Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By chiefbrody
I've only recently got round to reading the first 'Scored to Death' book. It's an easy read and there's an enthusiasm captured by J. Blake Fichera and the interviewees. It's succeeded in it's job if it makes you want to go out and buy some records, and it's done that for me.

Like some others, I've read much more during the past year than I have in years. I'm also reading an anthology of poetry (very much not my thing) curated by a songwriter I like, Paul Kelly. In my 'coming soon' pile is one of the Tales of Halloweenight collections (vol 5, I think), as we move towards the night itself. I've only read Vol 1 so far, and it was enjoyable enough as an October night-time read.
By Chuggers
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:48 pm A sub-genre I am not so well versed in.
Instantly looked to purchase this book....glad I missed the kickstarter because I would've splurged for sure
By Bezulsqy
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:48 pm A sub-genre I am not so well versed in.
Yes, I noticed that book last week. Will get it at one point. There are some very entertaining titles to be found in that genre.
By inksb
I've been putting off the purchase of this book for a while and realized a few weeks ago that there was a hard cover version available on Headpress. I spent the extra money to get it because I love HK cinema. It's an updated version of the original book from '96 titled Sex, Zen & A Bullet In the Head. I'm half way through the first chapter and already have 3 films to watch.

2021-09-21 (1).jpg
2021-09-21 (1).jpg (661.01 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
By tim28212
October reading lineup, Al Sarrantonio's Orangefield trilogy
Attachments
IMG_20210930_202029_078.jpg
IMG_20210930_202029_078.jpg (950.55 KiB) Viewed 3885 times
By Chuggers
inksb wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:15 pm
Chuggers wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:45 pm Just starting the Ito as well! My first of his, & pretty excited for the experience...
It's a good one. I just finished it last night. If you end up liking it I highly recommend checking out Uzamaki next (it's his best imo). Followed by GYO and one of his shorts collections like Smashed or Shivers.
Finally picked up a copy of UZUMAKI.....what a gorgeous book. I'm only opening it tonight but through about Chapter 5 and I'm stunned by the writing, the art, the horror....
By inksb
Chuggers wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:06 am
Chuggers wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:45 pm Just starting the Ito as well! My first of his, & pretty excited for the experience...
It's a good one. I just finished it last night. If you end up liking it I highly recommend checking out Uzamaki next (it's his best imo). Followed by GYO and one of his shorts collections like Smashed or Shivers.
Finally picked up a copy of UZUMAKI.....what a gorgeous book. I'm only opening it tonight but through about Chapter 5 and I'm stunned by the writing, the art, the horror....
Awesome. I'm about due for a revisit. I actually just got his newest book Deserter a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to dive in. It's a collection of early shorts and I'm curious if I've read any before.

I read Dune finally, really enjoyed it. Reading The Green Brain now at the recommendation of a Herbert fanatic. It starts off very confusing but it's kind of hooked me in with the opening action sequence.
By Chuggers
Wow...UZUMAKI...There's no way to overhype this piece of art. The storytelling, the artwork, everything is fantastic. Jaw dropping, visually stunning. It's not a reading experience I expect to be duplicated this year. Thanks for the rec.
By Chuggers
The Green Brain sounds interesting. I'd never heard this title when Herbert's name was mentioned
By Dollarhyde
Uzumaki is so good, I still need to pick up more Ito following this. I'm also eagerly anticipating the anime of Uzomaki that's in production 🐌😉
By inksb
Dollarhyde wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:49 am

Uzumaki is so good, I still need to pick up more Ito following this. I'm also eagerly anticipating the anime of Uzomaki that's in production 🐌😉
The preview that was posted last year where they apologized for the delay but wanted to show us their progress was incredibly impressive. I hope it comes out this year.

I recommend checking out Gyo next for a larger story and then maybe diving into some of his short collections like Fragments of Horror or Shiver.

I picked up the audio book of My Heart Is A Chainsaw, heard some positive reviews over the last few months and figured I'd check it out.
By Dollarhyde
Thanks for the recs @inks Gyo has been one I've thought of getting for a while, his recent "Venus in the blindspot" sounds interesting.

I still have Umezu's drifting classroom , and Matsumoto's harlock vol2 to read first, and vol6 of the incal 🤦

Curious about that audiobook, sounds interesting too.
By Chuggers
I think GYO is next on my list. TOMIE looks intriguing as well...

I've yet to read or hear a bad review of My Heart is A Chainsaw. His bibliography seems to be on the cusp of universal acclaim after the last two titles and the excitement surrounding the next title in this series...

Have you ever read Matthew Bartlett? Very interesting writer, he writes and self-publishes a lot of interconnected, nightmarish books & chapbooks revolving around an almost pirate, supernatural & occult radio station who's broadcasts lure, ensnare and destroy those that listen ...based in Leeds, Massachusetts.
Gateways to Abomination is THE starting point and it's brilliant.

He has done a couple of projects with Cadabra Records as well...

Either way, highest possible recommendation, It will get under your skin....
By inksb
Chuggers wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:37 pm I think GYO is next on my list. TOMIE looks intriguing as well...

I've yet to read or hear a bad review of My Heart is A Chainsaw. His bibliography seems to be on the cusp of universal acclaim after the last two titles and the excitement surrounding the next title in this series...

Have you ever read Matthew Bartlett? Very interesting writer, he writes and self-publishes a lot of interconnected, nightmarish books & chapbooks revolving around an almost pirate, supernatural & occult radio station who's broadcasts lure, ensnare and destroy those that listen ...based in Leeds, Massachusetts.
Gateways to Abomination is THE starting point and it's brilliant.

He has done a couple of projects with Cadabra Records as well...

Either way, highest possible recommendation, It will get under your skin....
Gyo is a great place to go to next. Tomie I may caution you on, it's an excellent story but it's very long and can be a touch repetitive because it was written over a long time and lots of the stories are very similar. I would say maybe check out some of his short collections before diving into Tomie. My progression was Uzumaki, random shorts that I found online, Gyo, Tomie and then his short collections. I was least engaged in Tomie and picked it up several times over the span of months to continue reading it, it didn't grab me like his other work initially. Once I finally got into the groove I loved it. Maybe it was just me being weird but figured I'd share my experience with it.

As for Matthew Bartlett, I've never heard of him but Gateways to Abomination was $8 on Amazon so I just picked up a copy.

I finally started My Best Friends Exorcism today, really enjoyable so far. I'm not very far into it but Grady's writing is just what I needed right now. I started this instead of My Heart Is a Chainsaw because my wife is going to put her Audible account on hold at the end of the month to catch up on some books and this was showing up as being in our library but neither of us bought it. So I figured I'd listen to it before the account goes on hold in case it was some promotional thing.
By Chuggers
Inks, I appreciate the authentic advice based on your reading experience. You don't often get that kind of response. I'll make GYO my next Ito after I tackle some of these stacks that ate turning into multiple bookshelves.....

I'll be interested in your reaction to Bartlett.
By inksb
I finished My Best Friends Exorcism over the weekend, thanks for the recommendation on that one @hatter. I can honestly say that one lived up to the hype with in the horror community. I had an absolute blast with it, I grabbed the audio book from Audible and it's one of the best readings I've heard in a while. Hit's the 80's kid nostalgia just right while also capturing how important everything feels at that age while in reality it's usually so fucking minor it's not worth getting upset over. At first I was a little annoyed with the wrap up at the end but as it actually finished I thought it was quite fitting. Definitely recommend it to any one else out there who hasn't read it yet.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:51 pm I finished My Best Friends Exorcism over the weekend, thanks for the recommendation on that one @hatter. I can honestly say that one lived up to the hype with in the horror community. I had an absolute blast with it, I grabbed the audio book from Audible and it's one of the best readings I've heard in a while. Hit's the 80's kid nostalgia just right while also capturing how important everything feels at that age while in reality it's usually so fucking minor it's not worth getting upset over. At first I was a little annoyed with the wrap up at the end but as it actually finished I thought it was quite fitting. Definitely recommend it to any one else out there who hasn't read it yet.
He’s really great, I thought his latest was a bit of a dud and the first time he really got lost in his concept too much at the sacrifice of an interesting story, but it was still good, just not great, and I’ve felt all his others so far have been great. Looking forward to him tackling a classic ghost story next up, I think in a few months?
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:27 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:51 pm I finished My Best Friends Exorcism over the weekend, thanks for the recommendation on that one @hatter. I can honestly say that one lived up to the hype with in the horror community. I had an absolute blast with it, I grabbed the audio book from Audible and it's one of the best readings I've heard in a while. Hit's the 80's kid nostalgia just right while also capturing how important everything feels at that age while in reality it's usually so fucking minor it's not worth getting upset over. At first I was a little annoyed with the wrap up at the end but as it actually finished I thought it was quite fitting. Definitely recommend it to any one else out there who hasn't read it yet.
He’s really great, I thought his latest was a bit of a dud and the first time he really got lost in his concept too much at the sacrifice of an interesting story, but it was still good, just not great, and I’ve felt all his others so far have been great. Looking forward to him tackling a classic ghost story next up, I think in a few months?
I plan on reading the Vampire one after I get a few more of these books knocked off my reading list
By Hatter313
Speaking of which, yeah I’ll be packing some stuff up soon lol, if your reading pile is starting to get small…
By tim28212
going through my classical collection, of which I maybe have 30 LPs, to see if there is anything to let go and getting into this. 100 pages in and so far pretty good.
Attachments
P4140101.JPG
P4140101.JPG (224.11 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
By ScoJo
tim28212 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:32 pm going through my classical collection, of which I maybe have 30 LPs, to see if there is anything to let go and getting into this. 100 pages in and so far pretty good.
Look forward to your thoughts!
By tim28212
@Scojo, I thought BS was pertty good. Nothing super special. Although, I did really like the Overlook bleed through even though it didn't amount to anything. I think I liked The Institute better. I heard BS was getting a limited series TV adaption by JJ Abrams for HBO. It should be good. I still need to find and view The Outsider.

Currently reading this. It's a big one, 700+ pages. There is alot going on and half way through I'm not really sure where it's going or how things are going to come together. Definetly enjoying it.
Attachments
P5040129.JPG
P5040129.JPG (259.41 KiB) Viewed 3049 times
By Bezulsqy
I haven’t read anything from Stephen King in 25 years… I am on a week long holiday at the Dutch coast at the moment so a good time to get reacquainted.
Attachments
61CFE039-254A-46BB-A5AF-5DC09A22D409.jpeg
61CFE039-254A-46BB-A5AF-5DC09A22D409.jpeg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 3013 times
By ChrisMcQueen007
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:24 pm I haven’t read anything from Stephen King in 25 years… I am on a week long holiday at the Dutch coast at the moment so a good time to get reacquainted.
Nice, enjoy your time off!
By Bezulsqy
So I really liked Billy Summers. It was an easy and entertaining read.
Can someone recommend some other Stephen King that is modern or feels it. I am going on another holiday in a week and I need some reading material.