Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By NathanLurker
Death Smiles on a Murderer is the standout here, I'd pick that one as a priority, it's gorgeous, just listen to this. I have a soft Spot for the Caltiki soundtrack. it's classic orchestral monster movie score with some exotic parts (mostly at the beginning) and I like the movie, I like Bava, check it out. And then there's Cipriani's Death Walks... or Morricone's Autopsy that I'd rate on the same level.
By inksb
Lunaris Records is having a 20% off your entire order with code RSD now through Sunday. I'll be ordering a few records tomorrow afternoon. I need Thug and Rage added to my collection.
By deafmetal
Fabio Frizzi - Manhattan Baby Beat Records LPF-061 second pressing (red labels) NM deadstock €50 euro:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/928653872

These are legit. Somebody found a box of deadstock in Europe. So far ten copies have sold on discogs. Prices have been creeping up from ~€50 over the last few months, so I would recommend grabbing one now before they disappear again.

Edit: Although this is indeed minty deadstock red label vinyl, somebody reproduced the picture sleeve which must have been missing from the unsold stock.
Last edited by deafmetal on Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By texasvinyl
https://www.dustygroove.com/item/771941

Walter Rizzati - Park Avenue, Dagored reissue for $7. And for you EU people there are folks on Discogs giving this one away. I don't think it's a bad one! A little late, so it has some cheese, but not overdone with schmaltz. Anyway.

Also, Big Bad Wolves, Death Waltz # 034, is basically free on discogs... $1.99 and not selling.
By monsterworship
texasvinyl wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:44 am https://www.dustygroove.com/item/771941

Walter Rizzati - Park Avenue, Dagored reissue for $7. And for you EU people there are folks on Discogs giving this one away. I don't think it's a bad one! A little late, so it has some cheese, but not overdone with schmaltz. Anyway.

Also, Big Bad Wolves, Death Waltz # 034, is basically free on discogs... $1.99 and not selling.

was just at Dusty Groove on Sunday, picked up a few non soundtrack things. always love digging there either way.
By Mateo Sanboval
monsterworship wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:22 pm
texasvinyl wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:44 am https://www.dustygroove.com/item/771941

Jealous.

was just at Dusty Groove on Sunday, picked up a few non soundtrack things. always love digging there either way.
By maxlevel

Cheers @texas! £3, plus £6 shipping for Park Avenue.
By Steve Powder
Hello again!

I got my 2x LP reissue by Santucci Scoppa and brothers from Black Cat records and I'm enjoying it right now. There's sealed copies for a low price on Discogs, I recommend the seller officinamusicale, great packaging. Killer jazz as mentioned by tex and million
By inksb
LITA still has a ton of titles in their blowout sale section, they put a few new ones in there that were not there when the sale launched. A few I noticed today.

The Blob '88 OST - Michael Hoenig - $12
Klaus Schulze - La Vie Electronique Volume 1.2 - $15 (I had to buy this one)
Candyman - Philip Glass - $12 (this was on sale before but went out of stock almost immediately)
The Burning - Rick Wakeman - $15
Cannibal Ferox - Roberto Donati - $12

If I had more $ at the moment I'd pick up all of those at those prices but I just grabbed Klaus Schulze.
inksb wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:36 pm LITA still has a ton of titles in their blowout sale section, they put a few new ones in there that were not there when the sale launched. A few I noticed today.

The Blob '88 OST - Michael Hoenig - $12
Klaus Schulze - La Vie Electronique Volume 1.2 - $15 (I had to buy this one)
Candyman - Philip Glass - $12 (this was on sale before but went out of stock almost immediately)
The Burning - Rick Wakeman - $15
Cannibal Ferox - Roberto Donati - $12

If I had more $ at the moment I'd pick up all of those at those prices but I just grabbed Klaus Schulze.
Quite a few good titles in the sale, really had to resist a lot!
By havershaw
Low stock alert:

That amazing (imo) new Halloween 40th anniversary Death Waltz mono release is down to 114 copies in Orange (the splatter one is sold out).

Halloween III is sold out of every color but white/black and there’s only 49 left of that.

Yes, I just spent a bunch of time on mondo’s site making myself feel better about the amount of money I spend on vinyl by saying “but look, these are almost sold out, you were smart to pick these up”.
By texasvinyl
I really hate to say it, but as someone who has been listing and selling many Mondo and death waltz etc records, for the most part none of these were smart pickups, they're hard to sell and taking haircuts on most of it. also plenty that I cant move at all. In hindsight the money would have been better spent acquiring clean vintage stock. Oh well
By inksb
I definitely noticed some of the older stuff did not hold it's value. I picked up a few LPs used at a record shop that very often over prices everything a few months ago and the most expensive was $16. But hey they still charge $42 for that sealed copy of Maniac Cop 2 that hasn't sold in 3 years.
By NathanLurker
Well, one thing to consider though is that there's so many releases in the soundtrack scene righ now, people might not be inclined to spent as much on second hand as before. I personally rarely buy second hand on discogs anymore because I can't even keep up on the new stuff that's coming out. Also, Prices are going up on the new stuff. I used to be able to buy a Waxwork record for 35/40 $CAD. now it's usually 55 to 70. I bought my first death waltz at 30/35 cad. Now through Mondo I get them at 45 to 55 cad.
By inksb
NathanLurker wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:16 pm Well, one thing to consider though is that there's so many releases in the soundtrack scene righ now, people might not be inclined to spent as much on second hand as before. I personally rarely buy second hand on discogs anymore because I can't even keep up on the new stuff that's coming out. Also, Prices are going up on the new stuff. I used to be able to buy a Waxwork record for 35/40 $CAD. now it's usually 55 to 70. I bought my first death waltz at 30/35 cad. Now through Mondo I get them at 45 to 55 cad.
Well that's because Waxworks thinks it needs to charge $40 USD for a double LP. I'm not sure if I'm just pessimestic or not but I feel like their little bubble is going to burst, they keep making these expensive double and triple LP releases every month or two, there is no way they are making all of their money back on them. With the increased use of the same artists creating too similar looking packaging, it's becoming over saturation. Seriously, who is buying all three of those Rob Zombie sets then the Child's Play and the Godzilla release, all with in two months. That's close to $200 for soundtracks no one even asked for.

I just saw a post by Four Flies Records that they are having a sale on select titles on their website.
By Hatter313
Not to stray too far off topic but one of the other things i think is starting to happen to this bubble is that there's only so many classic Sci-fi/horror/etc. scores left to reissue. sure there are a ton out there, but we are getting towards either the bottom of the barrel or stuff that will just never be licensed. I used to be a completist for waxwork, but the reality is that i don't care for much modern film scoring, so a lot fo that stuff just isn't worth it to me. i'm thrilled they are releasing that stuff and i hope these labels thrive, but i also miss the days of really gonzo releases. but honestly, how man unreleased"grails" from this particular niche are left. maybe 20? Goblin's catalogue has maybe never been easier to fill, carpenter the same. Popul Vuh, i went from being able to find none of it for years at reasonable prices to having three different pressings of Nosferatu in a year (including one vintage). really off beat Italian stuff, thanks to Spencer i've got stuff i never dreamed of hearing. Frizzi, Nicolai, etc. if its not out now it probably will be soon, and even original stuff is becoming easier to find. At this point the only thing i'm waiting for is for SOMEONE to figure out The Keep (and they've all been trying)and at then i'm not sure what else i'm really looking for. Orinigal Evil Dead, never going to happen. Fright Night, never going to happen. I'd love to see nice boutique reissues of Firestarter, Near Dark, and maybe we can get some Wolfen and Something Wicked love here so @Mateo and I can stop grousing, but A lot of what i've been buying lately has been new artists that do stuff in the vein of these older scores (repeated viewing, deadly avenger, etc.) and i love that stuff. i'm struggling to even think of what else i'd really be over the moon for these days, my collection has music in it now that would have been prohibitively expensive or impossible to own 10 years ago.

Short Version, I just don't know how much there is left in this genre to put out
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:11 pm Short Version, I just don't know how much there is left in this genre to put out
I agree that it seems the "big ones" are already tapped or are being drawn out and will be released soon (NOES single releases, FF13th, etc) but that leaves room for some of the weirder smaller stuff. I recently saw a fun little backwoods Sci-fi horror film called Night Beast, I would buy that soundtrack in heartbeat. I have no clue if any one will consider releasing it or not but there are tons of smaller lesser known films with scores that deserve to be put out.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:29 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:11 pm Short Version, I just don't know how much there is left in this genre to put out
I agree that it seems the "big ones" are already tapped or are being drawn out and will be released soon (NOES single releases, FF13th, etc) but that leaves room for some of the weirder smaller stuff. I recently saw a fun little backwoods Sci-fi horror film called Night Beast, I would buy that soundtrack in heartbeat. I have no clue if any one will consider releasing it or not but there are tons of smaller lesser known films with scores that deserve to be put out.
Yeah i do think that there's stuff like that thats waiting to be discovered/released. in a similar vein i'd probably scoop up a release of "Without Warning" in a flash, and my hope is that the larger more popular releases will lead to these labels being able to put out these really niche titles. Hell, i watched UHF the other day for the first time in years and was struck by how interesting some of the incidental music in it was. Stuff like DW's long teased "Lets scare Jessica to death" would be great. i finally managed to find a decent rip of "the Legend of Hillbilly John that has some great stuff in it, and something like that would be an instant buy for me. i just hope that this bubble can last long enough for those types of releases to be viable again.
By havershaw
I’m not a label completist, but there was a period where it seemed like I was buying almost every Waxwork and DW/Mondo release, and I feel like I have skipped *a lot* of them lately.
By texasvinyl
I wonder, based on no evidence at all, whether studios have gotten wise and are using Mondo and Waxwork to market new films. Granting favorable license terms would be a smart investment in today's multipronged marketing campaigns. Take Child's Play for example. If Waxwork isn't getting some sweet studio marketing cash to do that release they should be. It's actually the perfect fit since Orion is somewhat of a lower budget horror niche studio, and vinyl would be a smart use of a more limited marketing budget.

Anyway I bought them all because I liked them not as investment pieces, but it does sting when ones like Jungle Trap are not selling even at prices lower than what I paid just for sales tax and media mail shipping. Although of course other titles have fetched significantly more

I do have a shit ton of various Halloween releases I would sell. I'm keeping the Mondo variant B with the splatter and my originals of I and II, the rest are on the table if anyone missed any of them. A couple are event editions, maybe 4 and 5? Plus the other three and the slipcase. And death waltz ones as well. And the most limited version of the new one.
By inksb
texasvinyl wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:57 pm I wonder, based on no evidence at all, whether studios have gotten wise and are using Mondo and Waxwork to market new films. Granting favorable license terms would be a smart investment in today's multipronged marketing campaigns. Take Child's Play for example. If Waxwork isn't getting some sweet studio marketing cash to do that release they should be. It's actually the perfect fit since Orion is somewhat of a lower budget horror niche studio, and vinyl would be a smart use of a more limited marketing budget.
This would make a lot of sense and something I didn't even think of.