Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Occhionero
The Original score was/is perfect. I don't see a need for a re-score.
By ghostfires
Rescores are just a trendy thing now. It's going to definitely continue as these labels run out of well-known scores to reissue - rescores a will fill the void until the soundtrack craze dies off.

(Keep in mind I said WELL KNOWN! That's different than saying good scores.)
By static14
Yuck. I think that about sums up my thoughts on this.
By Spun out of control
@ghostfires

Good point. That said I don't mind re-scores when they add something - perhaps put a modern musical twist on an old classic - and are done lovingly and out of respect. The Hook & Pull Gang idea excited me as a concept - and it appears from these threads a lot of others were excited too. Vampyr and The Laze as spring to mind as recent examples - didn't hold as much excitement for me personally, but each to their own.
By siforster
They should get Tomahawk to rescore Footloose.
By tonyandrewgiles
I literally can't think of anything I'd like to hear less.
By philball1974
I think it's amazing how the drive score has become bigger than the movie which didn't seem to appeal to mainstream audiences.

This is clearly a bit of fun and d don't forget that radio 1s democratic is something like 16-25.

Not something I would listen to but hopefully it will get mainstream audiences more into soundtracks.
By siforster
It's an interesting idea, and if it means that Drive's going to be on the TV again then it's a good thing - the trickiest part of it will be to ensure that the music is edited sensitivelyand professionally so that it's not just parked noisily over the top of the film, otherwise it's going to sound a bit weird.

Quite how BBC3 audiences are going to cope without the usual 90 minutes of Family Guy at that time remains to be seen :)
By DISCOSUCKS...
90 mins Family Guy replaced by Drive pointless re-score = Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

By siforster
What the NME doesn't say (too busy namechecking BANDS in CAPITALS, presumably) is that there'll be a choice of viewing options - either the rescore or the original.
The Guardian hits the nail on the head though:

" It’s a pretty neat idea, even if you suspect it only came about because Zane wanted to photoshop himself onto the Drive poster, looking moody in a sports jacket."
By philball1974
For me that opening scene to the night call is cinema gold. I'll definitely tune in to see if the re score works.

The biggest problem is I think the film is a bit too cerebral for you're typical beeb3 viewer who prefer things like teenage holidays with spying parents or shit teenage drivers with spying parents.
By deathwaltz
Drive cost 15 million to make and so far has grossed around 85 million . Not too shabby.

I am all for re-scores when done tastefully and with the best of intentions but does the film that practically kickstarted a new era of shimmering synth scores need one ?
No.
I would not have chosen many of those bands to be on it either.
Still like most folks I will be tuning in to see how this is.
Interesting that Refn is chuffed about this so it means either he likes it or he hasn't seen it ;)
By zuko
For people who only listen to the first three tracks of Drive.
By DISCOSUCKS...
I'd say Refn is experimental enough of a filmmaker to give free reign/benefit of doubt to other artists.

It's not always the way. I was once involved with a band who were really keen to re-score the Czech
animated cult film Invention for Destruction. It would have been a perfect fit, believe me. But it just so
happens that on the very day we rang the Czech Institute to discuss the project, Jan Svankmejer happened
to be in London and at the Institute - he overheard the conversation, was casually asked what he thought,
and replied in really strong terms "no NO NO! There's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with the original music score!!"

The project was dead right there, dead as disco! Really pretty amusing now I look back, but wasn't at the
time! HEADLINE!! "Surrealist Animation Legend Stymies Creative Re-interpretation of Obscure Cult Classic for A Potential A New Audience!"
By DISCOSUCKS...
Which is exactly what Martinez said in a recent interview with Jonny Trunk, when trying to explain the runaway success of that soundtrack! I had to smile when he said it, cuz of course that's exactly what I was thinking, but pretty humble to hear the man himself put it out there!
By Oiche
Its someone playing a mixtape over a movie they like surely? Still, I'm not against playing with art and I'll watch out of curiosity but I'm unsure this will add anything.
Btw, like your montage Phil :D
By Dollarhyde
The idea seems good, but I have a horrible feeling in practice it will be embarrassingly awful.

On a side note however, if it in anyway increases the possibility of Refn directing a film version of jodorowsky's 'the incal' im all for it.

Refn has hinted at the idea in the past.
By Occhionero
Am I wrong or would this be the third Score for Drive? I thought Symmetry made the first score, but refn did not liked it...!?
By Dollarhyde
Amen indeed! Moebius' artwork is unparralleled.

By Dollarhyde
There is a rumoured dropped score by symmetry, which isn't thier 3xlp 'themes for an imaginary film'.
Not sure on that so please correct me if im wrong.