Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
@dollar wow though, small it may be (for now hehe) there’s nothing but pure gold here.

@scojo NOES main theme is one of the main culprits that started this obsession with me, couldn’t agree more on Bernstein’s work.

Love at first bite is straight fire and a hell of a lot of fun
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:49 pm
Love at first bite is straight fire and a hell of a lot of fun
I'm on my fourth spin through 'Fly By Night' and let me tell you it is NOT GETTING ANY LESS AWESOME
By inksb
Well I just got a deal on a record I've been after for years. It's not VS but has a VS release. It's not the condition I want and it's missing an important part but the average sale price over the last two years has been around $100 plus shipping. I just got it for under $30 so I can't complain and the cover is excellent.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:22 pm Well I just got a deal on a record I've been after for years. It's not VS but has a VS release. It's not the condition I want and it's missing an important part but the average sale price over the last two years has been around $100 plus shipping. I just got it for under $30 so I can't complain and the cover is excellent.
Hell yeah.

Seven seas phantasm?
By CrossedPete
Damn @dollar those are some good ones I would love to add all of those to my collection one day. Great stuff.

I like how @static is like a vinyl Detective. You give him clues and he’ll sleuth out the answer. Based on @inks clues I think you might be right.

@scojo that Bernstein is disco is pretty catchy. I not one for disco usually but sounds great. I think all I have is the Entity for Bernstein but April Fools Day and NOES are both on the list.
By Dollarhyde
Thanks for the other Charles Bernstein recs @scojo, and I've always got time for some disco vampires ;)

NOES was my horror as a kid which is partly why I ended with those two, would like to get 2 and 3 at some point. I'm also a huge TZ fan so need to get the other volumes.

@crossef Pete I don't have all of the vols of TZ but I think I'm familer with the music from them all and would say each has their merits. However one of the great things about TZ is a lot of it was scored by either a young Goldsmith or Herrmann, there were other composer too.
V1, maybe, it has invaders by Goldsmith, walking distance by herrmann, and perchance to dream by Van cleave with some great 50s theremin like electronics.

I'm a fan of V3 which has van cleaves great paranoic score to 'a world of difference' and herrmann's magical score for 'the lonely'

Next one I hope to pick up is V4 which has the jazzy themes used on, is it something like 'man with four faces?' And also Goldsmiths amazing score for 'nervous man in a four dollar room'
By tim28212
VS collection. This will have to do till I can spread them out for better pics. This includes everything I have from Themes From Classic Science Fiction, Fantasy And Horror Films (1978) to Village of the Damned (2020).
Attachments
P2274159.JPG
P2274159.JPG (536.69 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
By ScoJo
tim28212 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:52 pm VS collection. This will have to do till I can spread them out for better pics. This includes everything I have from Themes From Classic Science Fiction, Fantasy And Horror Films (1978) to Village of the Damned (2020).
Boi-yoi-yoi-yoi-YOING!
By tim28212
CrossedPete wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:08 pm Looks great @tim how do you have them organized? Artist? Title? I keep my VS by cat #
Title, it's the only way I can find what I want. I'm seeing if I like having them seperate from the rest of my soutrack collection.
By static14
tim28212 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:52 pm VS collection. This will have to do till I can spread them out for better pics. This includes everything I have from Themes From Classic Science Fiction, Fantasy And Horror Films (1978) to Village of the Damned (2020).
Attachments
792CAEDF-BAD5-4CC9-9472-666E5C3B742E.gif
792CAEDF-BAD5-4CC9-9472-666E5C3B742E.gif (853.38 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
By deafmetal
@tim - Now that is a sight. Excellent collection. One thing I noticed when going through my collection was how easy it was to spot the Varèse Sarabande label print on the bottom of the spines on most of the titles. It looks great seeing so many of them lined up like that your shelves. When I compare this to some of these modern soundtrack labels with their upside down/sideways/backwards and constantly changing spine printing it's like night and day quality.

@Dollar/ScoJo - One thing I will add to the "What is it about VS?" discussion is just how enjoyable it was to discover seeing something that looked like a "soundtrack label" and it was releasing the best horror/scifi/fantasy scores. It was not something I picked up on early as Tim by ordering from magazines, but I started seeing that label "on all the good stuff". It also extended into the 90's when vinyl was dying off a bit and you could still walk into the CD section of any music store, and I distinctly remember doing this, I picked up a copy of the Conan The Barbarian OST on CD and flipped it over thinking "wow, who is releasing this on CD?" of course.... Varèse Sarabande. So, cool. I know Milan was doing very similar things in Europe, so this may be much more of a US-based experience, but I was finding VS albums in the stores I went to, especially secondhand vinyl.

@ScoJo - still feeling the Bern of my mistake, gonna have to pull out that Love At First Bite 12" now.
By Hatter313
tim28212 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:13 pm
CrossedPete wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:08 pm Looks great @tim how do you have them organized? Artist? Title? I keep my VS by cat #
Title, it's the only way I can find what I want. I'm seeing if I like having them seperate from the rest of my soutrack collection.
Contemplating a similar arrangement, I already separate out the new boutique labels (except morricone, carpenter, and lynch related records live in a separate unit)
By Hatter313
deafmetal wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:48 pm @tim - Now that is a sight. Excellent collection. One thing I noticed when going through my collection was how easy it was to spot the Varèse Sarabande label print on the bottom of the spines on most of the titles. It looks great seeing so many of them lined up like that your shelves. When I compare this to some of these modern soundtrack labels with their upside down/sideways/backwards and constantly changing spine printing it's like night and day quality.

@Dollar/ScoJo - One thing I will add to the "What is it about VS?" discussion is just how enjoyable it was to discover seeing something that looked like a "soundtrack label" and it was releasing the best horror/scifi/fantasy scores. It was not something I picked up on early as Tim by ordering from magazines, but I started seeing that label "on all the good stuff". It also extended into the 90's when vinyl was dying off a bit and you could still walk into the CD section of any music store, and I distinctly remember doing this, I picked up a copy of the Conan The Barbarian OST on CD and flipped it over thinking "wow, who is releasing this on CD?" of course.... Varèse Sarabande. So, cool. I know Milan was doing very similar things in Europe, so this may be much more of a US-based experience, but I was finding VS albums in the stores I went to, especially secondhand vinyl.

@ScoJo - still feeling the Bern of my mistake, gonna have to pull out that Love At First Bite 12" now.
Yeah before I made the switch to wax I already had a sizable VS CD collection. Most of the scores I bought at like FYE or something were VS
By CrossedPete
For the most part my records are organized by artist unless I have some reason to group some records up like my Cold Chillin records. I also have them broken down by genre. For soundtracks all my boutique records and VS are by category # the rest are alphabetized by title. It’s kinda a mess my wife hates it cause she can never find anything but it works for me.
By tim28212
someone mentioned CDs, everything before the Fish House is VS. I think I accidently stored some away in the closet because I know of a few titles that are missing.
Attachments
P2274181.JPG
P2274181.JPG (859.28 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:06 pm
inksb wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:22 pm Well I just got a deal on a record I've been after for years. It's not VS but has a VS release. It's not the condition I want and it's missing an important part but the average sale price over the last two years has been around $100 plus shipping. I just got it for under $30 so I can't complain and the cover is excellent.
Hell yeah.

Seven seas phantasm?

Lifeforce!
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:41 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:06 pm
Hell yeah.

Seven seas phantasm?

Lifeforce!
OH YES! Love it!
By Bezulsqy
three days in and we are at 4 pages already... i can't keep up. Because my main focus is on Japanese VS with obi I don't have a lot of VS OGs.

I appear to only have 6 old VS and 2 new VS and then there is this:
Attachments
54886FF4-7719-4BE9-B3FD-62164C842D4F.jpeg
54886FF4-7719-4BE9-B3FD-62164C842D4F.jpeg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 2789 times
4FE715B8-615A-476F-BF01-08EAAB9CDE72.jpeg
4FE715B8-615A-476F-BF01-08EAAB9CDE72.jpeg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 2791 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Bez, Is that a CD box set full of mini LP sleeves of vintage VS horror scores?

And, for God's sake please treat Mr. Collette with a bit more respect.