Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By philball1974
So were halfway through the year, I thought it would be good to say whats been your favourite release of this year. Lets have OST and non OST.........and a runner up!

I think the best OST release for me has to be Mondos' 'The Visitor' It just contains all the elements of a great soundtrack.

Runner up goes to Music on Vinyls reissue of 'Through a glass darkly' Absolutely stunning score on both sides.

Best non OST goes to the The recent release from Matt Berry 'Music for Insomniacs' sounds like a soundtrack, perfect blend of carpenteresque synths and ambient field recordings

Runner up goes to the magical Christina Vantzou 'No.2' another great album that could easily be a film score.

Over to you......
By Peek-a-boo
Soundtrack: Far Cry 3

Non-soundtrack: The War on Drugs - Lost in a dream

I'm hoping for great things for the rest of the year, because not much has blown me away so far...
By tonyandrewgiles
So far for me it's hands down Cannibal Ferox from OWS then followed by The Visitor from Mondo & City of the Living Dead by DW.

It's been a killer 2014 so far and still with plenty to come.
By linus
OST - All the Colors of The Dark, Bronx Warriors, Far Cry 3, Godzilla, City of the Living Dead (both Stella and DW editions)
Non OST - The Night Terrors - Spiral Vortex, Pye Corner Audio - Black Mill Tapes 3 & 4, Fennesz - Bécs.
Been a cracking, if expensive, year so far.
By DrRhythm
I'm very fond of the DW Perfume Of The Lady In Black and the Dagored Verushchka reissues.

Non OST would probably be the latest Ekoplekz album or possibly the Morgan Delt.
By ghostfires
Favorite Non-soundtrack: Melodien - Participation Mystique (http://www.discogs.com/Melodien-Partici ... se/5465223)
Runner up: Fennesz - Becs (http://www.discogs.com/Fennesz-B%C3%A9c ... se/5606903)

Favorite Reissue Non-soundtrack: Mark Banning - Journey To The Light (http://www.discogs.com/Mark-Banning-Jou ... se/5405467)
Runner Up:Tony Palkovic - Born With A Desire (http://www.discogs.com/Tony-Palkovic-Bo ... se/5441512)

Favorite Soundtrack Reissue (for the music): Goblin - Amo Non Amo

Favorite Soundtrack Reissue (for packaging): Who knows, way too many out there now...unfortunately I end up buying almost all because they look so good.

Favorite metal/noise/loudness: Wreck & Reference - Want (http://www.discogs.com/Wreck-And-Refere ... se/5769771)
Cosmic Church / Circle Of Ouroborus Split (http://www.discogs.com/Cosmic-Church-Ci ... se/5711840)

Favorite Compilation: My Love Is Underground (http://www.discogs.com/Various-My-Love- ... se/5394320)
By ninjaqutie
Wow ghostfires... way to go all out. I feel like I am at an awards show. LOL.
By Darren LD1984
Soundtracks would be:
City Of The Living Dead - It's such a rich sounding score and Frizzi's remastering is an incredible piece of work. It's a record that just fills the whole room. One of the best records DW has ever released

The Visitor - The 'Sadness Theme' motif that runs the score is one of my most whistled tunes of 2014

I haven't seen Cold In July get a mention here yet but that is one excellent score by Jeff Grace and film of the year so far for me

Non Soundtrack:

Pye Corner Audio all the way
By jdubtxn
Soundtrack - By far and away for me Cannibal Ferox from OWS. Just such a fun listen. Plenty of contenders Coraline, The Visitor, Every thing Priv4te.com has put out.

Non Soundtrack - So far I would say Tobacco Ultima II Massage and a close second would be Bad Bad Not Good 3.
By ghostfires
haha yeah I kinda got into it I guess. Oh well, I love sharing what I'm listening to! I would surmise that most of those non-soundtrack albums are ones most haven't heard of, and they probably should give them a listen...it's some damn good music!
By siforster
I'm so far behind with my soundtrack releases this year that I can't even begin. I really want to say Akira, but lovely and unique as it is, it's a bootleg so I'll have to rule it out...

As for non-soundtrack stuff, it's all a bit up in the air as there's a couple of things coming later on that I know will feature strongly (Phantom Radio being the main contender, and the Horsebeach album's just turned up), but a quick recce of the pile behind me (which means I've almost certainly forgotten something) reveals the following contenders:

The Soundcarriers - Entropicalia
Absolute, utter fun in a box. That Elijah Wood being very strange during a 12-minute jam with the bloke out of Midlake is classed as merely one of many highlights is testament to how strong this record is. Ghost Box going Pop may be a notion to horrify many, but it fits in perfectly with the label.

Sun Kil Moon - Benji
Mark Kozelek just gets better and better. Having a bit of a quiet year by his standards (just this, another live CD, a spot of bass playing on the new Desertshore record and a November disc of Christmas Carols), the quality on this is amazing. Heartbreaking too, as most of the songs on here deal with family deaths and pulls no punches in doing so.

Myriam Gendron - Not So Deep As A Well
A huge favourite of mine this year. One of those ones where it came without recommendation or foresight, it was just there when I was looking for something else (Vikesh Kapoor's "Ballad Of Willy Robbins", another corker), looking - and sounding - so old that I thought I'd come across a 1940's reissue. It's an acoustic album recorded in Myriam's bedroom, using Dorothy Parker's poetry for lyrics, and it floors me every time I hear it. Closest comparison I guess would be to Sibylle Baier. I love this record.

The Night Terrors - Spiral Vortex
Because it's so loud and mad.
By rhos
Soundtrack: Mica Levi - Under the Skin LP
Played this way more than anything else this year.

Soundtrack runner-up: Akira Ifukube - Godzilla LP

Non-soundtrack: Eccentronic Research Council - Magpie Billy & The Egg that Yolked ​(​A Study of the Northern Ape in Love) LP
Doesn't seem to get much love but it's just great.

Non-soundtrack runner-up: Mirt - Rite of Passage LP

Re-issue: John Foxx - Metamatic LP
Just one of the greatest ....

Re-issue runner-up: John Tavener - The Protecting Veil LP

By chandler75
There's already been so much goos stuff... My favorites so far:

- Christopher Komeda - Rosemary's Baby (Waxwork)

- Fabio Frizzi - Paura Nella Città Dei Morti Viventi / City Of The Living Dead (Death Waltz + Stella)

- Jozef Van Wissem / Sqürl - Only Lovers Left Alive (ATP Recordings)

- Roberto Donati - Cannibal Ferox (OWS)

I've been most surprised about these:

- Machete Kills (Music On Vinyl)

- Julio Pillado - Here Comes The Devil (Mondo)

I got Akira Ifukube - Godzilla yesterday and have already been spinning it 4-5 times, so that could end up a contender as well.
By soundtracks of fear
Amazing year for soundtracks so far - the list is endless and I can only be judged on the ones I managed to get hold of which is never enough ha!

OST

1. Far Cry 3 : Blood Dragon (Power Glove)
Runner Up - Concorde Affaire '79 (Stelvio Cipiani)

Closely followed by Creepshow, The Visitor, Cannibal Ferrox, City of the Living Dead and Forbidden world for starters

NOST

1. Celestite - (Wolves in the Throne Room )
Runner Up - To be kind (Swans) haven't got many choices really as all my purchases tend to be soundtracks now

Have to put this in to
Single/Track of the year

Wanna Fight? (Cliff Martinez)

:)