Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Piranhaboy
I've always been fascinated by Soundtracks. But I wanted to hear from you guys about whether there was a particular record or score that you bought that started you off on horror vinyl?

For me it was finding a copy of Evil Dead at a 2nd hand place in 1990. Joseph Loduca's score just blew my mind. ANC being a horror movie fan anyway it was like being able to own a keepsake of the film which wasn't a pricey prop or something like that. And it cost me $2 bucks. It's worth a small fortune now. I've been collecting Horror vinyl for over 20 years now and I've watched the collectors scene make prices go up and up and up. So what was your first purchase or recording that made you go, "I want more of that"
By danse macabre
I honestly hated scores when I was younger. I listed to pop soundtracks, like the awful one for The Faculty, or the Tarantino stuff, but I never really gave much thought to it until probably three or four years ago. It coincided with me developing an interest in Tangerine Dream. They acted as a bit of a gateway since they've done a lot of soundtrack work. Sorcerer, although not horror, is still probably my favorite soundtrack to this day. Naturally, I gravitated towards similar synth-heavy works from people like John Carpenter. But yeah, finding a cheap $5 vinyl copy of Sorcerer was my gateway drug. Unfortunately, my copy has definitely not gone up in value. But I wouldn't sell it anyway. It's the record I probably play the most.
By Piranhaboy
Thats cool. Tangerine Dream are great. Them and Goblin are two of the greats.I've always wanted to get TD's score to Near Dark. I reckon that would be a great one.
By Jeff
As a kid of the 80's and 90's I've always loved John Williams' and Danny Elfman's stuff. They were the first I recognized. I had some CD's back then of both their stuff but that's where it ended. Otherwise tons of metal and punk.

Then when I was a teenager I started realizing how awesome Carpenter's music was. I saw the movies as a kid but was too creeped out to pay attention I guess. Then came Goblin. I was pretty obsessed with Dawn of the Dead so of course I got pulled in by Argento's tunes.

Goblin and Carpenter got me started.

I didn't really start buying soundtrack's on vinyl until recently though. I just never thought about it honestly. I bought vinyl. I listened to soundtracks. I can't say why I didn't put the two together.

Blah blah blah Mondo's The Beyond and DW's Zombi pulled me in when they were released a while ago and Escape from NY (probably my favorite Carpenter score) sealed the deal.
By PaulZaza
my first soundtrack on vinyl was halloween from germany fpr just 2 € on ebay.
but my first soundtracks i bought in general were reservoir dogs and niatural bron killers
By carloscadaver
First soundtrack that got me going was definitely Psycho. That score was forever haunting as a child. Bernard Herrmann nailed it with those intense strings.
By deathwaltz
For me it was Star Wars , The Muppets and laurel And Hardy.
I still have all three.
By Oswarez
The very first soundtrack I bought for my own money was Elfman's Beetlejuice, a film I was obsessed with when it was released. I still have that one. One early album I got as well was Shocker but that wasn't the score but the metal songs featured in the film. I've come to dislike these types of "soundtracks", JC's Christine soundtrack being very disappointing.
By Piranhaboy
Wow. That's cool. I've still got my original copy of Star Wars as well. When I think about it Soundtracks were a big part of my growing up. Particularly John Willams 1984 A Space Odyssey Compilation. That was cool. I remember Evil Dead being the album that made soundtracks an adult obsession. Yeh ."pop" soundtracks are a bit lame. Christine especially.
Shocker would be great though. Metal and Horror go so well together. Love me a copy of Trick or Treat.
By chuck
My first soundtrack was actually the first record i ever bought. It was the Back to the Future ost... i was 6 at the time and i loved me some Huey Lewis! I dont have it anymore... it fell victim to zombie killing in my early teens...SMASH! (I hang my head in shame!) :(
By DragonZord
Well I come from an Indian background so all our soundtracks are full albums but the 1st score that got me into records was Star Wars. The clam, tension and unforgettable tunes (Cantina Song) which the london symphony orchestra brought changed soundtracks for me
By Oswarez
I found a copy of Trick Or Treat at a local flea market by chance, put my hand down randomly in the box and pulled it out. And exactly a week later I found the film on a Palace Video VHS at a thrift store. Double random score.
By tadge
Started collecting vinyl about 28 years ago, Started with synth stuff, then electro, then house ,then balearic/cosmic.Started collecting soundtracks and library LPs about 10 years ago to play back rooms of clubs. Got a collection of about 4000 records all together. First soundtrack was either EFNY or the Warriors.
By tadge
Forgot about Star Wars. Got that when I was about 7 but it didnt really start me collecting soundtracks.
By Pitch
For me it was John Barry - through the obvious James Bond entrance point, through to more obscure scores. I was also totally in awe of the Dr Who theme tune as a kid, and many BBC and other TV themes LPs led me to some great composer's film soundtracks (and eventually the whole world of Library music) - Roy Budd (Get Carter), Francis Monkman (Long Good Friday) for two. Lastly I guess that a deep love for David Lynch and Peter Greenaway films as they came out in the 80s and early 90s opened my ears to the soundtrack as something which could live independently from the picture as a coherent whole work, rather than just a great theme or track here and there.
By siforster
Does the Bright Eyes 7" count?
By kissoffboardy
I think the record that drew me into the world of soundtracks was actually a CD. I picked up a cheap copy of the Shut It! comp of library tunes used in The Sweeney TV series & that sent me to other similar comps & some of the Italian lounge/psyche/exotica stuff & then the world of Trunk records.

I also used to watch a ton of horror films when I was a kid, so I think all the DVD & blu-ray reissues from the likes of Arrow, Code Red, Odeon, Shameless etc. & immersing myself in all that again really primed me for what Death Waltz are doing now.

By Piranhaboy
Ha! Bright Eyes totally counts!!
By MODAREC
For me it was Morricone's "Fistful of Dollars" and "For A Few Dollars More" split LP I picked up for about a quid second hand. Despite the scratches I can remember being blown away by it even though I wasn't really a western fan back then. Can also remember buying "Midnight Express" purely for "The Chase", a tune I still love to this day.
By anthony m
as far as soundtracks go. it was the blood splatter zombi that got me going. and when i found there website i bought almost everything they had for sale. then i found out about mondo
By fishead
I'd always collected records... but I think the 'holy shit' moment was flipping through the week's arrivals at a used shop in the early 90's and finding a copy of Eraserhead (with the glossy photo)... that one, and Apocalypse Now!, featured regularly in my DJ sets for a while.

By the time the Dagored re-issues started appearing in shops I was pretty much hooked...
By tim28212
Mom had a copy of Doctor Zhivago she played often so that was my first introduction to soundtrack scores. I always enjoyed it and have it in my collection today. But, my first soundtrack purchase was of a movie I was obsessed with at the age of 10 and the was "Jaws". I probably went through a few copies of that one. Shortly after that was "Alien" another one of my obsessions. too young to go see the movie so I bought the soundtrack instead and played the hell out of it. So for a few years it was mostly what John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith put out. Then along came a record label called Varese Sarabande. They started to release all the great horror soundtracks and I have been going strong since. Death Waltz Records is well on their way to becoming, for me, what Varese Sarabande was back in the 80's, my soundtrack go-to label. Thank you Spence for filling a much needed gap in todays vinyl releases.
By ghostfires
Tangerine Dream's Legend soundtrack was the kick-start I needed to begin discovering the art of vinyl soundtracks. From there I went to Labyrinth, Socerer, Firestarter, and on to Halloween. I immediately fell in love with John Carpenter music on vinyl. I had always enjoyed his movies as a kid, but hearing the Halloween 2 soundtrack, and eventually Halloween III, really excited me aurally. I think within two weeks I tracked down all Halloween vinyl, The Fog, They Live, and Escape From NY. I could not get enough.

I also became obsessed with the intro horror-disco theme song to Friday The 13th part 3 at a young age, and tracked it down on a 7" at first as a teen and found a 12" a few years later.

As a young teen...I had a VHS copy or bootleg copy perhaps of Prince Of Darkness, and I would honestly turn that on at times not even to watch, but to listen to the music. I LOVED the sound of the synth and the reoccuring musical theme, even though at that age I didn't understand it.

Maybe this is what you get for having parents that allowed me to watch horror movies as a kid? Who knows!
By dumaisaudio
Years ago, before I really got into vinyl, I got a copy of The Shining for $5. I just loved the movie and the record cover looked really cool with that yellow artwork. Found out after the fact that it was never released on CD. It's a great score, I'd love to see it done up proper someday. Considering it's one of Kubrick's most famous movies, I'm surprised it hasn't been reissued. That was my first soundtrack on vinyl, though I've always enjoyed soundtracks.
By bansel
Reviving this thread...collected vinyl for years but never soundtracks. The Ravenous soundtrack was the first I bought (on CD mind you) and was obsessed. Started delving deeper and deeper after that. Still love that score