Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By tim28212
Cracking open Robert McCammon's 'The Listener' with Steve Moore providing the musical background. If you've never read any of McCammon's stuff you need to do yourself a favor and pick something of his up. Everything he does is worth reading but my 2 favorites are 'Boys Life', a wonderful coming of age book or "Swan Song", a post-apocalyptic novel in the same vein as 'The Stand'. If werewolves are more your style he has a great Nazi hunter
werewolf novel called The Wolf's Hour.
Attachments
20190305_191009[1].jpg
20190305_191009[1].jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 7659 times
By Mateo Sanboval
What a truly fine idea. Thank you, Tim.
By monsterworship
I just picked up a copy of the biography of Arthur Lee from Love.

The larger biography Forever Changes goes for a bit of money, so I passed on that for now.
lovebook1.jpg
lovebook1.jpg (6.12 KiB) Viewed 7481 times
By inksb

I just finished this. It was a very enjoyable and fairly quick read. The basic story is what if the Mystery Team (Scooby Doo) solved a crazy mystery as young teens and then grew up. The book starts when they are in their mid 20's, their lives are a mess and they get back together to find out what really happened on the night they supposedly solved that mystery years ago. Obviously they can't use the Hanna Barbara characters here so they are just slightly altered versions of each. It's pretty clever, the mystery was fun to piece together and it goes in a direction I wanted and hoped for. I'm a big sucker for local folklore even if it's made up for the book itself.
By Mateo Sanboval
monsterworship wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:47 pm I just picked up a copy of the biography of Arthur Lee from Love.

The larger biography Forever Changes goes for a bit of money, so I passed on that for now.

lovebook1.jpg
I've always found Lee in particular, and Love in general, to be pretty fascinating. I don't read a lot of musical biographies. Please let us know how you get on with it.
By Hatter313
Oh solid thread idea. Recently reread mccammons “they thirst” actually, once of the better vampire novels coming out of the paperback boom of the 70’s/80’s horror bubble.

I’m yoyoing right now between a nonfiction book about Robert Rogers during the French/Indian war in the adirondacks and re-reading Manly Wade Wellmans whole body of pulp work.
By ScoJo
Love. This. Thread.

Especially if folks are gonna pair their readin' with some spinnin', as exemplified by the Good Brother Timothy in his inaugural posting :D

I'll never forget the time that I read Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg with Trevor Jones film soundtrack on repeat in the background, in one sitting, and I finished the last line of the book as the final heartbeat grooves of the LP played out....

'Johnny...'
By deafmetal
I know I'm decades behind in reading this, but Jamie just gave me a copy of it as I was not familiar. It's such a brutal takedown of modern humanity. I now feel depressingly enlightened.

Previous reads:
- The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest
- The Fall of Gondolin (Tolkien)
By Jimmy_Mike
I weirdly read The Shining while listening to Jim James’ “Regions of Sound and Light of God” on repeat and they are now forever linked. True story!
By lazyben
I don’t have that much time for reading currently but I’m slowly working through the David Lynch biography/autobiography . Interesting format but they don’t repeat each other much even when talking about the same event.
By Hatter313
Finally picked up “The Incal” my jodorowsky and moebius....oh man this is just as awesome as I’ve always heard and it’s stunning it took me this long to finally get to it.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:54 pm Finally picked up “The Incal” my jodorowsky and moebius....oh man this is just as awesome as I’ve always heard and it’s stunning it took me this long to finally get to it.
I've always wanted to read that. The artwork looks incredible.

I just read this the other evening, I've been putting off buying it for ages but I received some Amazon credit this week and thought it was the perfect time to pick it up. I loved it, I read it in one sitting while listening to PHV new LP and Golden Axe I.

The writing is probably the weakest I've seen from Junji but the story is great and the artwork is excellent while veering into some truly disturbing stuff in the later half. My biggest criticism is just the main characters dialog, it could very well be a product of a mediocre translation or it just isn't very good. The artwork carries it and that's just fine with me honestly.
By Hatter313
Inks, The Incal is worth the hype, very cool. Amazing how many things seem inspired by it. They took a lot of what they wanted to do with Dune and reworked it for this series and then apparently even more later on. I picked up a bunch of his other work in the same universe, and it seems that anything he wanted to do with dune eventually made its way into this stuff, some of the story arcs for the prequels and spinoffs he’s been doing wrapped up as early as last year, so there’s a lot of material to dig into.

I also highly recommend pairing it with the score to the dune documentary, or any synthy throbbing stuff really. I read the whole thing to that, the new PHV, and the new Kilduff and it was exactly what was needed.

It’s a amazing how much of it made it’s waybi to the fifth element, even just little world building details that moebius reused.
By Dollarhyde
Glad to see some love for the incal, I have the over sized coffee table prints of it. Will have to post some pics, although I still need to get the last volume. The artwork is so beautiful. I did find the story a little lacking a times.

@hattter I would definitely recommend checking jodo's metabarons saga very epic and the story has some great twists and turns to it. Amazing artwork too by Juan Gimenez.
By Hatter313
Metabarons on its way from amazon already haha.
By Dick_Tremayne
Today I finished The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy. It's the second book in his LA Quartet and I absolutely loved it. Tonight I started The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. It's the final book in his Mistborn Trilogy and I'm anxious to see how it ends.
By ScoJo
I still have my original Incal books from Epic, late 80s - I first read them at the height of my Jodo obsession whilst laid up in bed with a high fever. Life-changer.

Can also highly recommend finding Jodo and Moebius' all time classic LES YEUX DU CHAT which has had a number of re-prints, and SON OF EL TOPO, the first volume of which dropped in Dec and is fantastic!
By Hatter313
Dick_Tremayne wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:39 am Today I finished The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy. It's the second book in his LA Quartet and I absolutely loved it. Tonight I started The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. It's the final book in his Mistborn Trilogy and I'm anxious to see how it ends.
That LA quartet is some of the best period fiction ever.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:04 pm
Dick_Tremayne wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:39 am Today I finished The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy. It's the second book in his LA Quartet and I absolutely loved it. Tonight I started The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. It's the final book in his Mistborn Trilogy and I'm anxious to see how it ends.
That LA quartet is some of the best period fiction ever.
Seconded.
By tim28212
So happy this thread is getting some activity. I really wasn't sure it would. It's nice to know others like pairing reading and spinning. One that note, this is my next read. This is book 11 in his Phil Rickman's Merrily Watkins series. I always enjoy Phil Rickman and if anyone hasn't read any of his stuff you should give him a try. HIs books are spooky, eerie mysteries with a touch of the supernatural. For this kind of read I need scores that are spooky but low keyed. I'm thinking The Changling (Rick Wilkins/Ken Wannberg/Howard Blake), Ghost Story (Philippe Sarde) , and The Ninth Gate (Wojciech Kilar) should get me started.
Attachments
20190318_184003[1].jpg
20190318_184003[1].jpg (574.5 KiB) Viewed 7501 times
By tim28212
Book 2 in Dean Kootz Jane Hawk series. These books are action packed, conspiracy, suspense thrillers. Tonight I'm going to start with some James Horner Patriot Games and Clear And Present Danger. Later I'll probably put on JNH's The Fugitive and a few JG, Air Force one and Executive Decision. Happy reading all.
Attachments
20190331_183053[1].jpg
20190331_183053[1].jpg (574.65 KiB) Viewed 7480 times
By inksb
I just finished this book

It was a brisk read, an interesting story that has some weird and frustrating character decisions but overall I enjoyed my time with the book and very surprised they went in a certain direction. The set up is a little girl and her two fathers are vacationing in the middle of nowhere New Hampshire when a mysterious man walks up to the cabin and basically tells them that one of the three must sacrifice themselves otherwise the world is going to end in a few days. He can't kill them, it must be a willing sacrifice from one of the three. There's a throwaway line in the book that made me chuckle, they reference Goonies and one of the characters says she still loves the movie and doesn't care what any one else says these days. Referring to the weird backlash that Goonies has received over the last few years from idiots on the internet.
By Hatter313
static14 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:19 pm Just finished this up a few days ago as a beach read.

His whole series is really great, highly recommended