Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By maxlevel
Politics alert!

Whenever brexit comes up in discussion I get a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach. I go and find some French music, or something I love about europe and listen/watch/read it. The whole thing is so depressingly badly run, it’s like a load of monkeys have the nuclear power station levers and just keep telling us black is white. I’m not even that fussed about leaving the EU, as long as someone with a brain is in charge which it’s patently obvious isn’t the case.

Our leaders are so bad. You’ve got a massive idiot in the US telling us the teachers TEACHERS need automatic weapons NEED. And here we have people trying to renegotiate the Good Friday transition agreement with number plate recognition technology. I honestly feel proper political violence isn’t far away, it’s so stupid to listen to day after day.

Anyway I thought I’d put this in here. I have Jean Rollins B Music on and the trains don’t work because of a gentle cold wind.

What do we do? I’m at a loss.
By texasvinyl
Holy Brexit, Batman!

I just ordered a jazz record from the UK. £28, and it only cost me $36. Not so long ago that would have cost me more like $47.

Decent time to buy some UK imports for sure!
By inksb
But @tex you forgot the $15-$20 shipping! I always chuckle when I see someone charging $20+ for shipping from the UK to the US when Spun and Burning Witches ship for under $15. Thanks to Brexit I have been able to afford a lot of blurays that I would have never bought in the past. With Amazons Global shipping charges I've been able to grab a lot of good stuff. It's crazy to me as the last time I was in the UK, which was almost a decade ago now the GBP was worth a little over double the USD, that hurt when you didn't budget for it while traveling.
By maxlevel
Our new foreign secretary was briefed this year that Dover is our main port, and told everyone his learnings in a speech. He was then fired and later appointed head of the diplomatic service.

This country is on fire and not in a good way
By texasvinyl
Sorry guys. I don't know what happened really other than I guess young people don't vote in Britain. Because I saw a graphic suggesting 18-24 unanimously support labour and lib Dems while 65+ unanimously supports Tory and brexit party.

I don't know how labour could get so utterly stomped after all of Boris brexit promises were shown to be bald faced lies. And in the face of very damning suggestions that Boris enjoys the financial and intelligence backing of the KGB.

I am so sorry. and damn the terrible conservative propaganda machine which has undoubtedly metastasized in your fine country. I see their ugly demeanor has spread. The same ugliness, mean spiritedness, the name calling, the demonization of any dissenting voice as unpatriotic, the morphing of political opposition into perceived domestic enemies. Spittle flicking and foam bubbling as they retch about asylum seekers and snowflakes.

I'm honestly shocked at the extent of the landslide. What on Earth happened.
By ScoJo
texasvinyl wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:46 pm Sorry guys. I don't know what happened really other than I guess young people don't vote in Britain. Because I saw a graphic suggesting 18-24 unanimously support labour and lib Dems while 65+ unanimously supports Tory and brexit party.

I don't know how labour could get so utterly stomped after all of Boris brexit promises were shown to be bald faced lies. And in the face of very damning suggestions that Boris enjoys the financial and intelligence backing of the KGB.

I am so sorry. and damn the terrible conservative propaganda machine which has undoubtedly metastasized in your fine country. I see their ugly demeanor has spread. The same ugliness, mean spiritedness, the name calling, the demonization of any dissenting voice as unpatriotic, the morphing of political opposition into perceived domestic enemies. Spittle flicking and foam bubbling as they retch about asylum seekers and snowflakes.

I'm honestly shocked at the extent of the landslide. What on Earth happened.
It's a long ass sorry tale Tex, but in a nutshell? I know from personal interaction that there were many many people who voted Tory despite not necessarily backing them. Yes, politics is now that fucked up.

This election was the real second referendum, and the anger which was fuelled by remainers clawing every angle for a different outcome to the first referendum has not dissipated over time (as I hoped it might, leading to a more nuanced discussion.)

So in a nutshell - this result was a giant 'fuck you' from Leavers on all sides.
By ScoJo
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:50 pm Scojo, it was 51-49 last time around, right? The clawing remainers shifted it that much?
plus propoganda plus racism plus corbyn

I honestly believe that the working class, even when confronted with demonstrable ill intent towards them, are devolving into an old paradigm - that essentially, although 'our betters' (ie these self-serving toffs and hedge fund managers) give zero fucks about the average person, let alone the vulnerable, they are resurrecting this little britain, feudal, monarchistic, nationalist mentality of 'they are better than us, they most know what's best, lets leave them to it'.

And despite my loathing of the propoganda war/social media's huge role in this shit, and admire Corbyn's not getting his hands dirty, I honestly believe this may not have happened if he had stepped down six months/to a year ago. Hate to say it, hate the reality of it... but that's where we're at.
By maxlevel
We are still digesting it here. It’s a total headfuck, but London is solid Labour so everyone we know or spoke to in the last 3 years has been one London sized echo chamber. Which isn’t really an echo chamber I guess. Brexit will never solve anything, it won’t solve post industrial crumbling in former powerhouse towns and it won’t solve immigration issues but it has given a real heroin injection to people who make me very uncomfortable.

Nothing sticks to them. They can say the most horrific things and there’s no electoral penalty. It’s terrifying