Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By jgibbs4053
So this hurricane is supposed to make landfall here in NC where I live. Has anyone ever had to deal w insurance companies with records?
By skeletonbutt
i thought about that once and then made sure everything was cataloged in my discogs collection in case anything happened. that way there's a list of each record and its value. but i've never had to deal with insurance having to replace them, and hopefully won't.
By Mateo Sanboval
Gibbsy, luckily I've never dealt with anything like that, but I wanted to say good luck and I hope you, yours, and your vynils stay dry as bones. Chin chin!
By Hatter313
Good luck dude! Stay dry and safe.
By texasvinyl
Make sure your homeowner or renters policy has a high enough contents limit. Get a replacement cost contents endorsement. Catalog the collection including date of acquisition, insurance value and any identifying info like catalog # or pressing version. Email it to yourself so you have a digital copy. Take some pictures and video of the collection to document it, and save them to the cloud.

Insurance the big thing is that you have to prove your loss. So you need the documentation to do that. If you have an original Belladonna and list "Belladonna LP" then they are gonna give you $20 for the finders keepers. If you list it as "Masahiko Sata - Belladonna OST, LP, NM condition, Cinevox MDF 33/90 Italy 1975 pressing, value $2,000" and have a picture of the original in your collection then you're in much better position to prove your full loss.

And don't buy a bad policy from a discount insurer that's gonna fight you on everything if you file a claim. Get a good agent and make sure your shit is taken care of.

Hope Florence doesn't wreck shop on everything.
By deafmetal
+1 to everything Texas said. From my experience, the agent will ask you the total dollar amount you are looking to have covered in your home/rental policy, and it will up to you to document it well enough to prove your loss against the dreaded claims adjuster. Hopefully, that never happens to any of us.

Lastly, stay safe @jgibbs, and I hope you and your family are able to weather the storm.
By Bub
The only good thing about hurricanes is that they give you ample time to prepare. Wishing you & your family a safe weekend!
By ScoJo
Just reading about the evacuations, it does sound like they're expecting the worst despite downgrading Florence slightly. Sounds bloody terrifying to this lucky landlocked pilgrim :(
By reddye6
I am glad I ran across this thread. Had to evacuate my town tonight. Over-pressurized gas lines caused 60 to 100 house fires in the area (Merrimack Valley, north of Boston). Even had two vinyl packages waiting inside to open. But so far my house didn’t explode, and we turned off the gas before we left. So in that sense we are lucky so far. For the folks in the hurricane path, stay safe!
By Mateo Sanboval
reddye6 wrote:I am glad I ran across this thread. Had to evacuate my town tonight. Over-pressurized gas lines caused 60 to 100 house fires in the area (Merrimack Valley, north of Boston). Even had two vinyl packages waiting inside to open. But so far my house didn’t explode, and we turned off the gas before we left. So in that sense we are lucky so far. For the folks in the hurricane path, stay safe!
That's near my old stomping grounds. You stay safe yourself, Reddye.
By Bezulsqy
I read about this @redeye6. That looked insane. Hopefully they have everything under control now.

How are things in NC at the moment?
By jgibbs4053
My family and I left Wilmington 2 days ago, but from what I hear so far not nearly as bad as first projected. My supervisor lives in Morehead City (2hrs north) and he’s been without power for about 1-2 days, trees fallen everywhere, and one of his rooms destroyed at his house. We still have 1-2 more days but extremely lucky it’s no longer a cat4
By Bezulsqy
Damn, I can hardly imagine how it must feel to have to leave your home because of something like this.
Good luck to you and yours!
By deafmetal
There have already been two deaths in @jgibbs home town: "A mother and infant died when a tree fell on a house in Wilmington, police said." These are the worst things to hear about.

More on the insurance side, analysts are estimating $10-20 billion dollars of total damage from the storm. :\
By Mateo Sanboval
Glad to hear you and yours are safe and sound, Gibbsy!!
By jgibbs4053
I only had wind damage and been without power for a week, was told power should be back on in 2-3 more days. I know 2 friends houses were completely flooded, so im really lucky. Several areas have no roads to get to due to them being washed out. So should be hectic here for a while. Crazy to think what a Cat4 would have done.
By Mateo Sanboval
jgibbs4053 wrote:I only had wind damage and been without power for a week, was told power should be back on in 2-3 more days. I know 2 friends houses were completely flooded, so im really lucky. Several areas have no roads to get to due to them being washed out. So should be hectic here for a while. Crazy to think what a Cat4 would have done.
Damn, man. No kidding. Glad you came through it relatively unscathed.
By Hatter313
Glad to hear you made it reflectively unscathed, all things considered. I remember the week and change we were out of power after sandy hit NY, I was literally stuck inside my house alone waiting for the relief crews to clear out the massive trees that were blocking me and my neighbors into our block, trees were right at the top of my driveway and impenetrable. I had to hike around the block just to get out. That was cleared in about 4 days but the power stayed out for about 8 or 9 and it was not fun. I’ll tell you, when the lights came back on it was a real elating moment. Good luck!