Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By tim28212
Chuggers wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:45 am I've heard good things about the Outsider. Mostly due to the show I think but I've not seem that either.

I picked up MISERY, the Shining, Cycle of the Werewolf and Revival. They'd all be rereads except for Revival. I've also been slowly accumulating the Gunslinger series. I don't think I made it past the 3rd or 4th one back then.
The Outsider was really good. I especially enjoyed it because the appearance of Holly from the Mr. Mercedes trilogy was a surprise to me. I really like that character.
By Chuggers
It's definitely on my list. I'm somewhat captivated by REVIVAL as I hear the ending is absolutely devastating
By deafmetal
inksb wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:33 am
Chuggers wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:45 am I've heard good things about the Outsider. Mostly due to the show I think but I've not seem that either.

I picked up MISERY, the Shining, Cycle of the Werewolf and Revival. They'd all be rereads except for Revival. I've also been slowly accumulating the Gunslinger series. I don't think I made it past the 3rd or 4th one back then.
The Darktower series is one I read much later and I loved the books I read (1-5), I started book 6 but it didn't grab me and I dropped it. I keep meaning to get back to it, it's been so long I'd have to restart the book entirely.
Ah, the damned tower. King even warns the reader they may not wish to completely finish the last book. During my first read through in the early 2000's, I had a strong reaction to all the meta, but going through it all again 15 years later I have some different perspectives later in life. I do not forgive SK everything of what I feel are somewhat "rushed" books 5-7/end, but compared to what happened with Robert Jordan's WoT or even George R.R. Martin and his GoT debacle, this is a better outcome. Do I say so? Yes, say true, and thankee, sai King. There are moments in this series that evoke some of the best of post-apocalyptic scifi/western/fantasy/horror themes which is where I wanted it all to shine the brightest. It's how well that mixes with King's characters and metaverse that is a delicate balance to maintain. I will give the man a lot of grace for coming so close to death that it left a huge indent at a point in time on this series like the scars I'm sure he has on his body. I find the bulk of the series to be extraordinary and the character of Roland dark and fascinating. Given the time, I would ask for 20 or 30 books in this world, but it's not going to happen. I eat up the short stories and adjacent character tie-ins. I just want to hear more.

I have also read dozens of Hideyuki Kikuchi-san's Vampire Hunter D novels digging deep for a similar post-apocalyptic scifi/western/fantasy/horror vibe. The novellas are much more pulpy, but the D protagonist comes off as a type of gunslinger albeit with magical sword, but the world setting feels quite similar.
By inksb
I've always meant to dive into the Vampire Hunter D books. I really should move that up the list of books
By deafmetal
inksb wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:56 pm I've always meant to dive into the Vampire Hunter D books. I really should move that up the list of books
If you are familiar with the anime films, the first book Vol. 1 is the basis for the original 1985 film. The third book Vol. 3 Demon Deathchase is the basis for the VHD: Bloodlust film. Good times.
By Hatter313
I’ve read a bunch of the VHD books, they’re fun, I keep picking them up to eventually keep reading but I’m well behind

I did a King reread project about ten years ago and did everything from Carrie to needful things before I started to lose steam, but of his more “recent” work I’m a huge fan of both Lisey’s Story and Duma Key, although I guess those aren’t actually recent anymore. I’m halfway through Holly though and am enjoying it.

Also I’m going to need that third Indian Lake book from SGJ asap, he’s definitely my new favorite
By Hatter313
Also Inks, those Barkers look mad good up there on those shelves :). gorgeous work on them I’d kill for built ins.
By tim28212
Diving into this again. One of my most beloved books. I have the Subteranean Press signed limited, original hardback, and paperback reissue. I think this is my 4th or 5th time reading. The last time I picked it up was 2011. Probably time to reread Swan Song also.
Attachments
PA110556.JPG
PA110556.JPG (183.87 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
By Chuggers
Man...just doing some real quick math, read this early 90's in high school. 30 something years??
By tim28212
Chuggers wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:32 pm Man...just doing some real quick math, read this early 90's in high school. 30 something years??
Yep, first published in 1991. 32 years.

But it never gets old.

Unlike myself. :)
By tim28212
static14 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:57 pm @Tim you know what they say! You're only as old as you feel you look. (is that right? :) )
I feel pretty old sometime, static. :)
By ScoJo
AA2764C3-78C5-410B-A2EE-50E5BF6E9CF8.jpeg
AA2764C3-78C5-410B-A2EE-50E5BF6E9CF8.jpeg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 967 times
I had to get it on!
By tim28212
Getting this is before the year ends.
Attachments
IMG_20231220_123207172_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231220_123207172_HDR.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 846 times
By inksb
My friend who's a huge King nerd really enjoyed Holly. She keeps telling me I need to read it and all the related books
By Bezulsqy
Nice one @Tim. Looking forward to that one as well. I believe I read all the books featuring Holly last year. Really liked her character.
By inksb
Just finished Burn You the Fuck Alive by BR Yeager. It's a decent collection of shorts and sketch ideas. A few I really liked and a few duds.

I also finished The Incal after years of saying I'm gonna read it but never do. What a great comic, Mœbius art is incredible

Now I'm on to some Barker I've had sitting on my stand for months

PSX_20240110_133705.jpg
PSX_20240110_133705.jpg (386.86 KiB) Viewed 744 times
By Chuggers
inksb wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:42 pm Just finished Burn You the Fuck Alive by BR Yeager. It's a decent collection of shorts and sketch ideas. A few I really liked and a few duds.

I also finished The Incal after years of saying I'm gonna read it but never do. What a great comic, Mœbius art is incredible

PSX_20240110_133705.jpg
That's your second Yeager in the last year plus isn't it? He seems to have a steadily growing fanbase....

I'm waiting on my physical copy of Extended Stay by Juan Martinez (started reading on a digital loan through the library/libby app but it's so hard for me to finish a 300 page novel on my phone/kindle) and so far it's pretty damn good. Also CONFESSIONS by Kanae Minato and all the Brubaker I can get my hands on
By inksb
Chuggers wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:40 am
inksb wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:42 pm Just finished Burn You the Fuck Alive by BR Yeager. It's a decent collection of shorts and sketch ideas. A few I really liked and a few duds.

PSX_20240110_133705.jpg
That's your second Yeager in the last year plus isn't it? He seems to have a steadily growing fanbase....

I'm waiting on my physical copy of Extended Stay by Juan Martinez (started reading on a digital loan through the library/libby app but it's so hard for me to finish a 300 page novel on my phone/kindle) and so far it's pretty damn good. Also CONFESSIONS by Kanae Minato and all the Brubaker I can get my hands on
Yeah I really loved Negative Space so I was excited to read more from him. The new one isn't any where near as good but being a collection of shorts it's to be expected. Plus it's a really quick read, I'm pretty slow when it comes to reading I went through the new one in about a week.

Started Weaveworld (again) last night. I am going to finish it this time.
By tim28212
I really enjoyed Weaveworld when I read it upon release. I keep saying I want to revisit it but I have so many books TBR!