Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
maxlevel wrote:As I drove my mate to work for two months he bought me a bottle of Lagavulin single malt to say thanks! Jobs over now and I miss the morning chatter about comedy.

Very smokey
Great gift! I had my share of single malts :-)
And I second @Mateo: get yourself some Laphroaig!
By Mateo Sanboval
texasvinyl wrote:Image

Hops at 11,225 ft
Awesome. Are you in CO?
By Mateo Sanboval
texasvinyl wrote:Yes it is a helluva lot nicer in Aspen than in tx!
Hell yeah, Baby. Enjoy the heck out of it.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote:^A+ indeed
A Duvel is never wrong.
Ever. Probably in my top three. We are getting tall cans of Duvel Single (formerly Duvel Green) over here at the moment. Are you seeing Duvel cans right now, Bez (or anybody outside the US)? Same with Delirium Tremens.
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Bezulsqy wrote:^A+ indeed
A Duvel is never wrong.
Ever. Probably in my top three. We are getting tall cans of Duvel Single (formerly Duvel Green) over here at the moment. Are you seeing Duvel cans right now, Bez (or anybody outside the US)? Same with Delirium Tremens.
I am not seeing Duvel cans...
I do love that Duvel Green though.
I learned about that one about 15 years ago when it was not for sale in the Netherlands. But my beerman had an import permit and always brought beer from Belgium back to the pub. Duvel actually told him they did not want him to sell it in his pub, but they couldn't stop him. A couple of years later you were able to get that beer in a lot of places.
We always referred to the Duvel Green as the low-on-alcohol Duvel. For when you want a light beer :-) If I am correct it is 7,5 % to normal Duvel's 8,5 %.

Speaking about cans. I always preferred beer from draft or from bottles. Cans were for convenience and lager. But now I am seeing a lot of cans and especially for IPA. The reasoning being that a can protects beer a lot better against UV-light. And UV apparently kills the IPA hops. I cannot argue against that.
But would you then drink from the can or pour in a glass? I do not like the taste of 'can' for the first coupe of sips.

What is your top 5 if I may ask? Dupont Saison and Duvel ar in it. What else?
By Mateo Sanboval
Yeah, Duvel Green first came to the US on draft in 2010 and was only available in three cities. I happened to be in San Francisco that Summer and indulged heavily. I loved the Green moniker but by 2012 or so it was called Duvel Single here (as a not to single fermentation)like andailable everywhere. I have a local that keeps it on tap year round. In the US the Single is even lighter, coming in around 6.7 if memory serves. Have you ever tried the annual Duvel Triple Hop? I always enjoy that one as well.

Other beer in my top 5 Belgies? You're correct about Dupont Saison (great memory by the bye). St Bernardus Abt 12 is in there. It gets tough after that. Rodenbach Grand Cru and Westmalle Tripel maybe? Although Duchesse, Kermeleit Tripel, La Chouffe, and Cuvée Van De Keizer Rood all have space in my heart (and belly) as well.

How about yourself?
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Yeah, Duvel Green first came to the US on draft in 2010 and was only available in three cities. I happened to be in San Francisco that Summer and indulged heavily. I loved the Green moniker but by 2012 or so it was called Duvel Single here (as a not to single fermentation)like andailable everywhere. I have a local that keeps it on tap year round. In the US the Single is even lighter, coming in around 6.7 if memory serves. Have you ever tried the annual Duvel Triple Hop? I always enjoy that one as well.

Other beer in my top 5 Belgies? You're correct about Dupont Saison (great memory by the bye). St Bernardus Abt 12 is in there. It gets tough after that. Rodenbach Grand Cru and Westmalle Tripel maybe? Although Duchesse, Kermeleit Tripel, La Chouffe, and Cuvée Van De Keizer Rood all have space in my heart (and belly) as well.

How about yourself?
Excellent choices!
I do not think I have ever had the Rodenbach for an unknown reason. Westmalle Tripel is absolutely top. Karmeliet Tripel as well. Nothing wrong with Duchesse and La Chouffe. Cuvée van de Keizer (check the picture I sent you a while back :-) )

I used to love Kempisch Vuur. It has one of the best glasses there are. I am not sure if the recipe changed a bit in the last ten years. In the back of my mind is a memory of a beer that wasn't as good as it once was. Oh no, that is the Flierefluiter. Was excellent but after some changes not excellent anymore. Kempisch Vuur still the bomb.
Soon I will have a Vicaris Tripel. A new (since 2010 if I am not mistaken) Belgian Tripel that should be very good. Will let you know in a couple of weeks.
I used to love Orval, Rochefort 10 and Chimay Blue. But haven't had dark trappist in ages (except that Westvleteren that was too old to be good).
La Trappe is also very good but not Belgian.
Gageleer is an interesting and tasty beer.

At the moment I am catching up beer-wise. I missed the whole craft brew thing. I have been trying a new beer a day during the last 2 months. Decided I would go the untappd route to keep track. Need to also have all the classics again. I have a big list of heavier and darker beers I want to get to but it is too sunny at the moment... Will have to wait for autumn/winter and some dark movies. Until then I am enjoying a lot of different styles.
By Jimmy_Mike
Careful with Untappd, it had me on the path to alcoholism. I'm sure its fine for some, but the gamification of drinking can be problematic for the collector types. GOTTA FILL IN THOSE GAPS!!!

I'm on a serious gose kick right now. Really all things sour.

Cheers
By Bezulsqy
Jimmy_Mike wrote:Careful with Untappd, it had me on the path to alcoholism. I'm sure its fine for some, but the gamification of drinking can be problematic for the collector types. GOTTA FILL IN THOSE GAPS!!!

I'm on a serious gose kick right now. Really all things sour.

Cheers
I agree. If I did not have my girlfriend (miss Only One Is Enough) I would be drinking heavily simply to get those fucking badges.

Had my first gose a few weeks ago. Did not even know it meant it was a sour beer :-)
I am used to Belgian sours like geuze and was not aware there are more sour beers... I loved it!
By Bezulsqy
I had these (not at the same time...)

Now I am having this although double is not really my taste this one is not too bad:

By Mateo Sanboval
I've only had six of those.
By Bezulsqy
Friday I went to visit my parents in Belgium with an ulterior motive of going the nearby liquor store... I bought 16 different Belgian beers. Mainly between 8%-10% beers.

One of my new favorite beers:
So full of taste. Think how different Duvel is to Karmeliet but both full bodied and full of flavor. This one is like those but also as different as they are to each other.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bez, I don't want to seem too forward, but I'll be at yours in twenty four hours.
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Bez, I don't want to seem too forward, but I'll be at yours in twenty four hours.
Ha! You are welcome :-)
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Image
A+
Hey.... my thing :(
Don't fret, there's no overlap here. This is a mathematically sound marking system.