Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By horseloverphat
Hello...my name is Stephen, but my internet name is horselover phat (a play on Philip K Dick's character and own name from Valis) and I currently live in Dublin, moved here 2011 (relocated via job) after spending 20 years in London and I am originally from the south coast of England (Dorset).

I've loved films and soundtracks for a very long time now...perhaps starting out with Apocalypse Now. I too have quite a large appreciation for the horror/sci-fi genre (film & books) and one that has stayed with me ever since the popularity of video...1981 onwards. Yes...I even remember the days before video nasties were banned and seeing them in all their glory on the rental shelf.

I'm particularly a huge fan of David Lynch, Stanley Kubrick, John Carpenter, David Cronenberg etc and also much other horror, sci-fi and film in general. I have written rather extensively about them (the former directors) and their works via blogging. I don't want to use the intro to go on too much about that, but it is easy to find...if you're that way inclined.

It's great to see DW, OWS, Waxwork & Mondo produce these vinyl diamonds and long may it continue. I am onboard for 'DW sub 4', onboard for 'OWS 1st sub' and I can barely contain my excitement!
By ninjaqutie
[quote=17942]Hello…my name is Stephen, but my internet name is horselover phat (a play on Philip K Dick’s character and own name from Valis) and I currently live in Dublin, moved here 2011 (relocated via job) after spending 20 years in London and I am originally from the south coast of England (Dorset).

I’ve loved films and soundtracks for a very long time now…perhaps starting out with Apocalypse Now. I too have quite a large appreciation for the horror/sci-fi genre (film & books) and one that has stayed with me ever since the popularity of video…1981 onwards. Yes…I even remember the days before video nasties were banned and seeing them in all their glory on the rental shelf.

I’m particularly a huge fan of David Lynch, Stanley Kubrick, John Carpenter, David Cronenberg etc and also much other horror, sci-fi and film in general. I have written rather extensively about them (the former directors) and their works via blogging. I don’t want to use the intro to go on too much about that, but it is easy to find…if you’re that way inclined.

It’s great to see DW, OWS, Waxwork & Mondo produce these vinyl diamonds and long may it continue. I am onboard for ‘DW sub 4′, onboard for ‘OWS 1st sub’ and I can barely contain my excitement!
[/quote]

Ireland is lovely; I spent my honeymoon there driving from Shannon around the southern coastline to Dublin. It was an adventure to say the least. Glad to see you are a subber, as it is a great way to experience some records that you wouldn't normally buy. :) You will learn a lot about vinyl here. I am pretty new to the game myself since I just started collecting vinyl last May and have only really been collecting soundtracks since early fall.
By Oiche
Small world Dollarhyde! I also have the dubious pleasure of working for the NHS (in a local community team) and live in Colchester.
By toosoonjunior
Hi, pals! I'm David from Denton, TX. I finally starting contributing to this fair site just a couple months ago after lurking for many moons. I've always been a collector of one thing or another. When I was a kid it was NES games, when I was a teen it was obscure hip hop tapes/CDs, as an adult it's a combination of old maps and a mix of soundtracks/instrumental music/private press hip hop rekkids.

I work from home, so I am constantly looking for great new (to me) instrumental music to listen to while I work. This forum has been awesome for getting the jump on new releases and discovering music I'm sure I never would have heard of otherwise.

So, thanks to all!
By soundtracks of fear
Hey Mark
I don't know if you'll see this in time but I've noticed on eBay.co.UK a copy of Return of the living dead pic disc - go get it. 3 days to go! Quite like it myself but hey you are actually out seeking it.
Sorry can't give you a direct link as I'm on my phone.
By Hoodini
Hi
Iam new here ; i have been collecting vinyls for a long time ; mainly hip hop, funk, disco soul and of course soundtracks and i love mixing them all together!
Iam into movies ; especially those 70 and 80z gems, but i also love books...well collecting is one of my many hobbys.
iam glad to be here ; seems a very nice place to hang out ;)
By ghamman66
Hi,

My name is Gordon. I have been collecting vinyl for many years. A divorce forced me to lose a lot of my vinyl. After a long time, I have started collecting again. My son and I are very big fans of soundtracks and are very excited to find this forum!!!!

I am working to replace that lost stuff...mostly metal, head bangers type but....soundtracks provide another vein of music for me.

I look forward to picking up "special music" in the near future.

Spin on!!
By oaxaca
Hey I'm Rich, 28 and live in the West Midlands. I've been into films from the VHS days, especially 'cult' films; Horror (Hammer / 80s / all of it! :D), Gialli, Repo Man, 80s neo-noir, stuff like that, not to mention older cinema like the film noir of the 40s and 50s, Hitchcock, westerns, etc.

I've been collecting vinyl for about 3 years now but not soundtracks. However, about 4 months ago now I found Death Waltz and it suddenly occurred to me that soundtracks provide the perfect way for me to combine my love of film and vinyl :p Since then I've been mainly buying new stuff from the big hitters DW, Mondo, OWS and Private Records. Amazing stuff, The Hills Have Eyes is a particular favourite, as are the Carpenter and Fulci releases and Mondo's The Visitor!

More recently I've been scouring the local record shops of Coventry, Birmingham, etc, as well as discogs for used soundtracks and have had some really good finds! My latest buys are Warlock (Silva Screen) and Invasion USA (Varese Sarabande) - Cannot wait to give those 2 a listen!

Anyway I love browsing these forums, the 'vinyl now playing' thread is the perfect heads up as to what can be found out there with a bit of searching. I'll try to contribute as much as poss :)
By abedunk
Howdy!

My name's Abe. I'm the host of the Evening Jazz program on public radio station KPLU in the Seattle area, home of Light in the Attic Records!

Aside from 15+ years hosting jazz radio, I hosted The Live Room (a 1-hour live NW performance/interview show) from '93-'02 on public radio station KCMU, now KEXP. Following that, I helped host the local show on KEXP, now picking up a sub shift here and there.

I'm a longtime fan of films, too, spending my teen years in the 80s devouring every horror film in our local video store. I guess my appreciation for soundtrack recordings was inevitable, but really took off with the 2006 release of the Vampiros Lesbos Soundtrack from Crippled Dick Hot Wax Records.

I'm a relatively new collector, but I've been thrilled by a ton of the music released by the excellent labels in this forum. Glad to be a small part of this cool crew.

By Whip Wilson
Hey, everyone. My name is Mateo. I live in the upper left-hand corner and I can do flips. I have a dog. Also, I was fibbing about the flips.
By Peek-a-boo
I'm Andy & like @Si I also live just south of Manchester. Sale to be exact.

My background in music is that I worked freelance for a record store in Manchester called Fat City which has now sadly shut down. I ran a Hip Hop club night for 10 years, have DJ'd for around 15 years & been buying records for over 20 years.

I buy music from pretty much every genre.

Now, my day job is as a surveyor, which is really dull but just about fuels my vinyl habit...
By hellorockview89
I've lurked this forum for about 6 months or so now, and actually have been a member for about 3 months. Figured it would be about time to give a proper introduction. My name is Andrew and I live everywhere. At least for the past seven years. I am in the U.S. Military and my time serving has allowed me to visit some great and not so great places with many experiences and stories to tell in my later years. My permanent home is in NJ though and I'm fairly new to the vinyl collecting scene. My collection consists of mostly film scores, with relapse records releases coming in a close second, followed by misc. punk albums.

Other hobbies include collecting horror blu rays and skateboard decks. Looking forward to being a more productive member in this community and talk vinyl collecting with all of you!
By filmsonwax
Hi my name is Charlie and I run a soundtrack website called Films On Wax. I thought it was high-time I started posting here. I also write the sales/obi notes for Spencer, and I wrote liner notes for the DW deluxe GODZILLA. Nice to meet everyone.
By philball1974
[quote=54351]I also write the sales/obi notes for Spencer[/quote]

Did you put Gareth Edwards? :)

By Lord of the Ringo Star Wars
Hi,Im Michael. I live in Newcastle,Australia which is a couple of hours North of Sydney.
My father shamelessly brought me up on horror,action and sci-fi films from a very young age( I thought that i was Michael Myers at age 8).
He bought The Fog and Halloween soundtracks when I was about 7 years old,I ran out of the house overtime he played them (he doesn't know where they are now). Ive been working as a sound engineer for 22 years and playing in bands since I was 13 years old. I have just started making synth based music this year under the name Vi-Res and self released an album a couple of months ago. I had no idea of the amount of people that are interested in film music until I stumbled across STBC a couple of months ago. Not only are there kindred spirits but my favourites are available on vinyl. My pocket is now suffering.
Cheers.
By bpwlogan
@Vi-res, my father was the same way. He would take us to see any film we wanted to go to. I remember seeing The Gates of Hell(City of the Living Dead) at the movies when I was around 11. Welcome!
By m-bryce
Doesn't look like anyone has bothered with this thread for a while so......

Hello all..
I'm Mike from east Scotland. Been collecting vinyl and other formats since my teens but lost the lot a few years ago due to some bad life choices. Slowly getting things back though and glad to be a part of this forum.
I like soundtracks, pop and alternative music, cult films and collecting.
By deafmetal
Bumping this thread as we have some new forum members, and I realize I did not introduce myself back when I joined a few years ago. It would be great to continue to build a community here, rather than on social media sites. There is some good info and stories if you dig back through the pages...

Hello, I am Mark from Portland, Oregon. I grew up in late 70's/early 80's in the middle of nowhere in the upper Midwest US. I was raised on science fiction/fantasy, 50’s giant monster and Toho Godzilla films, along with at least thirty viewings of Clash of the Titans, Dragonslayer and The Beastmaster (all three from 1981-1982, and my childhood holy trinity). Horror and R-rated films were completely [R]estricted in my parents’ overly religious home, but a few clandestine viewings of banned material while at friends' houses set the stage for some life-long interests: Conan the Barbarian at age seven while at a friend's overnight birthday party had me absolutely spellbound. I had never seen (or heard!) anything like it, and had no access to the comics or the Robert E. Howard novels. All my friends fell asleep early on in the viewing, but I was wide awake and riveted to the screen. My friend's mom came in to shut off the TV, but I begged her to let me finish the movie. Crom laughs at your four winds! Another mind-altering experience at a young age was a secret viewing of Alien at a friend's house. The film scared the Jesus right out of me, as well as began a lifelong obsession with the art of H.R. Giger, and eternal love for Sigourney Weaver. Finally, a random, solo viewing of The Exorcist nearly stopped my heart, as I had been indoctrinated to believe demonic possession was real! I think it was even the TV edit for fuck’s sake. I still think it’s one of the scariest films ever made. I can barely stand to watch it, and have only seen it three times. It’s actually screening at the local theater here soon with Linda Blair attending, but I don’t think I could bring myself to watch it again. The last time I watched it was the theatrical run of the Extended Director’s Cut in a small, dark theater with about five other people, and that crab-walking down the stairs scene… fucking hell.

As for music, I was attracted to film scores and electronic music (and the final years of disco) very early on, and my first vinyl record purchase at age six was the Music from Star Wars LP by the Electric Moog Orchestra. I still have it. My interest in DJ'ing was also sparked when I brought this LP to the “play your own record day" in grade school music class, and I dropped the Cantina Band remix -- which blew the roof off the music room and had my classmates dancing in the aisles:

Another cornerstone musical moment in my young life was when my parents took me to a street parade in a large city. I was standing on the sidewalk watching when I heard the most incredible music coming down the street (at high volume!). The drum machine beats and synthesizers were lighting my brain on fire, and it kept getting louder as it approached. Finally, a high school girls' dance team came into view, which was more than enough to peak my interest, but that music!

The combination of the entrancing music and the beautiful dancers seemed to etch itself forever into my memory, and it is easily one of the fondest memories of my childhood. To this day, hearing Axel F makes me smile, no matter how many remakes/sequels of Beverly Hills Cop are made (which I was never allowed to watch anyway - my parents let me buy the soundtrack though).

Later in the 80’s, I happened upon Big Trouble in Little China and I immediately pronounced it the “greatest film ever made”. It also turned me into an instant fan of John Carpenter, and I tracked down what I could: a TV edit of Escape From New York, which I loved (along with Adrienne Barbeau), and then They Live arrived in 1988. This film spoke to me like few others had before, as I was a kid in the tail-end of the Reagan years of the 1980’s. It really gave me an insightful view about the world I was growing up in. I stumbled across a few horror films during that time (The Thing), but my parents ran a tight ship, and raided my tapes on the regular for any contraband material.

Fast forward to my late teenage years -- now deeper into horror and death/thrash metal, but always interested in electronic/computer music -- I suddenly found myself immersed in the early 90's rave culture, and especially how some of this “techno” music I enjoyed so much was actually being made with computer software. I could never afford hardware keyboards or synthesizers back then, but I did manage to pick up two turntables and mixer in college and moonlighted as a DJ on the weekends. I spent a few years on the Midwest US rave circuit, but eventually burned out. By this point, I was getting more into mixing Italian funk and film scores with electro/techno, and buying all the Crippled Dick Hot Wax albums at the local shop. I was known as “the soundtrack guy” at the local used record stores, and was always willing to pass along mixtapes of ambient and experimental electronic music, but sometimes interspersed with Beck or Björk tracks (but never The Beatles). I have been collecting vinyl since the 80’s, and my collection is primarily electronic, metal, and soundtracks.
Last edited by deafmetal on Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.