Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

That FFVII remake is going to be a problem when it comes out. i feel like i need to be as productive as possible in the meantime.
By ScoJo
My new favourite band, Khruangbin - sweet instrumental soul/psych/thai moods with poppin' bass, laid-back funk drums and Bobby Beausoleil guitar workouts..... I can eat this aaaaall daaaay loooong

Revisiting a classic. Very fun and hilarious game. Playing on my 32" Toshiba HD CRT behemoth from 2003, best TV I ever owned. 16 years old and works like the day I got it despite many thousands of hours of use.
By inksb
I think I saw that they are remaking that game. Should be announced at E3 this week.

Those TV's were beasts. Also insanely heavy, not as bad as the Sony Trintrons but still heavy as hell.
By inksb
I'm still playing through FFVII, I have been grinding a lot, I have unlocked all lvl 3 limit breaks for every character (except Cait Sith since he only has 2). I'm very quickly approaching the end of disc 1, I'm not sure I'm ready for it as this is the first time I've ever used Aeris in my party full time and I rather like having her around. For years I wondered if I had over rated this game due to when it came out and how it effected me, wondering if nostalgia clouded my memory. I can honestly say it's one of the best RPGs ever made, it's not perfect and there are better RPGs (looking at you Chrono Trigger) but it's popular for a reason and it deserves it's praise. Also having the ability to speed up combat 2x or 3x is the greatest addition to these older RPGs, it really helps move the game along faster and grinding more tolerable.

I picked up the new game from Koji Igarashi, Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, which is the spiritual successor to Castlevania Symphony of the Night. It plays very similar to SOTN and the Castlevania Sorrow games. I'm about 7 hours in and have 45% of the map uncovered, it's great. Anyone who is a fan of SOTN should give this a shot. Buy it on PC or PS4 though as it's a mess on the Switch.

I was recently gifted an amazing item.

This is one of the best romhacks of Super Mario World with an entirely new and different game created using game assets. It's more difficult than SMW but not unfair. I've only played the first world on my computer in the past. This is a fully functioning cartridge that works on the original SNES, the person behind it does a few of these custom creations a year, he puts an insane amount of work into these and I was completely blown away by the quality. He was so kind to send me a copy for free, I'm eternally grateful to him. That's a legit game box, full color manual, posters, magnet, "advertisements" and poster. I am on a list for one of his next games and can't wait for it. Obviously with all the work he put in here and the cost of custom cartridges these are expensive, usually run between $125-$200 depending on what the extras are. One of his upcoming releases is for a game that has never come out in the US, he had the guide book fully translated and he'll be having a few copies printed.

I have placed an order for a Super NT by Analouge which is an HD compatible SNES that doesn't do software emulation like most of the retro consoles that allow you to hook up to an HD TV, so it's as accurate as possible with the least amount of lag. The SNES looks like poo connected to a modern TV so I'm really excited to try out the Super NT as I've heard nothing but great things about it. I'll post pics of that once I receive it.
@inksb
Wow! That is a beautiful looking cart and packaging.

If I had the time I would love to check out that hack. I used to play the hell out of supermarioworld back in the 90's , we would just complete the game, all 96 levels, over and over :D.

I recently got a SNES mini and have already got through most of the game, even though I have little time to play on it. I just started on super ghouls and ghosts last weekend, I really want to get good at that one.
By inksb
Dollarhyde wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:30 am @inksb
Wow! That is a beautiful looking cart and packaging.

If I had the time I would love to check out that hack. I used to play the hell out of supermarioworld back in the 90's , we would just complete the game, all 96 levels, over and over :D.

I recently got a SNES mini and have already got through most of the game, even though I have little time to play on it. I just started on super ghouls and ghosts last weekend, I really want to get good at that one.
Super Ghouls and Ghosts was a game I always wanted but never had. I've played it many times at friends houses and rented it often. I almost beat it once but it's on the long list of SNES games I must complete at some point.

I have the rom already patched so if you use SNES emulators I can send it over to you just let me know.

I was the same with Super Mario World, I could just play it endlessly. Every time I beat it I would just start over again. Sometimes I would see what the least amount of levels it would take me to beat the game and others I would just do every single level. I love that game so much. I'm pretty excited to give this one a try.

Also I've heard that the SNES Mini is pretty easy to hack so you can load more games than what came on it, is that something you plan on doing eventually?
@inksb

Me and an old friend would basically play SMW
between after school and dinner every day. Just completing it over and over again, I think it was the only game he had at the time :D, he had a C64 also. The last level we found was the secret exit on the ghost house in donut plains. We had no internet and didn't use hint guides. I think we found it after seeing the level available in a store demo unit. We were like how do you get there!!! eventually we worked it out ;) and got 96*.
SMW, a perfect game.

We rented G&G in the past, I never got far at all in it. But with the SNES mini's save function I really want to try and complete it, and then maybe with out.

Not planning to mod it but have been tempted, I don't play it enough as of now anyway.

The super NT looks pretty sweet there are some nice looking retro console/emulators out there. Is it the NT that essentially doesn't emulate. it in a sense downloads the ROM onto a card or something, resulting in better functionality.

Thanks for the offer of the rom, will PM you if/when I have the time to play it.
By inksb
The Super NT doesn't emulate the games, it actually plays them back perfectly. Everything is done through hardware there is no software emulation. All of the other retro consoles do software emulation, they are pretty good but they definitely have some issues, sometimes sound, sometimes image and usually there is some form of lag. When you load game roms onto the SD card, the reads the SD card like it's an actual cart. There are no save states, it will save the games if the games original had saves on them, like Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger and Super Mario World. But for games like Battletoads or Contra III, you need to beat just like you would if you own the actual cartridge. I foresee many frustrating and challenging months ahead of me :)

I am honestly blown away by the picture quality and the sound quality. I have played these games so much on emulators over the years that this is just blowing me away. One of the coolest features is that the audio has never sound this good. On the original SNES it had to go through a cheap DAC then out to your TV or soundsystem (if you even had one back then, I didn't), now the audio from the cart is being sent directly to my sound system via HDMI with no compression or shitty DAC to interfere, it sounds so clear and punchy. You all know my love for videogame music already so I'm just enjoying this so much.

Sounds like it Sounds and looks awesome inksb. I guess this would be better emulation than the SNES/nes mini? Which I think is software based emulation, I've been told it's pretty much a raspberry pi inside (the SNES mini not the NT)
By inksb
That is correct. The SNES mini is just a little emulator box. It's a decent one that requires no set up and is plug & play. The Super NT is really only for people who are really picky about how they play SNES games or just want it to look/sound the best. I wouldn't recommend it to most people due to the price tag ($180) but my wife wanted to buy me something and I had been eyeing this for well over a year. I've been getting by just fine with my emulators for years, this is just a really cool toy that I'm super happy to have.
After having not played any game for a year or two/three I have been putting some hours into Red Dead Redemption 2 on a PS4 pro I was able to borrow. Because of it I am not watching any movies at the moment. It is truly brilliant.
I hope to be able to finish it in a week or two and get back to movies because I forget to eat and sleep while playing video games.
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:48 pm After having not played any game for a year or two/three I have been putting some hours into Red Dead Redemption 2 on a PS4 pro I was able to borrow. Because of it I am not watching any movies at the moment. It is truly brilliant.
I hope to be able to finish it in a week or two and get back to movies because I forget to eat and sleep while playing video games.
It's a really good game that I never can focus on the story, I always get distracted and do random shit for hours on end. It's funny my father who used to play lots of videogames when we had an NES/SNES returned to video games around the time of Xbox 360, he mostly plays "war" games like World of Tanks and Ace Combat. I bought him Red Dead Redemption 2 for Xmas this year and he played it non stop for months, I would get random texts at all hours of the day and night about something he found and how I should go looking for it. Every legendary fish or animal he killed, he would snap a pic with his phone and send it to me. It was awesome to see him so excited to play a videogame.

If any of you are fans of Contra (Probotector for you EU folks), in particular Hard Corps or 3: The Alien Wars, then you really should play Blazing Chrome. It's incredible and much more "forgiving" than the old games but still as challenging. I highly recommend it.

By inksb
Since I have been on a bit of a SNES kick lately I have been re-purchasing games I once had that were lost to time, stolen or traded away. Yesterday I went into my local retro game store and picked up The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past for $25. I was very tempted to buy Final Fantasy VI but at $50 I chose not to as I already made two very large purchases over the weekend. One of which is SNES related and I will be posting this weekend if it arrives on time.

The cart looked in great condition but once I got it home I realized there was a ton of gross sticky residue on the bottom front that took two passes of Goo-gone to get rid of and some weird crusting in the grooves on the side and on the top which was pretty easy to clean up with some scraping and rubbing alcohol.

I did not get a chance to play it yet but I did put it in and test it out. It looks and sounds incredible and surprisingly the battery still works and has not been replaced as I opened up the cart to check the board.

Really happy to have this again, I think my original copy disappeared around my college years.

By inksb
NathanLurker wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:08 pm one of the best snes game. My personal favorite is Super Metroid but A Link to the Past is up there. I added Blazing Chrome to my wishlist on PS store. gonna wait for a sale
Agreed. I personally would put Link to the Past above Super Metroid but that is based purely on nostalgia. I did not play Super Metroid until the PS2 era, it was just a game I never bought or rented.

What would be your top 5 SNES games?

I'm not 100% on mine but it would probably be something like this.

Mega Man X
Zelda Link to the Past
Secret of Mana
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario World
inksb wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:39 pm
NathanLurker wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:08 pm one of the best snes game. My personal favorite is Super Metroid but A Link to the Past is up there. I added Blazing Chrome to my wishlist on PS store. gonna wait for a sale
Agreed. I personally would put Link to the Past above Super Metroid but that is based purely on nostalgia. I did not play Super Metroid until the PS2 era, it was just a game I never bought or rented.

What would be your top 5 SNES games?

I'm not 100% on mine but it would probably be something like this.

Mega Man X
Zelda Link to the Past
Secret of Mana
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario World
I can very much understand the love for Zelda and Super Metroid, those were great!
I have stopped playing vg since PS1 but I loved my SNES so much that I was very happy to discover 3 years ago that my gf still had one at her parents' home and we then bought some games from eBay etc. I have also kept a Nec PC Engine, would need to get that repaired but that's not going to happen anytime soon (need to make choices in life re spending free time now that we have a family ...).

I would say my Top 5 SNES games are:

Super Mario Kart (had so much fun playing this with friends)
Super Mario World
Super Probotector
Zelda Link to the Past
Street Fighter II
By inksb
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:53 am I can very much understand the love for Zelda and Super Metroid, those were great!
I have stopped playing vg since PS1 but I loved my SNES so much that I was very happy to discover 3 years ago that my gf still had one at her parents' home and we then bought some games from eBay etc. I have also kept a Nec PC Engine, would need to get that repaired but that's not going to happen anytime soon (need to make choices in life re spending free time now that we have a family ...).

I would say my Top 5 SNES games are:

Super Mario Kart (had so much fun playing this with friends)
Super Mario World
Super Probotector
Zelda Link to the Past
Street Fighter II
Nice list! Street Fighter II holds a special place in my heart, not the SNES version but the arcade version. It was the first video game that I was completely enamored with. I would actively seek out family members going to town so I could get dropped off at the store that had it in it's entry way. I was that punk ass kid that figured out how to throw fire balls and throw people, accused of cheating by many :)

I forgot that EU version of Contra 3 was Super Probotector and had the main characters changed to robots.
By inksb
deafmetal wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:59 pm @inks - Have you seen those 4' tall Arcade1UP cabs?

It would be much cooler to have an OG cab or to build your own MAME cab, but I have no idea what an OG cab sells for nowadays.
I have and I've even played a few of them. They are too small, two adults standing side by side is pretty uncomfortable. At $300 I can buy the material for a cab and build one myself. I have plans to build a cabinet in the future but that will probably wait until I buy a new house in a few years due to limited space in our current home. I'll be putting a PC that can run MAME & most of my fighting games in Steam. Probably hook up my PS3 to it as there are a few games stuck on there like Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix (which I really liked) and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

I do think that those little 1up cabs are cool and good for people that just want to experience those games on an arcade cabinet. There is a TMNT4 Turtles in Time/TMNT The Arcade Game cab coming soon as well as a Marvel cab that has Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men Children of the Atom & The Punisher. I've never played the Punisher game but those other two games were awesome.

As for OG cabs, I check my local craigslist every few months for one. SF2 cabs usually run between $600-$800 as far as I can tell, usually in OK condition. I almost had a SF3 Third Strike cabinet for $500, but it sold before I could get to it.
@inks - Great info, thank you. I was hoping they had solved any com lag issues with these new digital cabinets. I also felt it looked a bit small, but was hard to tell from photos. I have always wanted an original MKII cab or a pinball machine, but it's such a large space commitment. It would probably drive Jamie crazy anyway, haha.