Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By bpwlogan
Dawn Of The Dead got me going on soundtracks when I was in high school in the 90's. I love the movie and the score is awesome. I was always into alternative rock. I would have to say SST records( Black Flag, Sonic Youth, Minutemen, Meat Puppets) was a big part of my vinyl collecting. I would use the old mail order forms. Vinyl was almost out of print at the time. The majors were pressing very little if any at all. It's hard to believe how much of a comeback it's made in the last 10 years.
By deafmetal
Nice thread here. My first vinyl purchase, age 6, with allowance money, was the Star Wars electric moog orchestra remixes. I remember bringing it to school for "sharing day" in music class, and the Cantina Band track tore the roof off. It's been years of vinyl and synthesizer worship ever since. Film scores have always held my interest, and I find it thrilling and insightful to listen to the isolated tracks. Electronic synthesis really lights a fire in my brain, and it was an easy transition from classical to Wendy Carlos for me. I had a very early love for sci-fi and horror films, and they seemed to have incredible music with lots of synthesizers. Big Trouble in Little China is still one of my favorite films ever. Also, lots of cheesy 80's soundtracks on cassette right along with all the metal at the time. Flirted with compact discs briefly, but sold my soul when I got my first Technics SL-1200MK2 in college. I have never really stopped picking up soundtracks over the years.They mix well with other musical styles, and skillful sampling can really trigger the emotions. The resurgence in vinyl is incredible to experience and share with others. The guys at my regular used record stores say, "he sure digs for the soundtracks".
By Occhionero
My first soundtrack was probably "For your eyes only" by Bill Conti. But nearly 20 years after watching "Dawn of the Dead" I bought a copy of the Goblin soundtrack at a flea market - and just hearing to that was so scary for me!

My first record ever was the 7" of Kraftwerk - Das Model. Sounds stereotype for a German kid, but its true.
By dahousen
The first soundtrack was Reservoir Dogs, score: Coppola's Dracula
By zuko
Started buying vinyl about 14-15 years ago. Racking my brain a bit, but I think the first vinyl soundtrack I picked up was probably either Lalo Schifrin – Bullitt or Air – The Virgin Suicides. When I was a kid I would listen to more compilation stuff like Trainspotting or Pulp Fiction on cassette.
By Hoodini
My first Lp was given to me by my DAD, it was an Otis Redding compilation and the first record i have bough was the Murder Squad by South Central Cartel & co, i dont recall my first OST, i Think some Lupin 3 or Goblin :)
By EdKings
My first "normal" record was Dark Side of the Moon by PinkFloyd. It was very "Hip" to have this famous record as an starting guitarist :)
The first soundtrack was Into the Wild by Eddie Vedder, such a good record. And such a wonderful movie!
The first score I ever bought was Gremlins :)
By Alekspectre
An original pressing of "The Beyond" when I was 10, bought a Wednesday in Paris 1983, and many years after, stolen by an ex-girlfriend :( with all my vinyl collection...This is the first vinyl from Fabio Frizzi which opens to me the doors of
Collecting soundtracks.
By RandomHajile
I had accumulated some random records over the years, some I inherited from my dad, though I had no way to play them. I would see occasional old-school LP versions of The Thing or Escape From New York at local stores here in Chicago, but they would be priced $50+. At the time, especially for someone who didn't have a record player, that was too rich for my blood.

Then in Oct. '13, the yearly 24 hour horror marathon I always go to at the Music Box in Chicago had a mostly horror vinyl vendor in the lobby. I strolled up to it, thinking "God, wouldn't it be amazing to find an old Prince of Darkness or other assorted Carpenter LPs?" I started thumbing through the crates... lots of cool vintage stuff like Exorcist and Alien... and then I found not only Prince of Darkness, but They Live and Halloween II, brand new with awesome new cover art!?! I didn't even know Death Waltz and Waxwork and the rest even existed. I bought Prince of Darkness on the spot. Maybe a movie or two later, I went back to the table and bought They Live and Halloween II. The rest is history. And so is my wallet.
By DISCOSUCKS...
"stolen by an ex-girlfriend"

Ahh, I know this pain all too well..... ;)

I'm sure they thought we deserved it though....right? ;)
By deafmetal
[quote=35014]"The rest is history. And so is my wallet."
[/quote]

Well said.