Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
tim28212 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:51 pm This is pretty much what I've been reading the first quarter of 2023

Greg Iles is a new author I've discovered. His Pen Cage books (Game,Angel) are really hard to put down. 24 read more like a movie (which it was made into "Trapped") and was more easy for my to put down. Still good though.

Trying to get caught up on my King this year. I'd read Box when it first came out but gave it a re-read as a refresher before finishing the trilogy. Enjoyed the first half of Fairy Tale better than the second and really enjoyed reading another adventure of Holly's in If It Bleeds.

Simon Clark is a hit or miss for me. The short story collection was pretty good but the others, "meh". I think his earlier works are better.

Short story collection from Freemen had some good stuff in it. The Road was good. Took a while for me to get into it. But still not really sure why it got so much attention. Teeth and Chalk Man were both quick reads that were pretty good. Not sure any of these will stay in my collection but not sorry to have read them.
I think it’s important to remember that the Road comes with the authors pedigree as well, while a lot of it is maybe familiar to genre readers a lot of people had never read anything like it but McCarthy himself carries extreme weight. I’d go as far as saying he’s the greatest living American writer so anything he writes gets a ton of attention. His latest is legit one of the finest novels I’ve ever read…and it’s taking me forever to get though but it’s so deeply rewarding.
By zuko
deafmetal wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:21 pm I finished the Southern Reach trilogy. Went through the first two books quickly, but Acceptance was a bit much at times. I both appreciated and also did not want to know so much of the backstory to Area X. Sometimes the alien mystery is better, but it still left enough unanswered to be enjoyable.
I need to finish this too. Raced through the first book, but hit a bit of a brick wall on the second one.
By tim28212
ScoJo wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:40 pm Lovely Tim!

That was his first Bachman book, wasn’t it?
No, Rage was the first Bachman book. But King has the rights to it and is keeping it out of print.

Long Walk was the second.
By deafmetal
tim28212 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:53 pm
ScoJo wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:40 pm Lovely Tim!

That was his first Bachman book, wasn’t it?
No, Rage was the first Bachman book. But King has the rights to it and is keeping it out of print.

Long Walk was the second.
Long Walk is a merciless read. It really got to me. Nice edition you picked up there, @Tim.
By Chuggers
That LONG WALK looks incredible, I haven't had the courage to unwrap mine (3 dogs and a 3.5 year old daughter)
By Hatter313
The long walk is easily one of my favorite King pieces ever. I got my hands on a first ppb edition of the running man this year, I’d love to eventually get original firsts of original ppb Bachman 4, although road work is scarce, Long walk is pricey and oh man do the prices shoot up for Rage for obvious reasons.
By tim28212
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:37 am The long walk is easily one of my favorite King pieces ever. I got my hands on a first ppb edition of the running man this year, I’d love to eventually get original firsts of original ppb Bachman 4, although road work is scarce, Long walk is pricey and oh man do the prices shoot up for Rage for obvious reasons.
I have a 1st edition of Running Man also. It's a bit worn. I actually picked it up used before finding out the it was SK. It would be pretty cool to have all the ppb originals.
By tim28212
Chuggers wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:36 am That LONG WALK looks incredible, I haven't had the courage to unwrap mine (3 dogs and a 3.5 year old daughter)
I debated on unwrapping mine but decide to do it. I do like to make sure I actually get the signature sheet in my signed editions. I've heard stories of them getting left out from time to time. :)
By tim28212
inksb wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:01 pm I've never read any of the Bachman books....
I recommend The Bachman Books should you ever come across it in any used bookstore. It's getting pricey on ebay but can be found at a reasonable price occasionally.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:01 pm I've never read any of the Bachman books....
They are great
By static14
Started reading Heat 2 during spring break. I'm about half way through and really digging it so far.
By Chuggers
tim28212 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:04 pm
Chuggers wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:36 am That LONG WALK looks incredible, I haven't had the courage to unwrap mine (3 dogs and a 3.5 year old daughter)
I debated on unwrapping mine but decide to do it. I do like to make sure I actually get the signature sheet in my signed editions. I've heard stories of them getting left out from time to time. :)
Luckily I skipped the signed edition, so no worries there!
By Chuggers
Working my way through the FATALE horror noir series by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips'...really enjoyed the first two volumes!
By NathanLurker
Chuggers wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:50 pm Working my way through the FATALE horror noir series by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips'...really enjoyed the first two volumes!
Fatale is amazing ! Good series, I'm due for a reread
By Chuggers
NathanLurker wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:16 pm
Chuggers wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:50 pm Working my way through the FATALE horror noir series by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips'...really enjoyed the first two volumes!
Fatale is amazing ! Good series, I'm due for a reread
I just finished Volume IV...& it just keeps getting better! Holding off on this final Volume for just a couple hours. Maybe. I'm completely absorbed and invested but too close to the end....
By reddye6
Reading an oral history of the Some Bizzare label, which put out releases by Soft Cell, Foetus, Swans, The The, and a slew of others. Their compilation “If You Can’t Please Yourself, You Can’t Please Your Soul” was a huge musical influence on my teenage life and opened up a new musical direction for me. It’s a fun and interesting read, full of personal and financial drama.
Attachments
9061F2C7-4B30-40A3-9CBE-916620E892C8.jpeg
9061F2C7-4B30-40A3-9CBE-916620E892C8.jpeg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 1583 times
By tim28212
Looking forward to finishing The Only Good Indians Stephen Graham Jones tonight.

I feel like it would make a good netflix movie.
By Chuggers
reddye6 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:20 pm Reading an oral history of the Some Bizzare label, which put out releases by Soft Cell, Foetus, Swans, The The, and a slew of others. Their compilation “If You Can’t Please Yourself, You Can’t Please Your Soul” was a huge musical influence on my teenage life and opened up a new musical direction for me. It’s a fun and interesting read, full of personal and financial drama.
This looks rad
By Hatter313
tim28212 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:20 pm Looking forward to finishing The Only Good Indians Stephen Graham Jones tonight.

I feel like it would make a good netflix movie.
That feels like a slur lol. I adored that book, deeply obsessed with his prose and his perspective. He’s an absurdly prolific writer and tracking down his earlier work has been fun.
By Chuggers
You guys see this Fabio Frizzi autobiography available to order through Cadabra?

https://chiropterapress.com/

ON SALE NOW: BACKSTAGE AND BEYOND: AND AUTOBIOGRAPHY BY FABIO FRIZZI. Purchase HERE. Available in Europe through Psilowave.com.

This project has been in the making for a while and we're excited to roll it out at long last. We've taken great measures to keep Frizzi's voice intact through this translation. If you've ever meet Frizzi, you'll see his warm personality shine through this autobiography. We should also note that this edition has been expanded from the original Italian language edition. 

There are three editions:
- Deluxe signed hardcover of 300x copies at $80 - Just over 200x are available.
- Signed softcover edition of 150x copies at $45
- Standard softcover at $36

Backstage and Beyond: An Autobiography by Fabio Frizzi 

Edited by Stephen Thrower 
Translation by Esteban Medaglia

Celebrated film composer Fabio Frizzi is best known for his work with director Lucio Fulci, including the terrifying horror classics Zombie, City of the Living Dead and The Beyond, but in a career spanning fifty years he has written memorable music for close to a hundred film and TV projects, ranging from risqué sex comedies to brutal war films, from sensitive family dramas to no-holds-barred shockers. 

In Backstage and Beyond, Frizzi takes the reader on a richly detailed journey through his lifelong passion for music. Along the way, we encounter the giants who have inspired or influenced his career, including guitar virtuoso Andrés Segovia, fellow composers Armando Trovajoli and Carlo Rustichelli, and progressive rock group Goblin. We hear about Frizzi’s teenage rock’n’roll bands, his internship with the legendary Ennio Morricone, and learn the secrets of his early success with the group Bixio-Frizzi-Tempera (much admired by Quentin Tarantino). And we meet Lucio Fulci – a complex, tormented genius with whom Frizzi enjoyed a long-standing professional and personal friendship.

In recent years, Fabio Frizzi has taken his music on the road, for a series of sell-out tours around the world. Lauded by fans and critics alike, these shows are a testament to the enduring appeal of his musical vision. Backstage and Beyond describes in fascinating detail how these unforgettable events were created.

This is an essential book for anyone who loves Italian cinema. It explains in clear terms how the magic of film music is created, and offers valuable insight into Frizzi’s compositional process. Most of all, it’s an engaging and convivial self-portrait by one of Italy’s most beloved movie composers.

Deluxe Hardcover edition of 300x copies

* 6" x 9"

* 324 pages

* Full color photo gallery

* Signed bookplate by the author

* Smyth-sewn binding

* Head and tail bands with ribbon marker

* Casebound with dust jacket

* Offset printed

* Printed in France
By inksb
I will definitely be grabbing a copy of that. I've been told by a few folks who have read it in Italian that it's a very good book.
By deafmetal
@Chuggers - yes, I ordered a copy today. I have been seeing quite a few people quoting from the Italian edition, and I was hoping somebody would release a translation. This is great to see being produced so quickly.
By Chuggers
deafmetal wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:31 am @Chuggers - yes, I ordered a copy today. I have been seeing quite a few people quoting from the Italian edition, and I was hoping somebody would release a translation. This is great to see being produced so quickly.
Nice! Hope they last a little longer, hoping to get to payday!

@inksb that's excellent to hear, i was pleasantly surprised when I saw the price!