Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By maxlevel
In 2008. How were they allowed to keep this one quiet?

I wonder how many classic film scores have been lost. Popcorn time for Universal Music
By inksb
Yeah, truly baffling that this didn't get out into the public. It's scary, I wonder how much we really lost.
By ScoJo
I actually read an article recently which mentioned this disaster, but was more about the problems of maintaining access to archive materials when companies send them to 'iron mountain'- even just finding stuff they know they have is pretty much a nightmare it seems.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:04 pm I actually read an article recently which mentioned this disaster, but was more about the problems of maintaining access to archive materials when companies send them to 'iron mountain'- even just finding stuff they know they have is pretty much a nightmare it seems.
Funny enough, the reason I found out about it was an article about Eminem stating that he actually backed up the master tapes to the Slim Shady LP digitally a few months before the fire. I was like what are they talking about and then looked further and realized the potential damage of this.
By maxlevel
The legal battle will be immense. What is now regarded as the ‘master’ for each lost track? Who now owns each track, as ownership and copyright all comes from the original article, the original piece of recorded music, or the original sheet music. Without the original someone must decide what the master now is because all royalties flow from that point. Never mind the damage done to each artist, each estate in cases of death. Half of LA is heavily financed by Wall Street investment portfolios which no longer have established prices for the defining articles.

Holy crap
By texasvinyl
All of this stuff is lost forever whether it burned in the fire or goes into Iron Mountain.

In Iron Mountain there is zero chance of making an accidental discovery and a pretty robust chance that 99% of what's in there never, ever sees the light of day ever again. Even the property owners don't have access-- they have to request a specific bar code and pay each time. The fire article talks about Chess master tapes just called "Studio" or "Session" ... Without a curator or access stuff like that is essentially gone forever, locked in the mountain until it rots and becomes worthless.

But this article will surely not help with used prices on stuff like Impulse original pressings

Perhaps it wasn't wise to allow basically two huge corporations to own the rights to virtually the entirety of all recorded music for the last 100 years.
By maxlevel
I saw that Bryan Adams put in a request to pull out masters of various things but received a message saying they couldn’t find the requested items. So, are they still there ojust in a box marked A, or a glob of metal? And, did they throw stuff out that wasn’t melted?
By maxlevel
@texas I guess the question is: how does Bryan Adams or whoever prove their music was in the fire if there’s no good system of catalogue? Universals defence will be “no, this wasn’t your music”. All they have is a 10 year old blob of metal, probably long gone in a landfill or something. There’s also statute of limitations.

“That wasn’t in here to begin with” is a very good argument. It suits UMG very well to have such a terrible catalogue system