Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Jimmy_Mike
@deaf - I'll be in Portland later in the month. First trip for me. Any recommendations for areas/places to stay and, of course, what are the essential shops where I can find splattered, beard hair infused, scratch and sniff vinyls? Don't have a ton of time, only in town for 2 days.

The only place I know of is Mississippi.
By abedunk
Hey, Jimmy!

PDX is a vinyl-loving town - don't miss Exiled and Jackpot in the Hawthorne neighborhood, and my fave: 2nd Ave Records downtown. Music Millennium has gems, too, and is run by the president of the Oregon Music Hall of Fame. Maybe Everyday Music?

Have fun, drink lots of coffee, eat lots of delicious food, smoke that kind herb!

.......abedunk
By Mateo Sanboval
abedunk wrote:Hey, Jimmy!

PDX is a vinyl-loving town - don't miss Exiled and Jackpot in the Hawthorne neighborhood, and my fave: 2nd Ave Records downtown. Music Millennium has gems, too, and is run by the president of the Oregon Music Hall of Fame. Maybe Everyday Music?

Have fun, drink lots of coffee, eat lots of delicious food, smoke that kind herb!

.......abedunk
Abe nailed it, James Michael. I'll add that you should enjoy some PNW beer and second Mississippi, Everyday, and 2nd Ave. I'm sure Deaf knows of some more.
By deafmetal
@JM - What brings you to town? Will you have a ride or be using public transit?

Mississippi Records is a must for the experience (and fyi, still cash-only the last time I visited), but it's a small shop compared to some of the larger stores. That said, I would put it at the top for the curation alone. Take a gander at these blogs:

https://blog.discogs.com/en/the-best-re ... -portland/
https://www.wweek.com/portland/article- ... tores.html

I also recommend 2nd Ave Records downtown which seems to get missed on most lists. If you are interested in nightlife there are hundreds of unique bars and... *cough* clubs, including a Lovecraft-themed bar. If you have time for a film, check the listings at the Hollywood and Laurelhurst Theatres.
Last edited by deafmetal on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jimmy_Mike
Thanks, gents. I work with Native Americans and will be heading out east (Umatilla) for one day.

Curation is my jam. I get paralyzed and start mumbling to myself when I walk into massive joints like Amoeba. I'm also interested in places that carry weird shit I can't find here in KC, i.e. Mount Analog. Sadly our shops are pretty homogeneous.

@deaf - I won't have a car, but can get one if a must. I was planning on using the gig economy. :(

@abe - my man!
By deafmetal
@JM - there are plenty of gig rides and public transit during the majority of the day. Maybe find an interesting air b&b or room near your area of interest?