Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By monsterworship
i'm still going into work daily. my county has issued a stay at home but you are exempt if you work at an essential business.
staying pretty isolated in my work area though.

its been 10 days since I've been in a record store, thats the longest in over 10 years.
xanax helps though.
By Bezulsqy
This morning things for me felt a bit depressing. I don't mind the empty streets and the working from home. I go out for walks with my dog regularly. But when I went to the supermarket this morning I felt the fear or panic from people. Everyone is doing his best to keep a save distance from each other. I feels like walking on eggshells.
When I cycled home I had to pass another cyclist who was cycling very very slowly. When I passed him I had to get relatively close to him because there was not a lot of room. He got annoyed and said that I had to stay behind him. I told him he should have cycled faster... Afterwards I felt a bit bad, because I did understand his sentiment, but I find it hard to consider how to act on those occasions.

Oh well. We make the best of it. Thankfully in The Netherlands we are still able to travel. Tomorrow my girlfriend and I will go to the Dutch coast to relax for a couple of days. Walking through some dunes and forest with our dog. Keeping away from other people :-)
By inksb
I feel ya @bez, the supermarket is very depressing right now. When I went last week there was barely anything on the shelves and it was mostly older people slowly wandering around trying to find stuff that just wasn't there.

Yesterday I ended up driving my vehicle around for 15 minutes on back roads because it hadn't been driven in 10 days and that's not good for it. It did feel weird though, I've only left my property twice in two weeks.

In other news I was cleaning up some overgrown dead plants in my side yard the other day and some how managed to get poison ivy on my arm, definitely the worst case of it I've ever had. What started as a tiny little amount actually had a terrible reaction and is now 2 inches in diameter of blisters. Nothing has even started growing here so I must have got into some of the roots in the dirt.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:34 pm (sorry for making light @inks ;) Sounds pretty nasty)
No worries, we need the levity. Also I love gifs of Jordy. While that's one of the weakest segments of Creepshow, I've always loved how goofy it was.
By ScoJo
In a film of terrific performances that are all 100% dialled in to the appropriate tone for the film, I would argue that King's is even the very best!

METEOR SHIT!!
By texasvinyl
Jimmy I hope you are okay. I am supposed to be a field employee making visits to clients. We are not doing that so I'm mostly working by phones. But I sure hope the lockdown doesn't go past April or I will start worrying more. I lost one of the folks that handles the desk work for a pretty good amount of stuff so I've been super busy, but I can't help but wonder what they're thinking about the field staff right now.
By Tron4Life
Parliament should today verify government’s proposal to isolate Helsinki region. Police is already putting up road blocks with military staff. There is no way out from here for the next three weeks.
I’m pretty comfortable with this as I had no plans of going to the countryside in the coming weeks. I also don’t have large social network so different kind of restrictions has so far had limited affect to my ordinary life.
By inksb
New York City is well past capacity for people they can hold in the hospitals, they are now going to use various venues and hotels to house sick people. This is going to get interesting. The hospital my mother works at in western NY only has 14 ventilators and they were denied the request to have more.

On a more positive note, I had to go to the grocery store last night and there was actually food this time. I haven't been able to find chicken for almost 3 weeks, frozen or fresh. Last night I bought both.
By monsterworship
inksb wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:50 pm New York City is well past capacity for people they can hold in the hospitals, they are now going to use various venues and hotels to house sick people. This is going to get interesting. The hospital my mother works at in western NY only has 14 ventilators and they were denied the request to have more.

On a more positive note, I had to go to the grocery store last night and there was actually food this time. I haven't been able to find chicken for almost 3 weeks, frozen or fresh. Last night I bought both.

but do you have Toilet paper?
By inksb
monsterworship wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:05 pm
inksb wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:50 pm New York City is well past capacity for people they can hold in the hospitals, they are now going to use various venues and hotels to house sick people. This is going to get interesting. The hospital my mother works at in western NY only has 14 ventilators and they were denied the request to have more.

but do you have Toilet paper?
I do! We got a pack of 6 last night, one of the last two. We have some at the house and a bidet attachment for our toilet incase the TP disappears completely and I need to clean my ass effectively.
By Hatter313
Hey guys, been sporadic lately. Unfortunately the week before this all started my client dropped me, so it’s been a pain to try and start a new gig in the midst of all of this. I know some of you are freelancers as well, so I’m sure you can imagine, I already had to cut way back on buying (and buy cut back I mean nothing at all) and now obviously that’s just going to continue.

Even though I work from home already this is still so surreal, although part of that could be that I’m right in the heart of the NY suburbs where the east coast outbreak started. Like...half a mile away from the original containment zone.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well out there, we’ll get through this in some fashion. Cheers
By inksb
Oh man, sorry to hear that @hatter. Hope you can figure something out. Stay safe and keep us updated even with the most mundane shit if it helps. Like many on here I'm a pretty introverted person in my normal day to day so the quarantine doesn't bother me but I do enjoy the conversations around here and just knowing people are still trying to live a similar existence to me.
By deafmetal
static14 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:35 pm VA has now extended the mandatory lockdown until June 10th.
Hey, that's my birthday, crazy. Maybe it will be six months or a even a year. The US has the potential to really fuck this up, I'm afraid. I have a lot of service industry friends that are laid off and trying to find a way in the new world. The local strippers are now delivering food for tips. All the grocery and warehouses are hiring, but their workers are also organizing and talking about striking over safety issues. They just put up plexiglass barricades at the local store last week and started wearing gloves, but nobody is wearing masks yet. I am working to help the public schools get their classes online with a priority on figuring out how to get the current seniors their final credits so they can graduate here in two months. I am thankful to have essential employment and a steady paycheck, and I really feel for those that do not and are anxious about paying rent and what comes next. I am trying to focus on the positive stories and people coming together and supporting each other. I like the support-your-favorite-record-shop idea and other local support options that are trying to keep things afloat. There are some grants going around for service industry folks to apply for. Anyway, not much in my life has actually changed other than I don't have to commute anymore, and we are all stuck at home with each other... for better or worse, haha. Actually, it hasn't been that bad so far. In fact....

By texasvinyl
USPS was given no money in the stimulus - 0!

They will be insolvent come June

Republican fuck nozzles have been trying to carve it up and sell the pieces to their campaign donors for decades. They're using Coronavirus tragedy to finally get what they want.

It's super gross. I am mad as hell.
By Hatter313
WHAT!

You know what, nah, I can’t even pretend I’m surprised. Their contempt for the American worker and labor is and always had been transparent, yet somehow they convince huge swathes of people to vote for them, blinding them with social ideology and fears of “communism.”

Sigh, this is getting more and more fun isn’t it!
By deafmetal
static14 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:31 pm You and me both. My Father worked for the USPS for his entire career. It’s fucking disgusting...
Same here, and my dad actually died in a vehicle accident on the job as a rural mail carrier. My family received a commendation plaque from USPS for his service. He would be rolling in his grave if he wasn’t a lifelong hardcore conservative Republican voter, lol.
By texasvinyl
Sorry to hear deaf! I love all our postal employees here and they've all been around forever. I consider USPS to be one of the true wonders of the world-- a massive logistics marvel that would be the envy of history. And hasn't used a penny of taxpayer money in 14 years.
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:09 pm
static14 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:35 pm VA has now extended the mandatory lockdown until June 10th.
Hey, that's my birthday, crazy. Maybe it will be six months or a even a year. The US has the potential to really fuck this up, I'm afraid.
I'm sorry to say, am inclined to agree I'm afraid @deaf. For one thing (and don't know if you're aware of this) but here's some shots of a live app a few days ago which illustrate how diff countries are handling the lockdown in terms of restricting air travel :(

Postscript- was sent to me so I'm not 100% sure it's for real.... I hope not.

253bf932-2212-4a9b-a875-480c05e205b8.jpg
253bf932-2212-4a9b-a875-480c05e205b8.jpg (92.07 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
9921d856-107d-45ec-85f4-8d764bac1370.jpg
9921d856-107d-45ec-85f4-8d764bac1370.jpg (67.04 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
18accad7-4cf8-41a2-9389-6716d1469b9c.jpg
18accad7-4cf8-41a2-9389-6716d1469b9c.jpg (74.16 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
46986199-58d9-4557-b1d1-b65548a1ed13.jpg
46986199-58d9-4557-b1d1-b65548a1ed13.jpg (133.67 KiB) Viewed 3698 times