Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
So I've been playing a lot and I mean a lot of Hades lately, it's probably going to end up being my favorite game of the year. It's one of the best rogue-lite games ever, I'd rank it right behind Isaac and Gungeon. It plays incredibly well, has a fantastic story with fully voice acted dialog for everything, great graphics and pretty deep gameplay. I highly recommend checking it out and at $25 it's a steal.

I've also been trying really hard at getting better at Spelunky 2. Notice I didn't say playing, you don't just casually play Spelunky 2, you have to beat your head against the wall for seconds to minutes at a time, get a little better each run. And sometimes RNG just fucks you terribly. It's easily one of the hardest games I've ever played. I enjoy it but damn does progression feel so minimal. I've only made it to level 2-4 three times. I'm dying less on the earlier levels and more afterwards, so eventually I'll get there. Recommended for those that like random, hard as nails platforming with so many secrets you'll never find them all with out help from the internet.

Monster Hunter World Iceborne released their final update with the black dragon Fatalis, a series icon and boy did they not cut any corners on it's update. It's by far the toughest fight in the entire game with no unfair bullshit mechanics. Just tough as nails attacks that come fast and he has some crazy AI. He will see you down across the arena, even though there are 3 others attacking it, he will try to snipe you with an attack to finish you off before dealing with the assholes poking him with sticks. The older fights with Fatalis while hard are kind of slow and a little boring, this fight is far from boring. The perfect way to end the game and it's major update cycle.
By inksb
75 hours later....I have beat Spelunky 2 for the first time. Holy hell is that game hard. I'm not done though, there's a lot more to uncover.

I've been playing a little bit of Odin Sphere lately, finished up the second story line, need to do 3 and 4 next. I also picked up Vanillaware's newest game, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim. Which apparently is a crazy visual novel with a little bit of strategy game thrown in. Sounds interesting and I will probably be starting it soonish.

I bought Borderlands 3 during the steam sale a week or so ago and it's more Borderlands but better.

My brother has always wanted an arcade stick but will never spend the money on buying one. So I decided to build him one. I built myself two over 10 years ago and thought it would be a fun project. It was but I spent way too much money on supplies and tiny little pieces I didn't factor in. It came out pretty good though.

inksb wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:06 pm So I've been playing a lot and I mean a lot of Hades lately, it's probably going to end up being my favorite game of the year. It's one of the best rogue-lite games ever, I'd rank it right behind Isaac and Gungeon. It plays incredibly well, has a fantastic story with fully voice acted dialog for everything, great graphics and pretty deep gameplay. I highly recommend checking it out and at $25 it's a steal.

I've also been trying really hard at getting better at Spelunky 2. Notice I didn't say playing, you don't just casually play Spelunky 2, you have to beat your head against the wall for seconds to minutes at a time, get a little better each run. And sometimes RNG just fucks you terribly. It's easily one of the hardest games I've ever played. I enjoy it but damn does progression feel so minimal. I've only made it to level 2-4 three times. I'm dying less on the earlier levels and more afterwards, so eventually I'll get there. Recommended for those that like random, hard as nails platforming with so many secrets you'll never find them all with out help from the internet.

Monster Hunter World Iceborne released their final update with the black dragon Fatalis, a series icon and boy did they not cut any corners on it's update. It's by far the toughest fight in the entire game with no unfair bullshit mechanics. Just tough as nails attacks that come fast and he has some crazy AI. He will see you down across the arena, even though there are 3 others attacking it, he will try to snipe you with an attack to finish you off before dealing with the assholes poking him with sticks. The older fights with Fatalis while hard are kind of slow and a little boring, this fight is far from boring. The perfect way to end the game and it's major update cycle.
I finally bought Hades when I had some PTO. I think I am on run 14 and beat the Theseus/Minotaur thing for the first time. I was stuck there for a long time. Totally agree, it's a really great game.

Past few months I've played Forza 4 Horizon more than anything. I love driving games but not full-on simulators, and they just loaded it full of cars and content. Visuals, optimization, it's fantastic. It is running just a shade under 144 hz and smooth as glass. It helps that it's one of the few games where I have at least a decent chance of beating someone I play online. I don't play online FPS, RTS, MMORPG but I am at least decent at a driving game with a controller!

Cyberpunk is out Thursday! I finally got the RTX 3080 on Saturday, so it's go time!!!
I will play Cyberpunk at some point, but it will likely wait until it's discounted, and probably when I'll have a PS5, I'm in no rush to get it, I just finished ''The Last of Us part II'' and am playing DOOM (not eternal, the one before) because I tend to play all those blockbuster really late after everyone. Next, I'd like to play Alien Isolation.
By inksb
So I have finally decided to get a nice keyboard. I picked up my first mechanical keyboard. I went with Keychron K8. I do all of my gaming from my couch, my computer is hooked up to my TV so everything is played on that so having a wireless keyboard is ideal for me (it's also capable of being wired too) . First thing I did was rip the keyboard apart, modded the case to have sound dampening material in the bottom. Lubed the stabilizers and swapped the stock keycaps for these. Overall seems really great. It has a bunch of ridiculous lighting settings too.

Lately I've been playing a bunch of random stuff. I beat 13 Sentinels which is easily one of the best games I bought last year. It's essentially a visual novel but with strategy game thrown in. Story was batshit crazy sci nonsene, I loved it.

Started playing Mario Sunshine, it's really fun, I never had a GameCube so it's all new to me.

Finishing up Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, which I started years ago. I finished one character on my first attempt but I have completed the last 4 characters and now need to do the ending sequences. To get the true ending it's a big convoluted but I'm gonna try to anyways.

Spelunky 2 I am two achievements away from 100% the game. They of course are the hardest two, no money run and 1 million gold run. I recently finished the speed run achievement which is beat the game in under 10 minutes. I cleared it in 8:36. Took me many failed attempts to do that.

Gunfire Reborn has been a really fun. I don't usually play FPS games but this one just clicked.

Any one else been playing anything fun? I still haven't managed to get a 3070. It's been brutal.
Neat looking keyboard.

Haven't heard of those aside from mario sunshine, never played much of that one either. I have a ring fit adventure thing coming in the mail. Maybe it won't be quickly ignored, at least that's the hope.

Otherwise I've only played more forza 4 horizon. A little bit of MS flight sim but I am not a sim guy. I do enjoy flying the small planes around looking at stuff but have no interest in learning pre-flight checklist and flying a jet on a 4 hour route.
The game looks freaking awesome, so it's really fun to pick a gorgeous airport like rio de janeiro and fly around for a little while.

I just entered a 'newegg shuffle' for the opportunity to buy a RTX 3070 strix. If I get it I'll let you know. They definitely got more expensive it is $90 more than I paid for the same part in October.
By inksb
texasvinyl wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:22 pm The game looks freaking awesome, so it's really fun to pick a gorgeous airport like rio de janeiro and fly around for a little while.

I just entered a 'newegg shuffle' for the opportunity to buy a RTX 3070 strix. If I get it I'll let you know. They definitely got more expensive it is $90 more than I paid for the same part in October.
Yeah prices have been jumping up over the last month or so. it's crazy. Barely any cards in the $500 range now. everything is $600+ except the FE but that's been in stock twice in two months and gone in seconds.
Booting up my old modded Xbox to play some Ninja Gaiden Black. The hard drive is not sounding so good. I'm worried it is on its last legs. This drive must be about 18 years old with many, many hours of use. There are a ton of ripped games and most especially save files on here. I've long forgotten how to get the data off. I think it involves running ethernet cable and doing an FTP transfer, I just don't remember anymore. A lot of good memories stored on here. The mod chip itself is external and connected by a very fragile ribbon cable. I think if I even move the thing too much it's toast!! I need to take a day off and salvage the data before it's too late.
By inksb
texasvinyl wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:53 am Booting up my old modded Xbox to play some Ninja Gaiden Black. The hard drive is not sounding so good. I'm worried it is on its last legs. This drive must be about 18 years old with many, many hours of use. There are a ton of ripped games and most especially save files on here. I've long forgotten how to get the data off. I think it involves running ethernet cable and doing an FTP transfer, I just don't remember anymore. A lot of good memories stored on here. The mod chip itself is external and connected by a very fragile ribbon cable. I think if I even move the thing too much it's toast!! I need to take a day off and salvage the data before it's too late.
Yeah it seems like you should try really hard to salvage that drive by backing it up. I never had a Xbox so unfortunately I'm not much help here. The recent news of Sony shutting down the PSP, VITA & PS3 app store is fucked and we are going to lose a lot of games. I know there is some PS3 emulation but it's still a bit rough most of the time. It's sad to lose a lot of that stuff.
By inksb
Alright here's what I've been playing lately

Killing Floor 2
I'm really not much of a FPS person but I've been playing more and more with my brother and his friends. I'm getting ok at them. This one is really fun. It's kind of like Left for Dead with waves of enemies then a final boss. You earn money each wave and buy new weapons/upgrades/armor at the end of each wave. It's fucking hard and intense. I've only played as the Gunslinger class which is dual pistols, I'm trying to level it up then I'll switch to a different class to try out.

The Binding of Isaac: Repentance
I love The Binding of Isaac, it's one of my favorite games of all time. I have over 600 hours into Rebirth & Afterbirth versions of the game. This new DLC adds completely new alternate path from the Antibirth mod from a few years ago, a few new bosses, a new path to a new final boss and alternate versions of every character that plays very very differently, usually with an interesting gimmick. This is hands down one of the biggest and "worth purchasing" DLC's I've ever spent $15 on, it will provide hundreds of hours of frustration for me lol. It also made it super fucking hard, I have to relearn enemy shot patterns and speeds because they have changed a bunch, new boss patterns, new bosses, new enemies, new room layouts, new objects in the room that damage you. They reduced health spawns and nerfed a bunch of overpowered items that would "break" a run. I already have 40 hours into it and have only unlocked half of the new characters, it's going to be a long road to completion.

Monster Hunter Rise
New Monster Hunter on the switch, it's incredible. End game content is a little light but they are adding more in monthly content updates, development definitely seems to have been effected by covid. Version 2.0 launched a few weeks ago and they added in Chameleos, which is a big purple elder dragon that is designed with a chameleon as it's source. He's a ton of fun to fight, I missed his inclusion in World/Iceborne so it's nice to see him return. They have added new variants that seem to borrow stuff from deviants from Generations Ultimate. Overall I love this game and have put in 100 hours since it's launch at the end of March.

This is Chameleos

I also just picked up Resident Evil Village, hoping to dive into that this week. All the reviews I've seen sound very promising.
Not sure if anyone else is as excited as me for Mario Golf. I can’t wait to pick it up after work and ignore my fam for a bit :). Anyone else planning on getting it? DM me if you want to swap friend IDs play some golf.
By inksb
CrossedPete wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:23 pm Not sure if anyone else is as excited as me for Mario Golf. I can’t wait to pick it up after work and ignore my fam for a bit :). Anyone else planning on getting it? DM me if you want to swap friend IDs play some golf.
I've never played Mario Golf but the new one looks really fun, I was thinking about picking it up but it probably won't be for another week or two. I'm a bit tapped out from buying this for my PC

I still can't believe I actually got one. I've been kicking myself since passing on the one @tex offered me shortly after launch because I thought the price was too high (not Tex's price, just the actual MSRP). I have a very old case, it's over 12 years at this point. It's full size but has some weird stuff in it's build that makes things difficult to fit in, well last night I installed the 3070 and it took me almost 3 hours of moving, rearranging, modifying stuff to get it to fit but it fits now! I also installed some new fans and a m.2 SSD as I was running out of space. I reinstalled Control so I can check out all of the cool stuff I missed playing it on Medium settings. I also installed DOOM Eternal as I've been holding off playing that until I got a 3070. I will not be posting a pic of the inside of my case because it's a rats nest of wires because I can't route anything nicely in that case. It's annoying.

As for games I've been playing lately, I picked up Chivalry 2 which I absolutely suck at, it's crazy how bad I am at this game. Still playing Binding of Isaac Repentance, slowly progressing through the DLC. I played Left 4 Dead 2 for the first time last week, I wanted to see what it was like since I'm very excited about Back 4 Blood later in the year and it's by the same team.

@pete I'll shoot you my friend code if I end up picking up Mario Golf
Nice!! Yeah those 3070s went way up because of tariffs and the aibs jacking prices

Check out Phanteks. I got a p500a case. It is very thoughtfully designed, big and makes cabling 100x easier than cases did back then. It was worth the $$. I realized I had my psu mounted upside down and was able to get it pulled, flipped and hook all the power cables back in without removing any other parts from the build. With my old case I would have had to strip it bare including the motherboard!
By inksb
texasvinyl wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:19 pm Nice!! Yeah those 3070s went way up because of tariffs and the aibs jacking prices

Check out Phanteks. I got a p500a case. It is very thoughtfully designed, big and makes cabling 100x easier than cases did back then. It was worth the $$. I realized I had my psu mounted upside down and was able to get it pulled, flipped and hook all the power cables back in without removing any other parts from the build. With my old case I would have had to strip it bare including the motherboard!
Thanks! I really like the way those cases look. I hate the whole "gamer" PC aesthetic. I like simple elegant design and these guys look like they have that in spades. It's gonna be a little bit but I may pick up one of their cases.
CrossedPete wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:23 pm Not sure if anyone else is as excited as me for Mario Golf. I can’t wait to pick it up after work and ignore my fam for a bit :). Anyone else planning on getting it? DM me if you want to swap friend IDs play some golf.
Pete, I'll likely pick it up this weekend and would love to swap IDs. I'll DM you this weekend.
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:50 pm
Pete, I'll likely pick it up this weekend and would love to swap IDs. I'll DM you this weekend.
Sounds good to me Jimmy 👍
By inksb
I started this back when I was making my brothers arcade stick, put it on hold for a few months and now that I've been playing so much Guilty Gear Strive I decided finish it up finally. Definitely needs more work but I'll get to it later. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

inksb wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:41 pm I started this back when I was making my brothers arcade stick, put it on hold for a few months and now that I've been playing so much Guilty Gear Strive I decided finish it up finally. Definitely needs more work but I'll get to it later. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Very very cool, Sir!!!!
By inksb
I played the beta for Back 4 Blood, the new co-op shooter from the Left 4 Dead (or some of them?) team. It's pretty much the exact same format as L4D but controls way better, looks fantastic, has a weird card system for perks during the matches and a really great weapon upgrade system where you get new sights/stocks/barrels as you play through the matches. I played almost 3 hours last night and had a blast, currently it's a closed beta for people who pre-ordered the game or got promo beta keys but in about a week there will be an open beta. I highly recommend checking it out if you liked L4D, enjoy zombie games and co-op shooters. If the beta is an indicator of what to expect from the full game it's going to be quite good.

I made another controller last weekend. This one is a Hit Box which is an arcade controller but instead of a stick for movement you use arcade buttons for left, right, down & up. Up being dedicated to your thumb similar to using the spacebar for jumping on PC. A friend of mine is converting an old stick he has to one and I thought maybe it would be fun to build one since I had some spare parts laying around. I made it out of oak and bought a pre drilled steel plate for the top. Made my life way easier. I hit lots of snags on this while building it, the wood I used was scrap from a project I'm doing with a friend and I didn't check it well enough before building the box and there's some major fluctuation in the thickness of the wood that fucked up how the top plate sits on it. Followed by oak just being too hard for the hardware I use for screwing down the plate, it snapped 3 screws in half and I had to glue the plate to the box. As for me using it, I dont' think I will very much, it's very counter intuitive to my years of playing on a stick and I simply fuck up inputs constantly. Still it's fun to mess around with and I'm glad I built it to try out.