Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Purplemule74
Hello -

While I'm a vinyl collector, I can't afford to buy every vinyl recording, nor do I always have the time to spend hanging out with my record player. So I enjoy listening to music online for free when I'm on the move, at work, etc.

From time to time on STBC, I've noticed people posting links to listen to free music online. For instance, there was a recent post about free library music (that I'll be damned if I can find again - please repost it) to listen to online.

It would be great if we could create a sort of database on here of places where you can listen to music for free online that may be a bit more obscure or difficult to find than listen to Pandora. I'll bet there are some great resources people know about that many of us haven't thought to post.

So I'm posting the first of hopefully many posts to come:

I've been listening to 'The National Jukebox', and I thought I would post this because some of our friends in Europe (and elsewhere) may not be aware of this service.

Basically, you can listen to thousands of pre-1930s recordings for free from the United States Library of Congress. There are some great ragtime, jazz and blues (among others) numbers on here. I'm partial to the early 'singer with a big band' recordings - think the ballroom scene from 'The Shining' and you've got the picture.

A description from the National Jukebox follows. At the bottom, please find a link to the website.

About the National Jukebox

"The Library of Congress presents the National Jukebox, which makes historical sound recordings available to the public free of charge. The Jukebox includes recordings from the extraordinary collections of the Library of Congress Packard Campus for Audio Visual Conservation and other contributing libraries and archives. Recordings in the Jukebox were issued on record labels now owned by Sony Music Entertainment, which has granted the Library of Congress a gratis license to stream acoustical recordings.

At launch, the Jukebox includes more than 10,000 recordings made by the Victor Talking Machine Company between 1901 and 1925. Jukebox content will be increased regularly, with additional Victor recordings and acoustically recorded titles made by other Sony-owned U.S. labels, including Columbia, OKeh, and others."

National Jukebox Link