Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
These just started showing up around me. I wasn't sure if I would be in the mood for a wheat pale ale but I wanted to try a beer I hadn't had before and damn this is fantastic.

By Mateo Sanboval
Three Floyds makes very good beer. I've not had Gumballhead, but I'm not surprised it's juice is worth the squeeze.
By inksb
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:20 am Three Floyds makes very good beer. I've not had Gumballhead, but I'm not surprised it's juice is worth the squeeze.
I'm a big fan of Zombie Dust and Alpha King so I figured this one would be at least a quality beer.
By Mateo Sanboval
This is a - ahem - fire IPA collaboration from Block 15 Brewing in Corvallis, OR and Ruse Brewing in PDX, OR called tough sledding. It's a hazy IPA, but not overly so, with tropical fruit notes and a light resinous finish. Expertly done as one would expect from these two excellent breweries.
By Mateo Sanboval
CrossedPete wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:06 am IPA’s are my jam @mateo the colour looks perfect. It looks really tasty. What’s the %?
I dont recall exactly, but in the 7.0 - 7.5% range for certain.
By CrossedPete
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:16 am
CrossedPete wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:06 am IPA’s are my jam @mateo the colour looks perfect. It looks really tasty. What’s the %?
Nice. I’ve had a many IPAs in that Danger zone. (7-8.5%). I feel it’s right in the sweet spot where the beer can taste so good it’s dangerous how much you can drink.
By Mateo Sanboval
CrossedPete wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:29 am
Nice. I’ve had a many IPAs in that Danger zone. (7-8.5%). I feel it’s right in the sweet spot where the beer can taste so good it’s dangerous how much you can drink.
I have some triple IPA's I'd like to send you.
By CrossedPete
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:58 am

And I would happily take them. Honestly I’m a pretty big fan of strong beers in general but when it comes to IPAs the hoppier the better
By Mateo Sanboval
CrossedPete wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:30 am

And I would happily take them. Honestly I’m a pretty big fan of strong beers in general but when it comes to IPAs the hoppier the better
Careful, now. Hops don't have anything to do with ABV as I'm sure you know. I could pour you a beer that tastes like a cat pissed on a pile of weed and pine needles that was only 3.2%. But what would be the point in that.
By CrossedPete
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:40 am
CrossedPete wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:30 am

Careful, now. Hops don't have anything to do with ABV as I'm sure you know. I could pour you a beer that tastes like a cat pissed on a pile of weed and pine needles that was only 3.2%. But what would be the point in that.
Yeah totally I was just saying I’m not afraid of the hops. I’ll be the first one to admit when it comes to the technical side of the beer my knowledge is limited. I usually go by taste and smell. I have a couple buddies that are way into beer so I’ve learned a little along the way. For example when you called it a “fire IPA” now the term fire are you using it like “Hey this beer is delicious. It’s on fire.” Or is there such thing as a Fire IPA? If so what exactly makes it Fire?
By CrossedPete
Also I have a question for you. I’ve been hording some cans of beer because it’s my favourite. I don’t have access to the beer on a regular basis so when I see it I stock up. How long can I realistically keep the beer before it starts to diminish? I’ve been doing this for years and when ever I get new stock I’ll have an old one and a new one just to see if they’re close. They always are but the newer ones are always better.
By Mateo Sanboval
I was just being a hammy bastard and punning the slang term 'fire' which you've defined above with the actual fire I was using to light my photo of said beer. In actuality it was a West Coast Hazy IPA which is more aromatic and juicy than a traditional Hazy IPA or New England/North East IPA which are thicker in body.

As to your ageing query, it depends on the style and, often, the manufacturer as well. What is your fovorite beer and how long do you store it for?
By CrossedPete
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 2242 times
Axeman IPA from Surly. I usually try not to go much further than a year after the canning date but I would like to go longer as I’m not sure when it comes in. Pre Covid I would make trips down to the states to pick up beer and records I get shipped to the border
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:27 am I was just being a hammy bastard and punning the slang term 'fire' which you've defined above with the actual fire I was using to light my photo of said beer. In actuality it was a West Coast Hazy IPA which is more aromatic and juicy than a traditional Hazy IPA or New England/North East IPA which are thicker in body.
sorry you had to dumb it down for me
CC7276C4-354F-4208-A5F2-D2E1271208AD.jpeg
CC7276C4-354F-4208-A5F2-D2E1271208AD.jpeg (17.86 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Perish the very thought, Pete! Not at all. I love talking beer. As to The Axeman from Surly or any beer that you, or any of us, enjoys, that's all that matters. That you enjoy it! Without checking, my guess is that Surly would claim a 180 day shelf life on their mass market IPA which is fairly standard. And Axeman is a pretty malty brew which means that it doesn't rely as heavily on hops to maintain the flavor as some other IPAs and Pale Ales might. That said, hops are like cars and they start to devalue the second they drive off the lot so fresher is almost always "better". If I told you the shelf life we impose on IPAs at my place, you'd probably laugh at me. None of that matters though. I truly believe you should enjoy what you enjoy otherwise...what's the point?
By inksb
I'll add to Mateo's comments on beer aging. Like he said hop flavors have diminishing returns as it ages. I learned this many years ago when I had a friend send me a case of one of my favorite beers (just so happens to be the one I posted not too long ago, Lunch). I tried to savor them but after about 3 months I started to notice a drastic change in the flavor profile which made me sad as I had around half a case left, I then drank them all very fast and saved one last one to check a few months later for science purposes, it did not taste great lol.

As for stouts and porters, lots of those can be aged and improve flavors as they get older. I don't ever age anything like that though, I'm too impatient.

I've been out of the beer making game for quite a few years so my knowledge on what goes into the process of a lot of new styles that are dominating the market is much more limited. I have noticed that Sours really lose their flavor after a few weeks which was quite disappointing to discover when I was saving a few beers for my brother to try.
By Bezulsqy
Interesting beer talk good people.
At the start of this year I had around 100 different beers in my storage. now I believe I have around 90. Most of those are Belgian sours or heavy beers. Those age mighty fine. I opened a bottle from 2001 past fall and that tasted amazing. Another bottle from 2010 also tasted brilliant.
The problem I have is that I also love IPAs and those I drink as soon as possible which means the shelf life of my beers in storage keeps on climbing. And my girlfriend doesn't like sour beers so opening a 75cl bottle to drink by myself is not something I do often.
I need to stop buying this stuff. It is getting out of hand.
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:07 pm Interesting beer talk good people.
At the start of this year I had around 100 different beers in my storage. now I believe I have around 90. Most of those are Belgian sours or heavy beers. Those age mighty fine. I opened a bottle from 2001 past fall and that tasted amazing. Another bottle from 2010 also tasted brilliant.
The problem I have is that I also love IPAs and those I drink as soon as possible which means the shelf life of my beers in storage keeps on climbing. And my girlfriend doesn't like sour beers so opening a 75cl bottle to drink by myself is not something I do often.
Belgian beers tend to age pretty well as far as I know due to the yeast used. It will continue to change aspects of the beer as time goes on. Belgian sours I'm not as well versed in, we only get a handful around where I live and I drink them immediately. The sours I was referencing are fruit heavy sours that have been a huge boom lately in the states. Guava strawberry peach fruit, etc. loses it fresh flavors quickly
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:27 pm
Belgian beers tend to age pretty well as far as I know due to the yeast used. It will continue to change aspects of the beer as time goes on. Belgian sours I'm not as well versed in, we only get a handful around where I live and I drink them immediately. The sours I was referencing are fruit heavy sours that have been a huge boom lately in the states. Guava strawberry peach fruit, etc. loses it fresh flavors quickly
Adjunct beers in general tend to loose their adjunct flavors quickly. Especially fruit. The difference between a pastry sour and a barrel aged sour is night and day in terms of construction. I'd also note that while some darker beers age extremely well (as you say Inks) there are plenty of porters and stouts that also taste better fresh. Ageing packaged beer can be a crapshoot and even people who "know what they're doing" find themselves with a five year old bottle of BBA Coffee Stout that barely hints at a bean or a similarly aged Barleywine that's turned to molasses.
By inksb
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:30 pm
inksb wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:27 pm
Adjunct beers in general tend to loose their adjunct flavors quickly. Especially fruit. The difference between a pastry sour and a barrel aged sour is night and day in terms of construction. I'd also note that while some darker beers age extremely well (as you say Inks) there are plenty of porters and stouts that also taste better fresh. Ageing packaged beer can be a crapshoot and even people who "know what they're doing" find themselves with a five year old bottle of BBA Coffee Stout that barely hints at a bean or a similarly aged Barleywine that's turned to molasses.
I found a bottle of Dogfishhead 120 Minute in my cupbard recently from 2014, I have no recollection of putting it away and no idea why I would have "aged" it, probably just cleaning up one day and stuck it in there out of the way and completely forgot about it. I wonder how that tastes.
By CrossedPete
inksb wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:34 pm I'll add to Mateo's comments on beer aging. Like he said hop flavors have diminishing returns as it ages. I learned this many years ago when I had a friend send me a case of one of my favorite beers (just so happens to be the one I posted not too long ago, Lunch). I tried to savor them but after about 3 months I started to notice a drastic change in the flavor profile which made me sad as I had around half a case left, I then drank them all very fast and saved one last one to check a few months later for science purposes, it did not taste great lol.

As for stouts and porters, lots of those can be aged and improve flavors as they get older. I don't ever age anything like that though, I'm too impatient.

I've been out of the beer making game for quite a few years so my knowledge on what goes into the process of a lot of new styles that are dominating the market is much more limited. I have noticed that Sours really lose their flavor after a few weeks which was quite disappointing to discover when I was saving a few beers for my brother to try.
Thanks for your input/info. I think I might start drinking some of these beers. I would much rather enjoy my favourite beer than sour on it.
By Mateo Sanboval
I'd only drink that room temp 120 as a biological experiment. That's one I'd feed to the drain myself, but to each their own.
By 334578rpm
I've got a bottle of this from last Thanksgiving I'm going to continue to let age in the back of the fridge for a while.
Attachments
PXL_20210302_202102552~2.jpg
PXL_20210302_202102552~2.jpg (995.26 KiB) Viewed 2197 times