Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
So I was wondering if anyone would be interested in this type of thread. I personally don't spin records all day, everyday. I don't have the ability to and don't want to put that much stress on my equipment :P

I listen to a lot of music digitally, whether it's at work, driving or late at night and I'm feeling too lazy to turn my system on so I throw on some headphones.

I also listen to a lot of music outside of soundtracks so I thought this might be an interesting way to see what others on here are up to in their non soundtrack & library spinning moods.

Paul Cary - Raven

Cary's third solo album, he's slow and doesn't put out a lot of music but I do love his work. If you are into low key garage rock with a more laid back folk tinge give this album a listen. If you have never heard him and just like garage rock check out his first album which I think recently was uploaded to streaming platforms Ghost of Man and one of my favorite songs, Coyote, which was released as a split 7" with Thee Oh Sees.
paul cary ravin.jpg
paul cary ravin.jpg (25.09 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
Sven Wunder - Eastern Flowers

Contemplating ordering this from LITA and have had it on the last few days. Pretty convinced I need this and the other album Wabi Sabi. Funky tracks with lots of Middle Eastern flair.
easter flowers.jpg
easter flowers.jpg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
Fred the Godson - Payback

I discovered him through Airvinyls Bandcamp page which releases a lot of local hip-hop artists from cities around me. They actually cover a lot of artists not just locals but that's how found them. Che Noire and 38 Spesh are from close to my area. Well I was just getting into Fred the Godson's last album over the last few weeks and the poor guy died from Covid just last week. He was only 35. His two recent albums were both great and I could easily have seen him getting more traction. If you are into east coast hip-hop give this album and his last, God Level, a listen.

https://fred-the-godson.bandcamp.com/album/payback
payback.jpg
payback.jpg (51.55 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
By vinyljunkie
Sure, wont give too much description but this is the non-soundtrack stuff I've been digging this year:

Peel Dream Magazine - Agitprop Alterna (MBV, Stereolab disciples -- done well)
Lewsberg - In This House, S/T (if you like VU, Lou Reed, give this a try)
Pure X - Pure X (new album from TX dream pop faves)
Witchboard - Membership (dark, gothy, 80's synth -- early Cure, Siouxsie influence)
Habibi - Anywhere But Here (indie, girl pop with a MIddle Eastern flair)
Bohren & der Club of Gore - Patchouli Blue (another masterpiece from the masters of Noir/Doom Jazz)
By inksb
vinyljunkie wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:47 pm Sure, wont give too much description but this is the non-soundtrack stuff I've been digging this year:

Witchboard - Membership (dark, gothy, 80's synth -- early Cure, Siouxsie influence)
Bohren & der Club of Gore - Patchouli Blue (another masterpiece from the masters of Noir/Doom Jazz)
I bought the new Witchboard the day it came out and completely forgot to listen to it. I put it on last night for the first time and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Noir/Doom Jazz sounds interesting. I will be adding that album to the queue :)
By vinyljunkie
inksb wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:55 pm
vinyljunkie wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:47 pm Sure, wont give too much description but this is the non-soundtrack stuff I've been digging this year:

I bought the new Witchboard the day it came out and completely forgot to listen to it. I put it on last night for the first time and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Noir/Doom Jazz sounds interesting. I will be adding that album to the queue :)
yeah, loving the new Witchboard! Do you by any chance have a digital copy of "It's Been Emotional", been trying to give that a listen before plunking down for the vinyl but cant seem to find it anywhere.

Oh man, if you dont know Bohren, you're in for a treat -- if you like what you hear with Patchouli, also check out their albums "Black Earth" and "Sunset Mission" -- and if you want more "doom" jazz check out an album by Dale Cooper Quartet & the Dictaphones (yes, an obvious Twin Peaks reference) called "Parole de Navarre"....soooo good!
By inksb
vinyljunkie wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:48 pm
yeah, loving the new Witchboard! Do you by any chance have a digital copy of "It's Been Emotional", been trying to give that a listen before plunking down for the vinyl but cant seem to find it anywhere.

Oh man, if you dont know Bohren, you're in for a treat -- if you like what you hear with Patchouli, also check out their albums "Black Earth" and "Sunset Mission" -- and if you want more "doom" jazz check out an album by Dale Cooper Quartet & the Dictaphones (yes, an obvious Twin Peaks reference) called "Parole de Navarre"....soooo good!
I do not, I've looked for one in the past and came up with nothing. Based on the tracklist 5 of 7 tracks on his bandcamp page on The Shivering Sands and Death Is Probably Closest. I'm not sure if they are older versions or exactly what is on the album. I've almost ordered It's Been Emotional a few times but never pulled the trigger because I didn't know anything about it.
By vinyljunkie
inksb wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:04 pm
vinyljunkie wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:48 pm

I do not, I've looked for one in the past and came up with nothing. Based on the tracklist 5 of 7 tracks on his bandcamp page on The Shivering Sands and Death Is Probably Closest. I'm not sure if they are older versions or exactly what is on the album. I've almost ordered It's Been Emotional a few times but never pulled the trigger because I didn't know anything about it.
Gotcha, thanks!
By inksb
Lots of music today. My wife had class so she was sitting in the living room all day on her laptop so no spins. All digital.

Ogre - Crossings (new Japanese ambient inspired album, he does a good job but doesn't quite nail the feel at times, still worth the $5 I spent on it)
Ben Salisbury - Devs OST (this one was intense and wonderful, I can't wait to pick the vinyl up, although I hope they don't use the artwork they currently have on the site with the ugly FX & Hulu logos)
Pye Corner Audio - he's been doing a new single each week, catching up today, they are nice.
Wolfmen of Mars - A Place Where Gods Go To Die (OST???) (seems like a western soundtrack, they go more garage sounds than spaghetti western, some good tracks and some that didnt do too much for me)
Snakes of Russia - At Home Alone With Lions (some musician that followed me on IG, he's been releasing random tracks for the last few months and finally put out an EP, it's pretty good. The guy is pretty damn talented)
Freedom Power (listened to a rip on youtube to see if I needed to own a copy, the answer was yes I did need to own a copy)
By vinyljunkie
yeah, the Devs score is fantastic! and thanks for the rec on the Eastern Flowers above, sooo good!
inksb wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:22 pm Lots of music today. My wife had class so she was sitting in the living room all day on her laptop so no spins. All digital.

Ogre - Crossings (new Japanese ambient inspired album, he does a good job but doesn't quite nail the feel at times, still worth the $5 I spent on it)
Ben Salisbury - Devs OST (this one was intense and wonderful, I can't wait to pick the vinyl up, although I hope they don't use the artwork they currently have on the site with the ugly FX & Hulu logos)
Pye Corner Audio - he's been doing a new single each week, catching up today, they are nice.
Wolfmen of Mars - A Place Where Gods Go To Die (OST???) (seems like a western soundtrack, they go more garage sounds than spaghetti western, some good tracks and some that didnt do too much for me)
Snakes of Russia - At Home Alone With Lions (some musician that followed me on IG, he's been releasing random tracks for the last few months and finally put out an EP, it's pretty good. The guy is pretty damn talented)
Freedom Power (listened to a rip on youtube to see if I needed to own a copy, the answer was yes I did need to own a copy)
By inksb
Glad you are liking Eastern Flowers, I think I've thoroughly convinced myself I need it on vinyl as well as his followup Wabi Sabi. I'll be placing a pre-order soon (probably friday)

Today's been pretty light on musical listening, I started listening to some episodes of Duncan Trussell Family Hour after absolutely loving his show The Midnight Gospel on Netflix. Talked with a friend about it and discovered he's a huge fan of that podcast and recommended a few episodes to get me started.

As for music I'm listening to

Herbcraft - Wot Oz - this is like Thee Oh Sees around Carrion Crawler era with more psych & freakout moments. The grooves are there carrying the songs with all the weirdo fuzz and reverb nonsense. I've always really enjoyed this album but it's been a while since I put it on.

Hiroshi Sato - Orient - this one I like to throw on every once in a while to see if it opens up a little more to me. I was recommened it around the time I started getting into YMO, Ryuichi Sakamoto and Haruomi Hosono. It never quite connected like a lot of the albums in that era and genre's. I don't dislike it by any means but I'm sure you all have those albums you feel kind of indifferent towards while listening to it. Nothing in particular grabs you. I actually have it in queue to play after Wot Oz.

J Dilla - Ruff Draft - It's Dilla, it's great. Wish he was still here making beats.
By vinyljunkie
yeah , the eastern flowers will be a definite purchase when the repress is out next month -- will have to give the wabi sabi a listen when we can hear more than just 1 track

Some other stuff I've been digging:

Melenas - Dias Raros (Trouble in Mind) -- really great indie rock from Pamplona, Spain (sung in Spanish), think jangle pop, The Clean, Vaselines, c86 etc...

Various Artists - What is This That Stands Before Me? -- Black Sabbath covers comp done by artists on the Sacred Bones label in honor of Sabbath's 50th Anniversary, some really good covers esp Moon Duo's take on "Planet Caravan"

Mogwai - ZeroZeroZero original score, another fantastic score from Mogwai

Tuluum Shimmering - Linus & Lucy -- Guaraldi's famous piano cue extended to an hour long psych, droney journey!

inksb wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:52 pm Glad you are liking Eastern Flowers, I think I've thoroughly convinced myself I need it on vinyl as well as his followup Wabi Sabi. I'll be placing a pre-order soon (probably friday)

Today's been pretty light on musical listening, I started listening to some episodes of Duncan Trussell Family Hour after absolutely loving his show The Midnight Gospel on Netflix. Talked with a friend about it and discovered he's a huge fan of that podcast and recommended a few episodes to get me started.

As for music I'm listening to

Herbcraft - Wot Oz - this is like Thee Oh Sees around Carrion Crawler era with more psych & freakout moments. The grooves are there carrying the songs with all the weirdo fuzz and reverb nonsense. I've always really enjoyed this album but it's been a while since I put it on.

Hiroshi Sato - Orient - this one I like to throw on every once in a while to see if it opens up a little more to me. I was recommened it around the time I started getting into YMO, Ryuichi Sakamoto and Haruomi Hosono. It never quite connected like a lot of the albums in that era and genre's. I don't dislike it by any means but I'm sure you all have those albums you feel kind of indifferent towards while listening to it. Nothing in particular grabs you. I actually have it in queue to play after Wot Oz.

J Dilla - Ruff Draft - It's Dilla, it's great. Wish he was still here making beats.
By inksb
That Sabbath cover comp sounds interesting. In particular Moon Duo doing Sabbath.

I ended up mixing in a handful of Jack White singles this afternoon along with his contributions to the Cold Mountain soundtrack. I really enjoy his Wayfairing Stranger.

Currently playing Madlib - Madlib Medicine Show Vol 4: 420 Chalice Allstars. A Madlib beat tape sampling various dub/reggae albums. It's quite great, I've always been a fan of the Madlib Medicine Show series he did. I have two of the volumes in special edition screen printed jackets, wish I had more but they were hard to get on release day and at that time I bought vinyl strictly from local shops.
By inksb
Boldy James & The Alchemist - The Price of Tea In China
The beats on this are fantastic. It's taken me a little bit to warm up to Boldy's voice and flow. His lyrics are great, gritty to match the beats but it just felt off at first. Well it's slowly creeping up my list of favorite hip-hop releases for the year. Every time I revisit it I enjoy it more.

Hunter Complex - Dead Calm and Zero Degrees
A good follow up to his last album, feels more lush in it's compositions but I think I like the overall feeling of the last one more. This is still great and I need to check out the 5 song ep that he released a few weeks ago that was recorded at the same time as this and Open Sea.

Jesse Daniel - Rollin' On
Not sure how many fans of country honky tonk there are around here but this album is excellent if you are into that. The pedal steel player on this album is unreal.
deafmetal wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 am Image
Listen to the full album here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15YWSlp ... s08Q2IIONk

Also on spotify, amazon, etc.
That movie absolutely screwed me up as a kid. I wasn't prepared for the depravity, though I'd probably seen far worse by that point. Either way, I never watched it again. And I honestly never new it was a Frizzi joint!
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:00 am
deafmetal wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 am Image
Listen to the full album here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15YWSlp ... s08Q2IIONk

Also on spotify, amazon, etc.
That movie absolutely screwed me up as a kid. I wasn't prepared for the depravity, though I'd probably seen far worse by that point. Either way, I never watched it again. And I honestly never new it was a Frizzi joint!
This is the score for the 2020 remake - with Barbara Crampton in the cast again though! Don't think I'm that interested in the film but would like to hear maestro's score.
Ah, my bad, Gang. I have even less interest in a remake than I do in rewatching the original.
ScoJo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:24 am The original score is a Richard Band joint @mateo, and well worth a listen. No waxed platter of that one (yet), though.
Pass. Too many conflicting teenage feelings about nipples and cannibalism down in that well.
By inksb
Don't worry guys, I watched the remake so you don't have to. It's terrible. Also Barbara isn't really in the new film, she is a hooded/cloaked character that shows up in the final moments of the film and she is uncredited (you only see the bottom half of her face), she was the producer on the film though. Everything about the film is pretty bad from actors to script and direction. It does have one shining moment and that's pushing the Lovecraft angle super hard in the final 5 minutes of the film which I actually did like. Everything leading up to it sucks, oh and the post credit scene is quite cringe worthy. Frizzi score was good though.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:54 pm Don't worry guys, I watched the remake so you don't have to. It's terrible. Also Barbara isn't really in the new film, she is a hooded/cloaked character that shows up in the final moments of the film and she is uncredited (you only see the bottom half of her face), she was the producer on the film though. Everything about the film is pretty bad from actors to script and direction. It does have one shining moment and that's pushing the Lovecraft angle super hard in the final 5 minutes of the film which I actually did like. Everything leading up to it sucks, oh and the post credit scene is quite cringe worthy. Frizzi score was good though.
This tracks 100% with my better instincts. Thanks for taking a titty munch for the team Inky!