Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By chiefbrody
Hey friends

It's my birthday next Friday... but we don't need to talk about that.

My wife is looking for suggestions and I'd love a new record, given my recent poverty in that area.

I'd like to give her 3 suggestions, ideally only available on vinyl, or including download so I don't need to double dip. Also under £30 and capable of being delivered before next Friday. 'Recent' purchases include:

Escape from LA
Jaws
Alien
Wind River
The Thing
John Carpenter Anthology
Twin Peaks (all of them)
Stranger Things 2

Your suggestions are very welcome.
Happy birthday Chief.

Sorry, mis-read that earlier - like ScoJo below my most recent order is that Finders Keepers Jean Rollin comp (along with their recent-ish Suzanne Ciani Globolinks LP). :)

Also, a wife willing to feed your vinyl habit rather than admonish it? Sounds like a keeper!
Last edited by Spun out of control on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ScoJo
chiefbrody wrote:Hey friends

It's my birthday next Friday... but we don't need to talk about that.

My wife is looking for suggestions and I'd love a new record, given my recent poverty in that area.

I'd like to give her 3 suggestions, ideally only available on vinyl, or including download so I don't need to double dip. Also under £30 and capable of being delivered before next Friday. 'Recent' purchases include:

Escape from LA
Jaws
Alien
Wind River
The Thing
John Carpenter Anthology
Twin Peaks (all of them)
Stranger Things 2

Your suggestions arte very welcome.
Hey Chief!

Ahh, your upcoming holy of holies...great stuff, and nice idea to prod us for ideas.

My first rec is THE B-MUSIC OF JEAN ROLLIN on Finders Keepers, stunning collection of weird jazz n psyche n beyond which is a good price.

Second - I didn't think that this reissue was an essential purchase for me, having the OG...but treated myself at xmas and the Waxwork EXORCIST release is flipping incredible.
By NathanLurker
I think both Black Mirror releases from Invada would be good presents. San Junipero from Clint Mansell or Men Against Fire from Salisbury & Barrow. I don't see anything too jazzy in your list of recent purchases so I don't know if you're into that, but I'd recommend Himmel Og Helvete from Egil Monn Iversen. That's one great jazzy Norwegian soundtrack. Also, something from Finders Keepers could be good. Like, their soundtrack to Belladonna, or the Moomins. I have to check out the Jean Rollin compilation but I think Scojo's recommendation is probably a good one.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Hey Chief, Looking at what you purchased recently and if you would like to receive a "classic" for your special day maybe "Hellraiser" (DW black vinyl or the Lakeshore release should be available and within budget) or the recent re-release of "Rosemary's Baby" by WW . Or "Christine" from Varese which has been quite hard to find before.
Have not heard the Jean Rollin comp yet but can second "Himmel Og Helvete" if you would like something jazzy.
By chiefbrody
Thanks for the suggestions. My initial list from my own thoughts was: San Junipero, Men Against Fire, Free Fire (Invada on point recently), Blade Runner 2049, the Vault of Horror -
the Italian Connection comp, The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave and A Ghost Story.

I think I'll keep San Junipero on the list, and add the Jean Rollin comp and Belladonna (Finders Keepers ever-reliable) and Himmel Og Helvete (I'm intrigued by this rec - if I don't receive this I'll be buying it anyway).

Christine is a solid recommendation, which would probably be my no1 if I didn't already have it on CD. Moomins was a big discovery for me last year after a @ScoJo recommendation.

Feel free to still chip in with more, I'm not strict on it being only 3. I'll probably include the Vault comp too.

PS @spun my Mrs only the other day said she HATES that I listen to vinyl, but it turns out she hates thinking of presents after 18 years more!
By chiefbrody
Well Mrs "Brody" delivered. Thanks for the suggestions. With a bit of birthday money I'll pick up one or two others. Apologies for the double-post, I'll put these in new arrivals too.
Attachments
20180119_170333_resized.jpg
20180119_170333_resized.jpg (342.32 KiB) Viewed 5592 times
By chiefbrody
Gents!

Been listening to Belladonna. Wonderful stuff.

I was sure it was meant to come with a download, but nothing with the record. It seems like it you buy it from FK, bleep or boomkat you get a download - where did Mrs Brody buy it? JUNO. No dice.

Anyone able to help a brother out? PM me.
By chiefbrody
How much ego do I have, rekindling a year-old thread just for suggestions for me?!?

It's almost that time of year again, and the less we say about my soon-to-be age, the better (it contains a zero and a number between 3 and 5).

Do my chums here have any suggestions for some purchases for me?

Only recent purchases are Big Trouble, You Were Never Really Here and Annihilation. Plus Mandy was on my wishlist, so I expect to get that on the day from Mrs Brody.

Under current consideration:
Tentacoli (Cipriani)
Your Vice... (Nicolai)
All the Colors... (Nicolai)

Thoughts on those, or any others?
By Bezulsqy
chiefbrody wrote:How much ego do I have, rekindling a year-old thread just for suggestions for me?!?

It's almost that time of year again, and the less we say about my soon-to-be age, the better (it contains a zero and a number between 3 and 5).

Only recent purchases are Big Trouble, You Were Never Really Here and Annihilation. Plus Mandy was on my wishlist, so I expect to get that on the day from Mrs Brody.

Tentacoli (Cipriani)
Your Vice... (Nicolai)

Congrats with being almost 104!

I'd go with Tentacoli. Or All the Colors...
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote:
chiefbrody wrote:How much ego do I have, rekindling a year-old thread just for suggestions for me?!?

Tentacoli (Cipriani)
Your Vice... (Nicolai)

Congrats with being almost 104!

I'd go with Tentacoli. Or All the Colors...
Great, and neither expensive nor especially limited:

THE CONVERSATION
THE PROPOSITION

Many happiest upcoming returns to you old bean!!
By NathanLurker
Regarding Tentacles. the 2LP dagored release from 2016 has a lot of alternate takes. the first LP is the original soundtrack and the second LP is all made of alternate takes. The cover art is super blurry. it is not a good cover art printing. but if that doesn't matter to you (after all, the music is what's important) it's inexpensive, and it's good, although it gets a bit repetitive if you spin the 2 LPs in a row.

''All the colors...'' for me is a more definite must have, it's the first Nicolai I've ever acquired, and it's a classic one. If you can get the limited finders keepers red vinyl version, the cover art is better IMO, I only have the regular edition with the original tree painting cover. Again, the tree cover is cheaper to buy, and it's an excellent release.

outside of the titles you are already considering, I'd say that VIRGIN WITCH released by Trunk records last summer is one of my favorite release of the year. I would suggest previewing that score HERE
By Mateo Sanboval
I heartily endorse all of these scores. Might I add, on the 70s jazz side, FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE. Happy birthday, Chief!

By chiefbrody
Gents, you give me plenty of food for thought, and I appreciate @bez's positive spin on my age!

@ScoJo, I had thought of both of those. I have The Proposition on CD, so will probably opt for The Conversation of those 2. Can't go wrong with Trunk.

@Nathan, I think Colors seems like a must have, I've been thinking for it for a while. I haven't found the FK cover for a reasonable price. I can live with the Tentacles cover not being high quality, but those alt versions will need to be special for that second LP to be listened to much!

I'll look into Virgin Witch (Trunk again) and Eddie Coyle, I've not heard either.

You guys got me covered! You didn't fail me last year (I ended up with Belladonna, Italian Vault comp and Himmel Og Helvete). Thanks.
Don't think you can get much better than the 3 titles you originally suggested @Chief... I'd go for those if you haven't got them already... pretty much' top of their game' stuff from their respective composers:

Tentacoli (Cipriani)
Your Vice... (Nicolai)

Agreed that Virgin Witch is also a nice spin, but arguably less essential if you don't already own the above.

As we all know though, there's tons of absolute blinders getting released.. :)
By chiefbrody
@dollar, I'm with you. I already picked up the two DWRC Nicolai's - both stormers.

@spun, thanks, good to know I was on solid ground.

@ScoJo, I'm surprised Daughters of Darkness wasn't on your list, but needless to say I'm aware, and will be adding that (maybe the CD reissue with 2 extra tracks vs vinyl...).
By Mateo Sanboval
chiefbrody wrote:@ScoJo, I'm surprised Daughters of Darkness wasn't on your list, but needless to say I'm aware, and will be adding that (maybe the CD reissue with 2 extra tracks vs vinyl...).
Scott's not legally allowed to talk about that anymore. The de Roubaix estate was getting a little concerned that he was mentioning it so much, he might try to come after them for royalties so they just nipped it in the bud.