Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
So...it's almost that time again...my personal Xmas. Thought I'd start a thread for sharing our plans for the Season of the Witch, interested to know what you guys get up to, personal traditions, movies, favourite haunts etc.

To kick off....major part of my costume arrived today from Trick or Treat Studios in the USA, I'll be hitting the NYC Hallowe'en parade this year - my bones are leapin' out of my skin with anticipation!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (995.08 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (782.83 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
....the clock is ticking....it's almost time...
By lazyben
Nice! And nice mousepad :)

I mainly follow my 6 year old around the neighbourhood and tax her candy haul until I collapse into a coma. My wife is making capes for this year as some sort of vampire theme has been selected by said 6 year old.
By Mateo Sanboval
Mrs Sanboval and I and a couple of like minded compatriots are carving pumpkins and then heading to a screening of the newly restored Suspiria this Friday. The following week I am putting on a the third annual Roll the Bones Halloween Triple Header movie night wherein one each of the Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm St films are selected at random by, you guessed it, the rolling of dice. On Halloween night itself, I will host a costume contest and proffer lycanthropic libations and vampiric victuals in a professional capacity. In between, and in my downtime, I will drink pumpkin and fresh hopped ales and watch spooky anthologies old and new to my heart's content.
By ScoJo
lazyben wrote:Nice! And nice mousepad :)

I mainly follow my 6 year old around the neighbourhood and tax her candy haul until I collapse into a coma. My wife is making capes for this year as some sort of vampire theme has been selected by said 6 year old.
Here's to the Hallowe'en dads...fostering lasting pagan values and a spirit of ghoulish community in their little devils....

Oh and it's actually a slipmat which I pressed into service when I borked my wireless mouse/had to dig out a funky old optical backup ;)
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Mrs Sanboval and I and a couple of like minded compatriots are carving pumpkins and then heading to a screening of the newly restored Suspiria this Friday. The following week I am putting on a the third annual Roll the Bones Halloween Triple Header movie night wherein one each of the Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm St films are selected at random by, you guessed it, the rolling of dice. On Halloween night itself, I will host a costume contest and proffer lycanthropic libations and vampiric victuals in a professional capacity. In between, and in my downtime, I will drink pumpkin and fresh hopped ales and watch spooky anthologies old and new to my heart's content.
∆∆∆ THIS!
By chiefbrody
Loving the mask, @ScoJo.

On the great day itself I'll be delighting in the going 'uns dressing up as Princess Poppy and Branch from Trolls (my request to dress them as the Guilty Remnant from The Leftovers fell on deaf ears!). I'll also be trying to squeeze in a couple of classic scores/comps along the way.

Once they're tucked up in bed, Mrs 'Brody' has agreed to watch a horror film (a rarity), and I'm 100% introducing her to Halloween III. I picked up The Burning today, so I might make it a double bill, either that, House by the Cemetery or Deep Red. I have a host of Arrow blu rays waiting to get watched.
By Hatter313
I’ve been going through my roster of seasonal viewings and readings, will be cracking the spine on my well worn copy of something wicked this way comes in the near future. the weekend before will be a marathon of the Halloween series itself, then Sunday night is the beyond show with frizzi. Halloween itself I’ll be taking in a screening of the remastered night of the living dead at my local Alamo. I was lucky enough to see the premiere of this at MOMA with Romero hosting and folks, lemme tell you, the remastering job on this thing is out of this world.
By Little Walter
That Season of the Witch mask is frustratingly legitimate, @scojo. I be jealous.

Actually going to see LCD Soundsystem on Halloween night, but that's not keeping us from roaming 6th street after to jump into the Austin parade.
By Bezulsqy
@ScoJo That mask is pretty cool.
Halloween is not that big of deal in my neck of the woods. We have Carnaval in February/March were most people dress up and get extremely drunk.

This 31st I am going to a screening of The Shining at my local cinema.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote:This 31st I am going to a screening of The Shining at my local cinema.
Legit.
By ScoJo
fyi you kids....Trick or Treat studios have the license to do official H3 masks based on the Don Post originals. They're pretty damn good (and not $300+ ... altho id LOVE an OG!)

Really enjoying reading of your plans all, even Bez who clearly lives in a godless land which doesnt recognise the season ;-)
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:fyi you kids....Trick or Treat studios have the license to do official H3 masks based on the Don Post originals. They're pretty damn good (and not $300+ ... altho id LOVE an OG!)

Really enjoying reading of your plans all, even Bez who clearly lives in a godless land which doesnt recognise the season ;-)
Seriously, Bez. What do your people have against the color orange?
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
ScoJo wrote:fyi you kids....Trick or Treat studios have the license to do official H3 masks based on the Don Post originals. They're pretty damn good (and not $300+ ... altho id LOVE an OG!)

I need to get back to you on that one. I know it started with Willen of Orange (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_the_Silent) who fucked the Spanish so the low countries became to be.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:

I need to get back to you on that one. I know it started with Willen of Orange (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_the_Silent) who fucked the Spanish so the low countries became to be.
How dare you attempt to thwart my forced narrative by imbueing this thread with your weasely facts, sir? Outrageous!
By ScoJo
@mateo -

Hey mang - since you're here, and being as we're on this thread n all.....perhaps you would honour me with a request?

I need to hunker down for the eve with a horror picture. Can you recommend something a little obscure/underrated that you're a fan of? Bear in mind that, unless I've seen it like 50 times already I am 100% going to watch it right away!

Thanking you in advance.......

By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote:@mateo -

Hey mang - since you're here, and being as we're on this thread n all.....perhaps you would honour me with a request?

I need to hunker down for the eve with a horror picture. Can you recommend something a little obscure/underrated that you're a fan of? Bear in mind that, unless I've seen it like 50 times already I am 100% going to watch it right away!

Thanking you in advance.......

Yes, I know I am not Mateo, but I suggest you watch Terror Train. You mentioned recently you have not yet seen it. It is pretty good.
By ScoJo
@Bez -

Thanks Ben! I actually watched it a week or so back, loved it!

By all means hit me up with another recommend sir, alstublieft! Something recent and gnarly that I may have missed, or a weird personal fave that no one else loves...... ;-)
By Bezulsqy
Or some random titles out of my Horror Films of the 80s book:
Nightflyers (1987)
The Unnamable (1988)
Brainstorm (1983)
I have not seen any of them. But the last one has Christopher Walken and I think I need to watch that now...
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote:Or some random titles out of my Horror Films of the 80s book:
Nightflyers (1987)
The Unnamable (1988)
Brainstorm (1983)
I have not seen any of them. But the last one has Christopher Walken and I think I need to watch that now...
Thanks man! love Night Flier and Brainstorm, have managed to miss Unnameable (despite it being Lovecraft based) so may just give it a whirl - although i recall the word on it being pretty bad!! ;)

As a backup, I'm currently considering rewatch of One Dark Night, Masoleum or Autopsy of Jane Doe (there is a sortof theme there) or possibly Honeymoon which I recall liking a lot.
By ScoJo
Re: Nightfliers...aha, I confused it with the Stephen King-based Night Flier! Looks like this one is based on a George RR Martin story.....hmmmmm, sounds fun.
By ScoJo
Oh Motel Hell is a blast, check it out for sure!

Never come across The Children, and just reading about it I'm kinda curious....hmmmm....might look and see if its on YT (sure seems like the kind of cheapo crud that would be!)

Thanks bub!
By Mateo Sanboval
Great suggestions, Bez.

I've been on a bit of a Sci Fi Horror tear of late and fresh in my mind are Screamers, The Quiet Earth, Split Second, and Night of the Comet. None of those are terribly obscure to folks on here, I'm sure, but they are lesser seen and very enjoyable. My all-time favorite underrated horror flick is Wolfen. A newer entry would be Bone Tomahawk, but, if memory servers, you're already a convert. Hope that's mildly useful. Chin chin!
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Great suggestions, Bez.

I've been on a bit of a Sci Fi Horror tear of late and fresh in my mind are Screamers, The Quiet Earth, Split Second, and Night of the Comet. None of those are terribly obscure to folks on here, I'm sure, but they are lesser seen and very enjoyable. My all-time favorite underrated horror flick is Wolfen. A newer entry would be Bone Tomahawk, but, if memory servers, you're already a convert. Hope that's mildly useful. Chin chin!
Thanks el Guapo, cool bunch of flicks. I'm with you on all of these, esp. Wolfen. Amazing film. Really need to watch Screamers again, Recall that it semi-rocked!

Tonight's winner, however, is...........somewhat randomly........

AMERICAN GOTHIC (1988)

By John Hough, director of Legend of Hell House, and starring Rod Steiger! Had never heard of it til 5mins ago.

Cheers for the rec's though fellas, a couple going on the ole watch list for sure!