Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
This is a great beer, slick.
By inksb
@ bez love that mug. I'm currently doing the same. Watching some cartoons and drinking some Sumatra coffee.

@mateo how does that taste? I chuckled at the description "Northeast style" I've never seen a juicy IPA called that. It's usually called New England style. I do appreciate a good juicy IPA but damn are there about 4 million different kinds kicking around out there. We currently have a big highly sought after brewery from NYC that bought a closed down brewery in the area. They are renovating it at the moment even though it didn't need it, every Friday and Saturday they bring cans up from their NYC brewery and sell them out of the doorway of the building. They are minimum $18 a 4pk of 16oz cans, usually $20 or $22. Good beer but I can't justify spending that much regularly. And it's pure insanity there, people have started lining up for beer at 2-3 AM for a 9 AM opening.
By Mateo Sanboval
It's delicious. I like hazy IPAs (aka NEIPAs), but not usually milkshake thick. This is an excellent beer by an excellent brewery. With bonus points for the Heat reference. They don't sell directly to the public but their wholesale stock sells out in less than five minutes via email. It's nuts. Like a Mondo poster drop. Which brewery is renovating a second location upstate? Other Half?
By inksb
Yup. It's Other Half. I had their stout made from cookies and cereal the other day. It was insanely delicious and too rich. I only drank maybe 4 oz and that was about all I needed.

And I'm not sold on the milkshake IPA's yet. They are interesting but all have been "too much" to enjoy a pint of.
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:56 pm Yup. It's Other Half. I had their stout made from cookies and cereal the other day. It was insanely delicious and too rich. I only drank maybe 4 oz and that was about all I needed.

And I'm not sold on the milkshake IPA's yet. They are interesting but all have been "too much" to enjoy a pint of.
Yep, the gimmicky shit is really big right now. Milkshakes don't move the needle for me either.
By milliondollars
ok, this is crazy... after years on this forum i discover that there is more threads (...apart from the library thread, haha!)

this is one thread that excites me the most and some of you guys become even more likeable to me!

@Bez&Mateo: i really love your action pics!

i am a beer addict myself and started making my own beer quite some years ago. anyone else is brewing beer in here? this is how my beer cellar looks like nowadays.
20180708_113221_resized_1.jpg
20180708_113221_resized_1.jpg (974.86 KiB) Viewed 4594 times
this is a very recent pic of me sampling my samba pale ale which is a drinkable (5,4% alc. by vol.) but still rich tasting summer style ale. i used mosaic hops for the finish and barley, wheat, oats and corn flakes for the mash. i know it is not standard but it tastes so lovely. about to do a wheat beer for my brother in law celebrating his 40th birthday in about three months.
20180820_181718_resized.jpg
20180820_181718_resized.jpg (22.49 KiB) Viewed 4594 times
By inksb
@milliondollars, that looks like quite the nice set up you have there. I brew beer myself although I'm not nearly as fancy as you. Unfortunately I had to take last year off, some personal things got in the way and was never able to make time. My brewing season is about April to Oct/Nov. I heat my home with wood so the wildly changing temperature is not good for fermentation so I have to keep it to the other months of the year. If I had the space I would convert a freezer into a temp controlled fermenter but that's not in the cards until I move into my next home.

I have been brewing for about 10 years now, I am amateur at best. I make consistently good beers, nothing mind blowing. I don't experiment nearly as much as I would like to due to my closest brewing store over an hour away so I tend to prioritize good recipes over crazy ones that may fail miserably. I made 30 gallons of beer for my friends wedding two summers ago, a brown ale, summer wheat and an IPA. 10 gallons of IPA were gone in an hour and half. I got one glass of it. I even had a beer snob who was carrying around a cooler of Focal Banger, Heady Topper and Sip of Sunshine compliment me on the IPA. I need to find a friend to help me brew a few times this summer, my usual partner in crime is hiking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) all summer.

I used to make hard cider, a friend and I built our own press about 6 years ago. I haven't made it in a few years as I wasn't really drinking it and only bringing it to events and giving it to friends and family. We made 130 gallons of cider one year and I still have bottles in my basement that were just too bland to bother drinking. We tried over 20 different apple and yeast combos that year. Some were great, others not so much.
By Bezulsqy
@Million
Of course you have a beer cellar :-)
Would love to try a couple of your homebrews!

@Inksb
the same goes for you, would love to try a brew from you sometimes.

@Mateo and @Inksb
what IPA's are concerned I prefer the NEIPA's or double IPA/NEIPA's. I tried a milkshake ipa once but did not like it. Also not a big fan of stouts or coffee flavoured beers.
And I love sour Belgian beers. Favorite brewery is Alvinne.

Getting great quality IPA's brewed in the US over here is very expensive (shipping costs) but fortunately a lot of great stuff is being made in Europe as well. Supersonic from LERVIG (Norway) is rather excellent.
By milliondollars
@inksb: that sounds amazing. been in the brewing game for (only) about six years now. would love to see your set up. 30 gallons of beer is quite fancy! i can make about 12 in one batch with my set up. i have a pressure tank with a cooling jacket that i can adjust with my cooling unit. obviously i am not limited to a specific brewing season that way. also i can store beer (lagers) for some months if i had to. it is not the most fancy set up there is, but i am really happy as i can do almost everything i can dream of.

also, totally agree on experimenting. mostly i use some standard-ish recipes because it hurts so bad if you f**k up a brew! had to dump 10 gallons of a wheat beer recently because i made a stupid mistake. it felt like i was cutting my arm ore leg or something. i would become seriously depressed if i had to do this too often. hence, not too much experimenting in my beer cellar. i make lagers, ales, IPA's, pilsner,... more or less standard. but i like to try out a lot of different hops. my beer would probably not win an award but i would say it is above (how brewers standard) average. people like to drink i am really happy with it, too.

never did any cider. also i do not like to drink it. this is something that i will probably never do.

@Bez: whenever you are in Munich area, get in touch for a beer tasting, haha!
By inksb
You would not want to see my setup, it is rugged and piecemeal. This spring I can post a pic of it. I keep my brew kettle and accessories in the house but I brew outside in my garage. I keep the burner and my mash tuns out there year round as the weather doesn't effect them. I've never advanced my stuff past entry level all grain set up, time and money have kept me at a distance. I can technically brew up to 12 gallons at a time but I usually stick to 5 gallon batches. If I'm making beer for an event (friends wedding, party, etc) then I'll bump up to 10 gallons but I feel like I have more control over 5 because I'm most comfortable with that size and my recipes are designed around it.

I plan on making an my IPA recipe this summer, might make some slight tweaks to it but I was pretty happy with the results last time. I usually make a summer wheat for friends and family so that's in the cards even though I won't drink it too much.

My wife has celiacs disease (gluten is not allowed) so I have made a few gluten free beers for her using Sorghum. I'm not a huge fan of the flavors it imparts. Those are usually done in small 1-2 gallon batches. I've thought about trying some of the other options now that it's easier to obtain them these days. I occasionally make mead as well, I have three friends who have bees so when they have some spare honey I can get for cheap I make a few gallons of that. I have a good recipe for it that I'm happy with and usually get's consumed quite quickly. Mead is a bit too sweet for my palette most days so it's usually a share with friends and family drink when I have it. Although the wife sometimes get's into it and kills it all pretty quickly.
By Mateo Sanboval
I brew beer and cider occasionally as well and work in that industry as well. A friend of mine and I have a Tripel conditioning in their garage right now. On top of that, my Brother is the head brewer for a rather large brewery over here in the States.

@Millie - That pale looks right up my alley. Thanks to the grain bill on that sucker, I bet it's like sipping on a fluffy little cloud. And you can never go wrong with Mosaic.
By Jimmy_Mike
My cousin owns Stockyards Brewing here in KC. They don’t bottle yet and only distribute in KS and MO. Mostly straight genres without too much craziness, but they do have an imperial smoked IPA called “Spirit Cowboy” which is pretty out there.

Cheers.
By Mateo Sanboval
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:58 pm My cousin owns Stockyards Brewing here in KC. They don’t bottle yet and only distribute in KS and MO. Mostly straight genres without too much craziness, but they do have an imperial smoked IPA called “Spirit Cowboy” which is pretty out there.

Cheers.
Smoked as in the malt is smoked? So it tastes a bit like the smokiness of a traditional Islay or Jura scotch? That could be cool.
By Jimmy_Mike
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:03 am
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:58 pm My cousin owns Stockyards Brewing here in KC. They don’t bottle yet and only distribute in KS and MO. Mostly straight genres without too much craziness, but they do have an imperial smoked IPA called “Spirit Cowboy” which is pretty out there.

Cheers.
Smoked as in the malt is smoked? So it tastes a bit like the smokiness of a traditional Islay or Jura scotch? That could be cool.
Indeed. It's actually an imperial smoked pilsner, my bad. Think rauchbier, but super boozy.
By Mateo Sanboval
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:46 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:03 am

Cheers.
Indeed. It's actually an imperial smoked pilsner, my bad. Think rauchbier, but super boozy.
Heh. I was going to compare it to a Rauch, but I thought that might be too inside. Nothing escapes you, James Michael. Sounds interesting.
By milliondollars
@Inksb: it's not about the set up, it's all about the brew, haha! you seem to be quite versatile in making alcoholic beverages. i know about mead but it's not for me. also i don't like wheaty beers too much. i am the barley hoppy type of guy...

@Mateo&Jimmy: i love to have some smoky flavours in my beer! in case you should be able to get hold of this somehow, you have to check this out. by far my favourite rauch beer. it is like a pale lager but the smoke flavour is just fantastic.

https://www.brauerei-kundmueller.de/en/ ... rer-rauch/
By inksb
I'll add even more to my versatility @milliondollars. A friend of mine built a still and we make whiskey once in a while (also have distilled some weak cider). We made some really good stuff for his wedding a few years ago, even barrel aged it for a year prior. It was better than a lot of the new up and coming "local" whiskey's I see pop up. If I'm being honest with myself though, I prefer just drinking the professionals stuff though. I'll take a nice glass of Basil Hayden's over most liquor or Blanton's if I can find a bottle. I hunted for 9 months last year to find a bottle of Blanton's.
By milliondollars
haha! come on! this is just crazy. how about some red wine to add even more versatility @inksb. it's funny to read what people on this forum are able to do...

this turns out to be the secret alcoholics anonymous thread, haha!

never heard of Blantons nor Basil Haydens but when it comes to whiskey i am the Isle of Islay type of guy. stuck to this peaty/smoky stuff about 15 years ago and will never go back. got a bottle of this for christmas and going to crack the seal sooner than later. can't wait!

By inksb
Haha, I have not made wine myself but I have helped a friend a few times during different parts of the process.

I'm more of a Bourbon guy, I enjoy some Scotch but the good stuff is a bit pricey and the cheap stuff isn't worth drinking. Basil Hayden's is a nice mid range bourbon usually runs $37-$42 for a bottle. Blanton's is more of an entry into the expensive stuff. I used to be able to get it for $50 but some blog reviewed it really well a few years ago and it has become harder to get and the price is now $65 a bottle so I buy it much less.
By Mateo Sanboval
milliondollars wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:28 pm haha! come on! this is just crazy. how about some red wine to add even more versatility @inksb. it's funny to read what people on this forum are able to do...

this turns out to be the secret alcoholics anonymous thread, haha!

never heard of Blantons nor Basil Haydens but when it comes to whiskey i am the Isle of Islay type of guy. stuck to this peaty/smoky stuff about 15 years ago and will never go back. got a bottle of this for christmas and going to crack the seal sooner than later. can't wait!

I'm a Laphroaig man myself, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a dram of yours.
By Mateo Sanboval
These sound amazing.