Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By NathanLurker
So, for my little Brother's Christmas gift, I decided to offer him some retro games, since he recently acquired a used SNES. I bought two cassettes that came with no box, no booklet. I decided to create a custom box for them and I though, I might as well do some kind of custom artwork that links to my passions as well, a mash-up of the games with classic horror posters. I think they turned out pretty good so I wanted to show them to you guys who might appreciate to see that.

I've decided to design them on the vertical side, becauseI want to work on movie poster designs that are usually vertical.

For Final Fantasy 3 / 6, I remembered that monster Ultros, that comes back a few times during the game, and I thought he was perfect to put in the TENTACLES poster :

I did the drawing by myself, took maybe....15 to 20 hours ? The longest part was to color it, because I did it all from a mackbook air, with it's trackpad instead of a mouse. and I think it's one of the first time I worked colors entirely through digital painting.

For Zombies Ate My Neighbor, I couldn't do otherwise than remaking the Dawn of the Dead poster. I decided to do a photoshop montage. faster to do. I placed in my brother in, as a blood splattered zombie killer. My bro's name is Adam, and my friends know me as a guy who do a lot of puns. So, there you got. Adawn of the Dead.

I changed the blurbs too. "When there's no more room in hell. the Zombies will eat the neighbors"

I also designed the back with mostly the original games' back cover texts, and some funky credits. and for "Zombies..." on the back cover I placed 2 shots from the Dawn of the Dead movie at the mall, and 2 screenshots from the zombies... game, at the mall stage :)

Image Image

Anyway I hope you guys like the concept. I enjoyed doing a bit of artwork, it's been so long since last time I drew anything. I feel like I want to do more ! Maybe for his next birthday I'll get him another game and repeat the process. I will for sure at the very least, do some custom mixtapes. So fun.
By Bezulsqy
Damn @Nathan. That is a hell of a beautiful job. The amount of work that went into those packages... absolutely stunning.
Thanks for sharing!
By deafmetal
Nathan, really nice art and design work on these. I think they look great and make quite the excellent gift.
By inksb
Those are excellent @nathan

I love the FF6 in particular. You put a lot of effort into those. I'm sure your brother will appreciate them.

I bought my brother an SNES, Mega Man X and DKC2 for Xmas. But I'm not as good of a brother because I didn't design awesome cases for them :P

You should get him these or tell him to buy them so your artwork lives on - https://www.amazon.com/SNES-Nintendo-Ga ... 7N9AE1ZXD1
By NathanLurker
Thanks guys, I,m glad you liked to see it ^_^

@inksb : I thought about getting some sort of case like that, but this one won't fit, I printed the boxes so that they're approximately the same size as the cartridges, they are not the same size as the original SNES boxes. but if my little borther wants the original size, I can definitely print a larger size box that fits those dimensions.
By NathanLurker
J.R. wrote:Very nice! Are you a graphic designer or is this a hobby?
Thanks J.R., I studied 2 years in a pre-university program in Arts, but I don't work in arts, I'm not a designer, it's really more of a hobby. I did a few custom art for mixtapes, but usually I work with existing art and just do montage and design, It's a bit more rare that I draw.

Here's a montage I made, december 2017, for a custom cassette mixtape of retrowave, witch-house hybrid thing, made to look like a Near future, Dystopian Cyberpunk TV series soundtrack :
I've never actually printed it. I think I'm gonna go ahead and print it. I already copied the digital mixtape onto a cassette tape.
By J.R.
Cool Cover, I had a quick listen to the first few minutes but its6am here and I might need to wait until later to play it properly: I liked what I heard so far.
By Mateo Sanboval
NathanLurker wrote:BTW, here's the actual mixtape if any of you wants to listen :

SIDE A
SIDE B
This is a fun listen. Gracias!
By ScoJo
NathanLurker wrote:
J.R. wrote:Very nice! Are you a graphic designer or is this a hobby?
Thanks J.R., I studied 2 years in a pre-university program in Arts, but I don't work in arts, I'm not a designer, it's really more of a hobby. I did a few custom art for mixtapes, but usually I work with existing art and just do montage and design, It's a bit more rare that I draw.

Here's a montage I made, december 2017, for a custom cassette mixtape of retrowave, witch-house hybrid thing, made to look like a Near future, Dystopian Cyberpunk TV series soundtrack :
I've never actually printed it. I think I'm gonna go ahead and print it. I already copied the digital mixtape onto a cassette tape.
DO EET!