Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By JurassicCarpenter
Hey all,

Just a quick stupid question regarding what is actually an OBI strip ...

So I got The Guest on vinyl and it comes with a yellow OBI strip that wraps around the whole record, very cool, adore that film and the score. But I also got Halloween II and Prince of Darkness (both black vinyl) and they came with a piece of paper folded over the side of the record with info about the record and about future releases on the back. Are those also considered OBI strips? I threw those ones out because they seemed more like a promo advert thing rather than part of the release (and preserving the integrity of the release is not as important to me as enjoying the record). Anyways, just wanted to know if those are also OBI strips (technically) and curious if you all keep them. I guess if I ever resell it then I would want to list if it was "incomplete" without the OBI strip. Thanks!
By monsterworship
Obi in Japanese means sash/belt.

So the ones on the left spine technically could be but they are different than the typically Japanese record style where it wraps around the record front and back.

I keep everything for my records including the hype sticker from the wrap:)

As a collector I would prefer to have everything it came with even the paper.

Hell even when I buy used or older vinyl, I will save the old paper sleeve, printed or not, and replace it with a new one outside the jacket.

But perhaps my collecting habits might be a bit extreme.
By JurassicCarpenter
Gotcha. Thanks for the info! Yeah I totally understand getting crazy about collecting habits, at times I have been like that, but I am trying to approach vinyl collecting with a "listening first" attitude and to not focus so much on collecting, for instance I won't buy a release even if it looks really really cool if I know I'm not going to listen to it. But I can appreciate the collector habits. I have started using cotton gloves to handle records sometimes if it's something I really want to keep pristine. Some of the new sleeves on releases can soak up a lot of oil from my hands, and it looks gross. Then again, I throw out stickers and side strips, so I'm in between.

Funny about the paper sleeves on old vinyl, I always replace mine if they are dirty and never think about it (unless it's printed).
By NathanLurker
Always keep the OBI, it's part of the package design. I also keep the stickers, and place inside the cover sleeve/gatefold and place everything in a plastic outersleeve.

OBIs are cool and yes they will have ads on them, just like an insert sheet can have Ads as well. you wouldn't throw away an insert sheet would you ? ;)
By JurassicCarpenter
True true NathanLurker, wouldn't throw away an insert ...

OBIs are cool. :) I will keep them from now on in case I resell them. But for now they will just spin and spin ....