Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By scentofdeath

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/n ... ic-in-full

Truth and wisdom.
Very coherent and worthwhile reading, and it voices what I think most of us currently know and feel deep down. But I should't really speak for others so please, fans, music makers, label owners, distributors discuss and debate.

And let's keep it friendly :)
By lazyben
I'll bite as I think this is very interesting and something I give a fair amount of thought to despite my last music industry related employment being nearly 20 years ago at this point.

I've bought probably 700-800 odd releases so far this year, I've always bought a lot but this really has been a banner year. The major record labels have probably got less than 10% of that on the surface but I have no real idea on all the licensing shenanigans that go on so they may get more than that on the backend. I really don't remember the last time I bought something from a new artist on a major.

Personally I don't buy from record stores as much as I should these days. I have to drive an hour to get to a decent one and I'm busy with work and family so I only make it into a store every couple of months or so. I still enjoy the experience and I spend a whole bunch of money while I'm there but I'm not the most reliable customer these days. Once upon a time I was in record shops pretty much every day of the year but it was another time and another place.

So I use the internet a lot and a variety of mailorder outlets, many of which are actual record stores, just not necessarily located anywhere near me. I moved from the UK over ten years ago now but I still buy quite a lot from Norman and other places that I used to use when I lived there. I'm probably more loyal to those (I've been a Norman customer since they opened) than any of the US sites although LITA and Forced Exposure do pretty well out of me.

But what has really changed over the last several years is the ability to buy directly from the labels and bands you like. I've always had relationships with both but it's changed from the fanzine and bedroom label crowd to pretty much anyone who feels like it with all the channels available these days. It's always nice to get a note from the band thanking you for your order even if it does cost a buck or two more than going the amazon route.

I find all my new music from recommendations from trusted stores and labels or places like this. I haven't listened to the radio since John Peel died. The only things I watch on tv are movies. I have no idea what new stuff the majors are pushing these days and I suspect I'm not missing much.

The internet has made me more distant from the middleman but closer to the source. I'm good with that.
By hncreature
That was excellent lazyben!
By lazyben
Thanks dude.

I am concerned in some ways as some of my friends who've been running small labels for 20+ years are finding it hard going these days. Costs are up and it's easier to get lost in the noise now there's more competition at their sort of level I suppose. I've collected British bedroom indie labels for a long time now and I'm not sure that side of things is doing as well as it used to. Being an antidote to the majors may be less of a plan when the majors have lost all relevance I suppose.

The other major issue for spinners is the pile back into vinyl which is causing all sorts of problems. The sheer amount of crappy pressings I'm seeing recently is mind boggling, it seems like I'm sending something back for a replacement every other day sometimes as the pressing plants seem to have abandoned anything resembling quality control in the rush to get stuff out the door. Then we get the huge backlogs as the majors jump the queue and Record Store Day, despite the noblest of intentions in the beginning, has degenerated into a morass of flipping and corporate shit shoveling which jams everything up for months.

Then we have preorders left, right and centre, endless variants and borderline batshit pricing on some stuff and there's definitely a bubble or two waiting to burst at some point. The fallout from that won't be pretty I suspect. Still, like a bunch of record-buying cockroaches, we'll still be here grubbing around after the meltdown.
By philball1974
@lazyben summed that up perfectly.
By tonyandrewgiles
[quote=41950]Then we have preorders left, right and centre, endless variants and borderline batshit pricing on some stuff and there’s definitely a bubble or two waiting to burst at some point. The fallout from that won’t be pretty I suspect. Still, like a bunch of record-buying cockroaches, we’ll still be here grubbing around after the meltdown.[/quote]

Couldn't have said it any better myself.
By Whip Wilson
Ben, well said. As usual you've nailed it. Thanks for your thoughts.