Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By siforster
No set price, as markups are determined by the store. If you click this here link it'll take you to Piccadilly Records list of stock & prices as a vague "what to expect" guide.
By chuck
@si have you seen the queue outside Piccadilly Records already? Crazy fools.
By siforster
They started at about half 2 this afternoon! What are currently being described as "wonderful examples of vinyl fans" this evening will be "eBay bastards" by lunchtime tomorrow :)
By antimax
With anything collectable, there's always surprising levels of snobbery. I personally think that the One Direction 7" is ridiculous because most One Direction fans have no use for a 7" or record, and don't even know what a record is for that matter. I'm not being snobby either, here, take a look: :D [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_vV-JRZ6E[/video]
Hahaha
By crazybeats
See there you go, you assume that One Direction fans are young kids. This is why I miss my utopia of 1995-2009. This is what scares me.This is what needs to change.

Keep Aerosmith and Bob Dylan and everything else for the other 11 months of the year, use RSD to promote NEW music with CURRENT artists, do we really need record stores full of middle aged men? Come on. Smoking their cigars with their 12th copy of Dark Side Of The Moon, oooh back in my day the boy bands were the Everly Brothers. That's the real music I tells ya!
By siforster
The 1D single does look a bit weird, but I suspect the reasons go beyond "teenage girls of Britain! Enter a record store for One Direction, leave with one of two Fairport Convention double albums and Haim's debut single - again!"... Like the Katy Perry thing a couple of RSDs ago, it's a thing that gets RSD talked about in sections of the media that wouldn't normally talk about it. Which is a good thing. The other reason is probably to wind people up, and it's doing a sterling job of that :)

It's not really being sold as a record though - the Rough Trade blurb describes it a picture disc with "never-before seen band images on both sides", so it's basically a £9 poster, so will be snapped up - somewhat ironically, by a crowd usually averse to forking out even 79p for a song. And that's got to be a nice thing for the industry as a whole? And £9 for a 7" on RSD has to be seen as quite a snip, seeing as Tenpole Tudor want 20 quid (Twenty Quid Ninety Nine New Pee to be exact!) for their reissue.
By siforster
Anyways, in less moany news - a couple of snippets of even rarer things....

As posted in the FLK thread, the "are they/aren't they?" cow-headed musical franchise have 4 copies of their Rites Of Spring dubplates available for £4.99 available: 1 in Jumbo Records Leeds, 1 in Piccadilly Records in Manchester, 1 in Rough Trade East in That London (all of which you have to ask for specific people at the counter), and one on open auction on eBay.

A Winged Victory For The Sullen (wonderful, wonderful 'band') have 5 copies of their impending Atomos VII 12" (out everywhere else on April 28, nt a good idea to give it a miss) hidden away in Vinyl Pimp in Hackney Wick (also in London). Not sure what they mean by "hidden", but it probably can't hurt to frisk the staff.

There is apparently a bonus RSD 7" in the new Pixies album. And Kim Deal has a new one of her singles out tomorrow as well. The latter isn't RSD exclusive (it's available to buy on the Rough Trade site now), but it's more exciting news than the former.
By antimax
@crazybeats , my friend, the only reason I assume this is because I watched an hour-long documentary about One Direction's fan base and I saw nothing, nothing about adults liking them. I guess I have limited knowledge regarding popstar boy bands.
By crazybeats
Up here in Glasgow there is a local band at one of the stores giving away 200 free 7" singles to people in the ques!
By Re-animated Cat
Si: is that Atomos 12" just the regular edition, but like, 9 days early? If so, I think I can wait. Great band of course, but I'd be way more excited about a new SotL album.

I'm trying to avoid the new Pixies album for as long as I can.
By liftman2013
Well it's 6.30am in Kingston and there's already woo strong in the queue! 2 years ago I got here at 8.30 and it was half the length it is now. Its def gotten bigger
By siforster
Yeah, just advance copies of the 12". Album was finished this week too and a couple of dates announced (Belgium & London) for October.
By siforster
Is there a specific point during the course of the day where Record Shops change their tune and start referring to most of "those lovely, dedicated record fans who camped out all night" as "those fleecing bastards"?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... 014&_sop=3

(for the benefit of non-UK types, it's quarter past 12 here and there's all this stuff on there already...)
By devilwidget
Well that was the quickest RSD ever. Saw a tweet at 4am already showing a huge queue at the local store, decided to leave it till later in the day. Turned up at around 1pm, queue still all the way down the street. Decided to head to a local soundtrack shop that wasn't doing RSD, walked straight in and picked up a rare (as in one of only five copies) of a short-run "lost in space" episode and soundtrack.
Record store day is a good idea, but I can't get behind queuing for upwards of six hours for the privilege of buying really quite expensive records (most singles seem to be £7-£10, albums in bog standard sleeves being sold for £30 just because they co-incide with RSD!).
Heres my idea - make two record store days. One for all the people who want to queue all night and pay £40 for a reissue of a rolling stones album they've already got, and one for people who actually like music, where they can get hold of the interesting, unusual, reasonably priced releases (Deathwaltz, Invada, etc).
I reckon the queue for the second would be a lot shorter!
By Pitch
I managed to pick up everything on my (quite long) list with one visit to Rough Trade East (London) with a 2 hour queue (not bad I thought - arrived just after 6am - got in at around 8:20), and a trip to my local cafe / music shop where I picked up the few missing releases. All done and dusted by 10:30!

Only problem is the quality of pressings - had to take back 2 copies of the Tame Impala live LP as it was off-centre, and a couple of 12" are not flat - they play fine, but not exactly what you expect with an overpriced slab of vinyl.

On soundtrack related releases - got Power Glove, Teeth Of The Sea, Terminator 2, Goblin Profondo Rosso and the Rodion GA EP.
By Re-animated Cat
Cool, the album will be essential purchase for me. :)
By bansel
@ghostfires, haha I said the same thing to my buddy today that RSD is the new Black Friday at Walmart. On RSD record collecting becomes a sport. The Detroit stores were especially insane today, and good for the stores. I waited 2 hours earlier in the morning to end up face to face with a single crate of remaining records, mostly Katy Perry picture discs. Nothing I wanted. Waited another hour at another store with same results. Finally went to a "less popular" store and scored Opeth Watershed, Last House on the Left PD, and the Bullitt soundtrack on 200gram vinyl (!).

So, it wasn't a total disaster I did walk out with some cool stuff. That said I probably won't go next year.

Btw, when did Red Bull energy drink get involved with all of this?
By ghostfires
@bansel - yes! I saw that redbull picture too. I think maybe this is becoming a bit too silly when big corporations start lining up shit like that.

I see that a lot of you guys got some great records, and that's awesome. I, on the other hand, had an awful experience...

I arrived a little over two hours early, and I was roughly around number 15 to 20 in line. Not a bad spot really. By the time the door was opened, there was at least 70-80 people in line. They had four crates of RSD titles for 12" vinyl and 2 crates for 7" RSD releases on one tiny table in the center of the store. They did not limit the number of people that entered the store (which is what did happen last year at End Of An Ear in Austin, and it was SO much better and civilized!), so as soon as the door opened - peopled started running in, trampling on others, pushing, shoving, elbowing...I mean it got fairly ugly for just trying to pick up a couple of records. There was no reason at all to have arrived early either, since you could be at the dead end of the line and still just shove your way up to the crates once the door opened.

Guys had their girlfriends or wives slip through everyone when they would push guys out of the way, then they'd start yelling at the women on what to grab. One guy that was taller than everyone just grabbed twenty or so records at a time by reaching over everyone, pulled them out of the crates so no one could touch them, and then he'd thumb through them, slam them back in a crate, and do it over again. There was no rhyme or reason to any of it. The store employees did nothing but sit behind the counter and laugh at it all. People were shouting at each other, one guy started yelling at another guy about the Cake box set because the store had only one and one guy thought he deserved it over the one that had it because he had been looking more for it he thought. It was just silly and ignorant. Very uncivil, and not fun...just a ridiculous mad dash for products.

There was nothing different here than what you see at Wal-Mart or Best Buy on Black Fridays now. I was fairly ashamed honestly to be standing there in the crowd of people pushing and shoving, and once I got hit from behind with someone's elbow - I just said fuck this, I don't care this much. I'd rather just pay a little more online and get what I want than be around people like that. In the end I purchased one single record, and that was to trade for the T2 7".

I would say my experience is exclusive to the shitty town of Jacksonville, FL, but I've already heard friends that say they had similar experiences in other cities/states. I'm sure not everyone did - I bet it was even a lot of fun in some places, but for me - this was just too much awfulness to want to return next year.

It didn't help things either when I got in, I found that they didn't have one record from OWS, DW, Numero, etc because I had emailed the owner about a month before RSD with a list of records, and just asked if he could verify that they would or would not be carrying any of these records. He responded back with saying that he had gone through my list and his vendors, and it looked like he would be receiving almost everything I asked for so I should definitely come. It was obviously a lie to just get me in the door. Pretty pathetic, I would say.

I hate to sound so negative - and I really am glad that a lot of people bought new music, supported musicians and their record labels, and most importantly that record shops were supported strongly so they can continue doing what they do. There just has a to be a different way of doing this.

Perhaps a mainstream RSD one weekend, and a more independent-focused RSD the following weekend?
By monsterworship
That sounds like a horrible experience. I waited 2 hours was about 15 people back and they let a bunch of people crowd in but eveything was spread over the store in alphabetized boxes. I was able to get everythhing i wanted. Had to self edit and put a few things back. Then i went home for a few hours for a listen. My regular store got all the DW stuff so had to wait til noon to get them. No hassles there. Pretty thankful in Pittsburgh we have at least 10 stores that participate and they are all pretty supportive of each other. I enjoy the experience.

It is also possible that the store did order all of that stuff but just didnt receive any of it due to supply. Most of our stores this week posted a list of what they got, so i didnt have to waste time with that.
By Re-animated Cat
Yuck. That sounds terrible, Ghostfires. Not to sound like a smug shit, but I had an awesome RSD. I got up at 4:00pm, sat around in my underwear for a while, ordered a couple of records online, then went down the pub. All in all a good day I think :)
By repulsion
@ghostfires Wow... horrible experience!
@Re-animated Cat Coooooool :)

I hate crowdy places and mad people like ghostfires mentioned in his experience, so I went to a small alternative book and recordshop. Showed up 30 minutes before opening and was the first customer. When the store opened we were around 20 or 30 people. Most of them were store hoppers and told me the people went berserk in the bigger stores, so my choise was right.
the store had 2 LP crates and 2 7" crates and some box sets. No soundtracks, but I was not really interested in any soundtracks. Found the stuff I was looking for (Zappa, Rival Sons, Carcass, Notwist, Ramones, Lemonheads). At home I was still thinking about the Sex Pistols box set and could not resist to order it online.
To me the RSD was a relaxed, expensive, hyped vinyl collecting experience.

By hncreature
They did it right at my store in San Diego - Opened at 10am...I got there at 7am only because I was up at 5am my usual work time...and was about 15 to 20 deep - Cool people around me...chatted up the wait time - Even had a food truck show up serving breakfast - The store was letting 3-5 in at a time as the area thinned out - They had the equivalent of 8 crates of Lps alphabetically with 1 10" crate and a 7" crate - Most people spent about 10mins digging and then paid and left - I got most of what I wanted...four DWs($26ea) and a ParaNorman($30)...how's that glow working for you?...and got a couple for a buddy who didn't get what he wanted in Cleveland and he got me the Devo Live...gotta love the time difference - No Ghostbusters...no Teeth Of The Sea but someone got one for me...no Integrity...no Dinosaur Jr...no Devo...no Bullitt - I passed on the Public Enemy because $37 was too much and had no interest in The Muppet Movie or The Wizard of Oz and Pink Panther I have an original - Only negative was some douche standing outside after he walked out telling his buddy he didn't know what it was but picked up the Ghostbusters because of all the hype he heard about it...lame - Store A got 10 copies of Ghostbusters and store B got 8...all sold out instantly - Overall good morning - Stopped by store B after 4pm and picked up some non-RSD Miles Davis Lps - Overall good experience for my 2nd RSD and I'm probably in for next year too
By flapdoodle
OOps, I seem to have started a thread... (My apologies for putting it in the wrong thread.)

Last year's RSD experience was a downer, as the prices were outrageous and a lot of stuff I was interested wasn't there, and the general chaos of the store I visited put me off even looking.

Of course, the Death Waltz Italian horror soundtracks were what I was interested in this year, especially the absolutely incredible Bronx Warriors... But with young kids there's no chance of getting out of the house early. We go to Leamington most weekends and HEAD was participating (I live in a large-ish city that doesn't have an independent record store, just a rather poor HMV - a few years back there were three or four.)

It wasn't particularly busy by the time we got in, but difficult to browse and the layout seemed to be random.

I'd pretty much given up after seeing a Sun Ra disc for 38 pounds and some 12" singles for 16 pounds, and was heading out of the shop when I saw, down at the bottom of the racks, the DW covers... And next to them a single copy of a Hawkwind LP I didn't have. They had quite a few of the DW albums.

So I picked up the HW, Bronx Warriors and Emmannuel. I couldn't find Curved Air's release. The store does a Vinyl bonus card, which gave me fifteen pounds off, so I went back and got the other DW soundtrack. They only had one copy of Curved Air but I couldn't find it and it was getting busy... Prices were 19 pounds for each album, which is what I pay for DW stuff in the same store (They usually have a fairly full collection in the soundtrack section.)

So after my moan, it turned out good this year, and I spent the afternoon hidden away from the kids and wife listening.

Afterwards, while we were sitting in a coffee shop, I was checking Facebook and Burning Shed announced they had some RSD stock in. One was the Curved Air, so I ordered it online.

My Facebook feed (Made of a lot of music lovers) seemed to have a fair few sceptics about RSD and also a few people who had got up early to get 12" singles and other limited edition stuff, a lot of which I assume had long gone by the time I got here.

The DW stuff is fantastic - fabulous artwork. But I would have bought this stuff anyway - I was waiting for the Hawkwind LP to be in stock on Amazon, but didn't realise it was a RSD release - regardless of whether it's a RSD or not - and having to splash out nearly 100 pounds in one go for all this lot in one day...

By reddye6
Here is a RSD release that you might be interested in, and it wasn't advertised in the main listings. It's from Mount Analog:

NeoTantrik w/ Suzanne Ciani + Doug Shipton DJ Set 2CS (Mount Analog x Finders Keepers RSD 2014 Exclusive)

It's Sean Canty of Demdike Stare and Andy Votel (Finders Keepers) with Ciani from a live performance from last year. Also comes with a DJ mix tape from another Finders Keepers dude. Limited to 75 and costs $16. Still in stock.

http://climbmountanalog.com/products-pa ... exclusive/
By ghostfires
@reddye6 - I saw that, and was somewhat interested. I was really more interested in the Monster Skies compiliation between Dual Planet & Finders Keepers. Anyone pick that up? Can you say if it's worth the price? It'll be around $27 with shipping to get it here from Mount Analog...