Feel free to rant and rave in here, but please no slander or offensive remarks !

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
A great example of a beer made for ageing, 33.
By inksb
334578rpm wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:26 pm I've got a bottle of this from last Thanksgiving I'm going to continue to let age in the back of the fridge for a while.
Very nice. We don't get that out my way very often. I haven't had one in quite a few years.

I did have one of Founders KBS beers this winter and it was a bit too much to drink a single bottle myself but it tasted great.
By Mateo Sanboval
Buddies of mine made it at a local brewery. There wad a mighty fine The Shining edition as well.
By CrossedPete
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 2465 times
This one is real tasty it’s a Double IPA triple dry-hopped with lupulin enriched mosaic. Idaho 7 and enigma. It comes in at 9%
By inksb
Digging the labels on both of those @pete

How was the sour IPA? I've only tried a few of those and none really clicked with me
By CrossedPete
Yeah as in most things label design is so important. If I’m not too sure about the beer but the label looks cool there’s a better chance I would pick it up.

The sour IPA was ok. This was a first for me so I wasn’t sure how it was going to taste. I would say it leans more towards a sour with a hint of hops in the back end. I was hoping it was going to be the reverse with an aromatic fruity smell/taste with a hint of sour but all in all it wasn’t bad
By 334578rpm
Made it through another week. Enjoyed one of these last night. Very good.
The maple adds a bit of sweetness, but not too much. Still lets the boldness of the stout and the bourbony goodness shine through.
Attachments
PXL_20210302_220308167~2.jpg
PXL_20210302_220308167~2.jpg (961.5 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
By tim28212
since we don't have a "Now grilling" I'm gonna set this here :)
Attachments
20210313_172746.jpg
20210313_172746.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2410 times
By inksb
@tim that looks delicious. I need to order a new grill, my last one has finally given out. Hoping the weather up here turns towards the warmth in the coming weeks. We got a tease this week but dropped right back down to 30s :(

Tonight I'm enjoying one of my favorite cheap beers. Available for a few months every year.

By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:27 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:07 pm Interesting beer talk good people.
At the start of this year I had around 100 different beers in my storage. now I believe I have around 90. Most of those are Belgian sours or heavy beers. Those age mighty fine. I opened a bottle from 2001 past fall and that tasted amazing. Another bottle from 2010 also tasted brilliant.
The problem I have is that I also love IPAs and those I drink as soon as possible which means the shelf life of my beers in storage keeps on climbing. And my girlfriend doesn't like sour beers so opening a 75cl bottle to drink by myself is not something I do often.
I need to stop buying this stuff. It is getting out of hand.
Belgian beers tend to age pretty well as far as I know due to the yeast used. It will continue to change aspects of the beer as time goes on. Belgian sours I'm not as well versed in, we only get a handful around where I live and I drink them immediately. The sours I was referencing are fruit heavy sours that have been a huge boom lately in the states. Guava strawberry peach fruit, etc. loses it fresh flavors quickly
Here are some Belgian beers I have that are perfect to drink now but that also undergo a taste evolution while bottled.
On the left you have a classic Belgian sour, namely an Oude Geuze. Those are like wine. Can easily be kept for 25 years. The older they are the 'softer' they get, as in less sour. Next to it is a Oude Kriek with raspberries added. It is a fruit variant of the Oude Geuze. Absolutely love those beers.
Third beer is Stille Nacht (Silent Night) from 2017 I believe. It is amber in colour and 12% ABV. They release one every year for Christmas. I have a bottle from the last 4 years and it should be a beer that lends itself for tasting different years next to each other. I'll keep these for another 5-10 years probably before I open a couple to taste the difference between years.
The last one is a standard Belgian dark ale. A quadruple at 10% ABV. Best before date on this new bottle is 2024. But I believe they set that date at a standard of 3 years. It can be kept much longer. However my experience is that those don't taste a lot better if kept for over 5 years. It is a beautiful beer though. Similar to the more difficult to get Westvleteren.

At the moment I have around 30 large bottles (75cl) of Oude Geuze and fruit variants. Because I have so many it won't be too difficult to let a lot of them age :-)
Attachments
DB6A1A47-72F5-4AEB-88CB-8A850D553651.jpeg
DB6A1A47-72F5-4AEB-88CB-8A850D553651.jpeg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 2355 times
By Mateo Sanboval
I have to fight tooth and nail to get Cantillon here. And I'd lop off an appendage to get my hands on some Westy. And that Abt 12 is one of my desert island beers; there's always one in my fridge.
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:58 pm I have to fight tooth and nail to get Cantillon here. And I'd lop off an appendage to get my hands on some Westy. And that Abt 12 is one of my desert island beers; there's always one in my fridge.
Cantillon is also difficult over here. Next time I'll buy some extra bottles. 3 Fonteinen is excellent and I believe they also sell in the US. Those Belgian quads are probably the best kind of beer to go with roasted shelled peanuts. And/or cheese and dried sausage.
By Mateo Sanboval
We get 3 Fonteinen with some regularity. Cantillon, Tilquin, Fonteinen, and Boon are, in descending order of difficulty, tough to get. At mine, we have offerings from the latter three. I annually jockey with one or two other spots to get the only keg of Cantillon for the state. Westvleteren, as I'm sure you know, is simply not gettable. The only time those bottles made it to the United States in an official capacity is when the monks needed a new roof a few years back. Some of the best beer I've ever had.
By CrossedPete
Damn @bez those beers look great. I have a buddy that has a cellar for beers but I’m not that sophisticated. I use to love to go over there check out his collection, I hope one day soon I’ll be able to go again. Stupid Covid.

Also I picked up a couple beers from my local micro brewery one of them used Phantasm powder during the early stages of fermentation. Does anybody have some insight of what exactly Phantasm powder is? They’ve used it a couple times the first in a wine ale. Now again in a triple IPA
By Mateo Sanboval
CrossedPete wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:07 am Damn @bez those beers look great. I have a buddy that has a cellar for beers but I’m not that sophisticated. I use to love to go over there check out his collection, I hope one day soon I’ll be able to go again. Stupid Covid.

Also I picked up a couple beers from my local micro brewery one of them used Phantasm powder during the early stages of fermentation. Does anybody have some insight of what exactly Phantasm powder is? They’ve used it a couple times the first in a wine ale. Now again in a triple IPA
It's powdered, freeze dried Sauv Blanc grapes.
By CrossedPete
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:47 am
CrossedPete wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:07 am Damn @bez those beers look great. I have a buddy that has a cellar for beers but I’m not that sophisticated. I use to love to go over there check out his collection, I hope one day soon I’ll be able to go again. Stupid Covid.

It's powdered, freeze dried Sauv Blanc grapes.
This might be a dumb question and the answer might be too inside baseball but what does it actually do to the beer/process? Does it add to the flavour profile? Or is it doing something else? It seems like the brewery added it at different times during the brewing stage. I got to say though I had one of the IPAs last night it was pretty damn tasty if I do say so. I bought a couple of them so I’ll post my next one