Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

For the past few years, I had my Rega RP1 turntable connected to a TC-750LC phono preamp (TCC Audio & Video) and then connected to my 2011 iMac, which was running macOS Sierra. My old iMac had a dedicated line-in port. The software that I used (and still use) is VinylStudio. It all worked great.

A few days ago, I upgraded to a new iMac, which is running macOS Catalina. I still have my Rega and my TC-750LC phono preamp. I did change the wire between the preamp and the computer to be two male RCAs (preamp) to a USB-C (computer). I can see this connection in the "Input" tab of my Sound preferences. However, I can't get any sound (other than white noise) from the turntable to be heard from my iMac. I'm not getting any sound level.

I did connect a U-Turn Audio turntable with built-in preamp directly to my iMac. With the preamp off, I heard nothing except white noise. When I turned on the built-in preamp, I got interference sound, and when I turned on a record, I got some vinyl noise, so at least it seems like my RCA/USB-C wire works in theory.

I'm not sure what to try next, although I haven't tried an RCA/USB-A wire. Any other suggestions to try first before spending more money?
static14 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:04 pm The rca to usb-c cable is the culprit unless it has an inline analog to digital converter.
Thanks for this! If I get an RCA to USB 2.0 cable, am I going to have the same issue and still need the converter?
Yeah you will still need an analog to digital converter.

Rca from the phono preamp into the converter, then usb out into the mac. In whatever program you use to record the tracks you select the ADC device as your input.
All right, that's what I'm going to do. Thank you! I was looking at the Behringer U-Control UCA222, unless folks have other recommendations.
https://www.roland.com/uk/products/ua-4fx/

I use one of these bought many years ago, can be got now at a reasonable price. The effects etc.. I don't really use (maybe give the lows a tiny boost sometimes) but key to this is having volume control for your digital in, there may be fancier peices of kit out there but Ive also had some bad experiences with cheap analogue to digital devices. I run my rega phono preamp directly into this.
Dollarhyde wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:06 pm https://www.roland.com/uk/products/ua-4fx/

I use one of these bought many years ago, can be got now at a reasonable price. The effects etc.. I don't really use (maybe give the lows a tiny boost sometimes) but key to this is having volume control for your digital in, there may be fancier peices of kit out there but Ive also had some bad experiences with cheap analogue to digital devices. I run my rega phono preamp directly into this.
I'll keep this in mind as I look around -- thanks!
I got Behringer U-Control UCA222 today and hooked it up, and everything is fine -- music coming through loud and clear! Figured I'd go for something a little cheaper right now just to make sure everything worked (and because the cost of a new iMac plus superdrive plus external drive was ... a bunch). I can upgrade later. Right now, though, I have sound! Thanks for your help, Static14!