Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Jimmy_Mike
I too love this site. I'm a 36 yr old dude and this is my first message board community/internet sub group. I wish it was easier to post photos, but compromise and understanding is the name of the game if we're to survive as a species.

I'm not on FB, no desire to enter that cess pool. I'd like to use Twitter more, but as an American, it's a difficult place to be right now. I think y'all understand that.
By ScoJo
@Jimmy -

Great response. Boy do I feel you about The Twitter. I'm UK, but hey it's a global community. My feed is a nightmare most days.
By Mateo Sanboval
Jimmy_Mike wrote:I too love this site. I'm a 36 yr old dude and this is my first message board community/internet sub group. I wish it was easier to post photos, but compromise and understanding is the name of the game if we're to survive as a species.

I'm not on FB, no desire to enter that cess pool. I'd like to use Twitter more, but as an American, it's a difficult place to be right now. I think y'all understand that.
Seconded hard.
By NathanLurker
I dislike Twitter so much. I feel no sense of community from it, it feels like people throwing a bunch of headlines (or links.. or statements that lack context and content) in the wind and hoping people listen. I had it for a few weeks, and found that logging in and checking the feed brought me nothing that I really valued.

Regarding specifically vinyl labels, I much prefer to get the teases and scoops from blogs and mailing lists and STBC. Maybe I'd get instagram because you can more easily scan visually for whatever interest you compared to watching a bland twitter feed.

I get that some people could find twitter useful, but yeah, it has nothing for me.
By skeletonbutt
I use Twitter as a news aggregator for the things I'm interested in rather than for sharing anything personal or for communicating with people.
By chandler75
skeletonbutt wrote:I use Twitter as a news aggregator for the things I'm interested in rather than for sharing anything personal or for communicating with people.
Yeah, me too. I use FB quite a lot but also mostly just for following my interests. It's very bad as a forum (replies to sub replies etc.; you have to scroll down sometimes hundreds of replies to get to the one you haven't read.)

STBC isn't that great technically as a forum either. It doesn't remember which post you last read/opened so you have to spend time looking for that last post. But the content is great and so are the people so that makes up for it :)
By Mateo Sanboval
chandler75 wrote:
skeletonbutt wrote:I use Twitter as a news aggregator for the things I'm interested in rather than for sharing anything personal or for communicating with people.
Yeah, me too. I use FB quite a lot but also mostly just for following my interests. It's very bad as a forum (replies to sub replies etc.; you have to scroll down sometimes hundreds of replies to get to the one you haven't read.)

STBC isn't that great technically as a forum either. It doesn't remember which post you last read/opened so you have to spend time looking for that last post. But the content is great and so are the people so that makes up for it :)
Actually, Chandler, I believe it does exactly that. When you open a thread with unread content, there's a (paraphrasing) "go to first unread post" button to the left of the thread page numbers. Also, and this is the one I use the most, if there is a thread with new/unread content, as indicated by the topic being in dark gray instead of light gray, then there will be a similarly dark gray asterisk directly to the left of said topic. Click that and it'll take you directly to the first unread post. If none of that is working for you, you may need to mess with your browser settings or some suchness.

PS - There're lots of bits that I wish were bobs on STBC, but that particular one has always worked great for me.
By monsterworship
Yeah.

Forum > View New Posts is the only view option that I use.

It displays all new replies/ threads since your last visit.

You have to be logged in though.
By Mateo Sanboval
monsterworship wrote:Yeah.

Forum > View New Posts is the only view option that I use.

It displays all new replies/ threads since your last visit.

You have to be logged in though.
Same here.
By chandler75
Thanks Mateo - I hadn't noticed that. It appears to work fine (but it would probaly make more sense to have the button on the top of the page so you didn't have to scroll down...).

By the way, I still haven't figured out the difference between View unread posts and View new posts...
By Mateo Sanboval
chandler75 wrote:Thanks Mateo - I hadn't noticed that. It appears to work fine (but it would probaly make more sense to have the button on the top of the page so you didn't have to scroll down...).

By the way, I still haven't figured out the difference between View unread posts and View new posts...
View new shows all the threads, read by you or not, that have been posted in recently. After a certain amount of time, even threads with content unviewed by you will drop off that list. View unread shows only the threads that have new posts (to you) in them. View unread is my bookmark for STBC. It's how I know what's new to me and helps me not miss anything. View unread threads and the asterisk that takes you to the first unread post in those threads will ensure that you won't miss anything either.
By Mateo Sanboval
Why are you shit-canning Twitter, Vi?
By Bezulsqy
vi_resmusic wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Why are you shit-canning Twitter, Vi?
I'm not sure how to explain correctly,but,it has a lot to do with it bending the definition of its own policies to allow international security threats to be effectively communicated in an informal manor. Twitter has created an inappropriate platform for a world leader to express fatal intention to another nation.
But still using Facebook...
By vi_resmusic
Bezulsqy wrote:
vi_resmusic wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Why are you shit-canning Twitter, Vi?
I'm not sure how to explain correctly,but,it has a lot to do with it bending the definition of its own policies to allow international security threats to be effectively communicated in an informal manor. Twitter has created an inappropriate platform for a world leader to express fatal intention to another nation.
But still using Facebook...[/
Last edited by vi_resmusic on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Mateo Sanboval
I appreciate a principled stand, but asking Twitter to remove anyone's tweets seems like a classic "slippery slope" to me. That said, I respect your decision and appreciate you responding to my query. I hope you keep us informed here about future releases on DCR. Cheers.
By vi_resmusic
[quote="Mateo Sanboval"]I appreciate a principled stand, but asking Twitter to remove anyone's tweets seems like a classic "slippery slope" to me. That said, I respect your decision and appreciate you responding to my query. I hope you keep us informed here about future releases on DCR. Cheers.[/quote

The moderators of this website love to remove my comments. Strategic editing by the boss.
Last edited by vi_resmusic on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Little Walter
vi_resmusic wrote:Does this post break forum rules?
'Tis the Water Cooler; vent at your will!

I hear Twitter is a useful tool for news-junkies. But I'm not sure it should be any company's position to discern free speech from venerable threats. It should be, ironically, the government's position.
By maxlevel
A tiny two cents if I may:
twitter is a toilet. I would however heartfully recommend a Reddit community page to be setup. I’ve found their /r/cassetteculture interesting occasionally. The vinyl page isn’t much use to anyone though, this forum is a million times more interesting than endless questions about flea market turntables and the merits of paying £500 for a cable made of gold unicorns assmilk
By Mateo Sanboval
maxlevel wrote:this forum is a million times more
No further comment.