Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Chris Sibellas
Hi

Is anyone else experiencing any quality issues with vinyl (especially coloured vinyl) from Death Waltz and Mondo?

Quite a few soundtracks I've purchased (Night Breed, Assault on Prescient 13, Friday 13th Pt 2, Phantasm) have one or two loud pops from visible dinks/ marks on the vinyl, a few more (Night Breed the first time and Twin Peaks) arrived scratched (both were sealed).

I don't think I'm being a perfectionist as other vinyl I buy from other labels have no such issues with dinks, pops or crackles.

Am I just very unlucky with the vinyl I receive or does anyone have issues with vinyl quality?

Thanks

Chris
By texasvinyl
Vinyl is an imperfect medium, so YMMV. I don't sweat the small stuff and only worry when there is a big defect like a noticeably off center warbly pressing. Maybe go for black over the color effects? I haven't had many issues at all with the Dw/Mondo catalog.
By vi_resmusic
@texas is there a black Twin Peaks? I can only find sugar pop candy shit coloured versions.

Coloured vinyl is something that I am still at odds with. To me the discs primary function is to playback an audio recording and it's function should end right there. Not only has coloured vinyl been proven in most cases to be of inferior sound quality to black,it is also more expensive to produce. I understand the attraction of the other package items,obi strips etc contributing to the record playing experience but a confectionary looking record is not what I want. If I want compromised audio quality then I will buy an MP3.

I don't understand this market. I does not make sense to me. I like film music and I like,no,prefer vinyl.
By Mateo Sanboval
vi_resmusic wrote:@texas is there a black Twin Peaks? I can only find sugar pop candy shit coloured versions.

Coloured vinyl is something that I am still at odds with. To me the discs primary function is to playback an audio recording and it's function should end right there. Not only has coloured vinyl been proven in most cases to be of inferior sound quality to black,it is also more expensive to produce. I understand the attraction of the other package items,obi strips etc contributing to the record playing experience but a confectionary looking record is not what I want. If I want compromised audio quality then I will buy an MP3.

I don't understand this market. I does not make sense to me. I like film music and I like,no,prefer vinyl.
All of the original Twin Peaks pressings are on black wax, but the most recent DWRC reissue are all on coffee colored vinyl.
By vi_resmusic
I like the package from death waltz.

Having said all of that...I generally find death waltz coloured to be okay.
The recent over priced Stranger Things isn't so good.
By Mateo Sanboval
vi_resmusic wrote:I like the package from death waltz.

Having said all of that...I generally find death waltz coloured to be okay.
The recent over priced Stranger Things isn't so good.
The black Stranger Things Vol 1 sounded pretty good to me, but I can't speak to the myriad other variants.
By vi_resmusic
There,are drugs pressed into the records. The labels have the kids hooked. The people who buy the records have 2 classifications, The Enlightened and The Unconcious. The Unconcious make comments about the sound quality of a release, this is an obvious sign that they are ignorant to the actual reason for the existence of coloured records. These wackoes wonder why the records sound bad. The Enlightened are the ones who say things like "this one sounds good"- that is code for "high strength,fast acting,pure cocaine. These guys don't actually play the records,they ingest them.

Shelve a record and become enlightened.