Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By philball1974
So I'm not sure if this can be answered on a general bases or if its different information for each release so I will pose the question on what I am buying.

I am looking at finally getting a copy of Pearl Jams Ten on vinyl, on discogs there are 22 different versions (77 including non vinyl). All seem to carry different prices, for example Epic released in Brazil £23, Epic released in Spain £46.

Is there a way to understand/determine the right one to pick up? Do I go for the cheapest as they are all the same?

Theres also another question on the back of this. Are Unofficial ones best avoided? I was recently looking at Tool albums and they all had (unofficial) next to them even though the label says Tool Dissectional!

Any help, general tips in these situations would be greatly appreciated.
By freshoj
'Unofficial' implies bootleg, so I avoid those unless they are really the only viable option.

I have no idea about Ten. Perhaps some copies have better quality vinyl or covers than others, so read the details and 'edit history' pages carefully to glean any info that might put you off. For example, in europe in the 50's a lot of jazz and early rock came in flimsy 'envelope' style sleeves when compared to their US counterparts.
By thedeepness
What a great album. One of my favorite debut albums from any band ever. I have had a few different ones over the years and never noticed much difference except with the new "Redux" versions which are new remixes of the album. I find myself liking the original mix better than the new remixes. There are some parts of the remixes that sound fuller with better balance of the instruments but it just isn't the same as the original I grew up with.
I saw them play in Denver a couple weeks back and man do they still bring it at live shows. Eddie drank atleast 3 bottles of wine during the show and the whole band had really high energy all night. 17 songs for the encore.
By philball1974
Thanks for the info. I must admit having seen Nirvana and RATM in the 90s, Pearl Jam were the one band i really wish I had seen. That said I could happily sit and listen to him play the Ukulele all night!
By thedeepness
I never got to see Nirvana, wish I had. I saw Pearl Jam in 1992 and then 2 weeks ago, 22 year gap between the 2 shows.
By freshoj
My first Pearl Jam show was the fall of '91. My buddies met them at our college radio station and were given t-shirts with Mookie Blaylock on them (their original band name). Anyway, it was a triple bill: RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam (in that order, with Pearl Jam's name tiny at the bottom). My missed band from the 90's is the Pixies - no idea how I managed to do that given my love for the band and that I was living in the northeast.
By freshoj
as soon as I hit 'submit' i started to doubt my memory. I found Jeff Ament's recollection: "When we were recording our first record, we had a per diem of about $10. So when we got lunch at the store across the street, we'd always buy a pack of basketball cards. When we turned in our tape, we didn't have a name for the band yet so we put a Mookie Blaylock card in the case. We were about to go on a tour and still didn't have a name and needed one quickly. We were told it didn't need to be the name that we were going to use forever, just something for the tour. Someone saw the Mookie Blaylock card and said, ‘How about Mookie Blaylock?' We decided to go with it and did a 10-show tour with Alice in Chains as Mookie Blaylock. Mookie was cool about it, too—he didn't sue us. I actually got to meet him later on and shoot around a little bit. We also made a Pearl Jam T-shirt with a picture of him on it. I guess we owe Mookie a lot."

and here is the shirt: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEARL-JAM-Vinta ... 35da277abf

ok, sorry to get so off topic (maybe?)
By thedeepness
Cool story, not off topic at all. My missed bands from the 90's are Nirvana and Alice in Chains. Especially Alice in Chains, I used to listen to them non stop and still play them pretty often. Stupid Heroin killing great singers!

@jmctodo - How far Northeast? I was born and raised in Maine.
By philball1974
I used to be a regular at the reading festival in the UK but stopped going around '98 I think it was (Beastie Boys played) so got to see a lot of the great bands of that era. Pearl Jam played Brixton Academy but I couldn't be arsed to go! Shame on me!!
By freshoj
@thedeepness - I was born in MA, went to school outside Albany (the show I mentioned was out that way) and then moved to Boston. Then, after an 8 year stint in SF, I am back east - in Portland no less!

Being a college freshmen in '91 put me in a good spot to catch most of these bands (Nirvana in Springfield, Alice in Chains in RI, Rage Against the Machine a couple times, etc) Really is baffling I missed the Pixies - and now I refuse to go to any of their reunion shows as a way to punish myself.
By Spun out of control
Saw Nirvana on their infamous headlining 1992 Reading Festival appearance after a day of weather so bad it felt like the end of the world... and the Pixies on the same bill in 1990 I think it was, my first ever festival. Was amazed that for such energizing music the Pixies themselves played near stock still.

Another great band from that era and still going are Jane's Addiction of course. Saw them live early 90's supporting The Wonder Stuff at Brixton Academy and was annoyed at the time as they'd replaced Ned's Atomic Dustbin on the bill (!) remember Perry Farrell going off on a long rant about the Gulf War... original vinyl from all these guys, not that it would be particularly worth anything in itself

As to which vinyl should you choose... Googling whatever it is normally brings you to some vinyl enthusiasts' site with knowledgeable folk sounding off :)
By soundtracks of fear
Missed Nirvana and Pearl Jam playing in a 300 capacity the same month in a club called Edwards in Birmingham UK. It was around a week before the release of Bleach I think and some college buddies had all been up and got blown away. I did get to see Alice in Chains a few times though and their first solo show at Camden Underworld London which is also a tiny venue. These were the acid days and everyone was high, for me they were my ultimate band back then. Anyway, I used to paint leather jackets and I had facelift painted on the back mine which I was wearing. In the moment in amongst all the surfing and stage diving, managed to take off my painted jacket as I decided it was to be an offering to I guess at the time was my 'hero' ;) and favourite band. I stepped up to the stage and the bouncer headed my way, Layne Stayley the vocalist put his hand out to hold him back. I gave him the jacket and he shook my hand and gave me a long acid stare thanked me and off I dived back into the crowd. Bit of a trip that one!
By Whip Wilson
Love reading about all the New Englanders in here, gents. Oh, and the music is fine as well. I missed Nirvana which I regret. I left NH for college in the Northwest and I never saw them. I saw nearly everybody else though, especially Pearl Jam. I've even managed to see them with Neil Young (my all time favorite) on three occasions over the years. JMC, treat yourself: The Pixies reunions have been great; even this last one without Kim Deal.
By texasvinyl
Phil, I have the 2009 one with the tan cover and two different album mixes. It's... interesting. I have nothing to compare it to, but I maybe would rather have seen them choose one mix and cut it across 2LPs at 45RPM. Anyway, here's a link to a UK seller with a copy.

http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/170675365
By jgibbs4053
@thedeepness "stupid heroin killing great singers!" Stupid heroin made all these great singers as well
By texasvinyl
Since we're on the subject of 1991 rock albums, check out what I found in the used bin today for a really good price! Original '91 pressing. I think November Rain is one of the all-time great rock songs and maybe the best symphonic rock ballad ever. I wonder how many times I watched the music video on MTV.