Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
static14 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:54 pm Long live the new flesh.
This is one has been on my want list forever. I think the reason of not having bought a copy is probably because I had the assumption this would have a re-issue. Don't understand why that is taking this long...
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:27 pm
This is one has been on my want list forever. I think the reason of not having bought a copy is probably because I had the assumption this would have a re-issue. Don't understand why that is taking this long...
Hey Ben - I think that perhaps the reason for no reissue is that there are no masters for Videodrome, or something like that. Don't ask me why I believe this, but it's a nugget of pseudo-info that is buried deep in my cranium.

Also, I believe that the Varese OG release is a re-record of the score as opposed to the actual tracks used in the film mix, which would sort-of line up with my above Speculation Part A. Which again, is un-verified and coming from the same subterranean part of my noggin, or possibly based on the last time I listened to the LP closely after re-watching the movie. Or maybe it was discussed in an article a million years ago or somesuch.

Sorry that none of this bad journalism really helps get you a straight answer as to why this no-brainer reissue hasn't yet come about (especially considering Mongo's ongoing Cronenberg/Howard Shore campaign...)
By ScoJo
ScoJo wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:06 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:27 pm
Hey Ben - I think that perhaps the reason for no reissue is that there are no masters for Videodrome, or something like that. Don't ask me why I believe this, but it's a nugget of pseudo-info that is buried deep in my cranium.

Also, I believe that the Varese OG release is a re-record of the score as opposed to the actual tracks used in the film mix, which would sort-of line up with my above Speculation Part A. Which again, is un-verified and coming from the same subterranean part of my noggin, or possibly based on the last time I listened to the LP closely after re-watching the movie. Or maybe it was discussed in an article a million years ago or somesuch.

Sorry that none of this bad journalism really helps get you a straight answer as to why this no-brainer reissue hasn't yet come about (especially considering Mongo's ongoing Cronenberg/Howard Shore campaign...)
Well there you go - I wasn't far off after all!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videodrome_(soundtrack)

"Differences from the film:
The album is not a direct copy of the music used in the film, but rather a remixing. The mix was an assembly of the film's original tracks that often accentuated the various layers of the music differently from in the film itself. It also includes elements of synthesized speech and sound effects.[1] The mix was done by Scot Holton of Varèse Sarabande, who loved many of the subtler elements of the film's score and made them more prominent in the album's tracks. Shore has commented that while there were small issues with some of the acoustic numbers, that "on the whole I think they did very well."
By deafmetal
I want you to stay away from them. Those mondo-weirdo video guys. You know, in some countries, like Argentina, making subversive video is considered a criminal act. They execute people for it. In Pittsburgh... who knows?
By milliondollars
ScoJo wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:18 pm Fucking a-m-a-zing.

Sounds at times like Morricone's Casualties of War or Once Upon a Time in America, mixed with Matsuo Ohno's electro-space explorations!

FullSizeRender.jpg
really great! awesome mix of out there electronica, classical elements and haunting wordless vocals. winner for sure!
By milliondollars
this is a record that i got recommended by the Piano Piano label owner and operator, which i am really thankful for. i was hooked instantly. this is the sort of unknown stuff that guys like Jonny Trunk come along with. was lucky to get a cheap copy and i can't believe how good this is! a soundtrack to a mysterious movie called Man Ruler Of The Elements. even the copperplate cover is a class of it's own.
there is no information on the internet. neither on the movie, nor the score which is a approx. 20 minutes long breathtaking single take. a wild adventurous journey like i have not heard before. in this 'suite' you get the sleaziest lounge, quirkiest organ, wild psychedelia, James Bond chase scenes orchestrations and insane big band blasts á la Colpo Rovente. even the sound quality is overwhelming. could not believe it when i have heard it for the first time. the B side is not empty but has full grooves with a strange frequency noise like this was a occult whispering to wake some medieval demons. insane record...

have found that this is has been recorded and uploaded by somebody called Mike Gerrish on soundcloud, unfortunately split in 5 parts but still good enough to hear the full score. highly recommended!

https://www.discogs.com/Cliff-Adams-Man ... e/14730690
20200227_064529_resized.jpg
20200227_064529_resized.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1266 times
By Bezulsqy
^ if you ever see another copy @Million: let me know! Sounds awesome!

Picked this gem up just now from the postal office. Sound quality is superb, even without a clean.