Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
Oh yeah it wasn’t the author doing it, I realized I wrote that weird. I was trying to track down some gaps in my Manly Wade Wellman collection and this seller (whose name I have forgotten but I’m sure would remember if I came across them) had a copy of The Valley so Low for like $30 when it was going for around $70 and frustratingly scarce (which is why I didn’t believe them when they said they had two copies and this was the second more expensive copy)

I can’t remember the second book, I think maybe it was the lost and the lurking, but nearly the same thing happened and then I realized it was the same seller, that’s when I reported them.

Eventually found both later on for better prices anyway and my Wellman FE collection is pretty damn flawless if I do say so myself for any pulp guys out there :)
By CrossedPete
@hatter some eBay sellers are the worst. This has happened to me on a couple occasions. I can remember buying Masta Ace’s first album for considerably cheaper than usually listed. I got a shipping notice but nothing. Finally when I contacted them they gave me some bullshit excuse and a refund only to relist the record the same day. Also another time I was on the hunt for a 1st edition of First Blood, I found one claiming to be a 1st edition and it was considerably cheaper. I won the auction and the guy actually did send me the book. Surprise surprise it wasn’t a 1st edition but the book club version. At least that time the guy gave me a full refund and let me keep the book so I guess that wasn’t too bad. He also shipped the book sandwiched between 2 seasons of hell on wheels for some reason.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:18 am Ugh dude i hate that. i reported one of the big book resellers on eBay for that a few years ago. They did it twice to me and after i reported they blocked me haha, which is god because i never want to accidentally do business with them again. They clearly didn't know what they had, and had a fairly rareish book for about 2/3 of what it usually went for. after a week of them not shipping it, i sent them an email and they said it must have gotten lost in the mail, refunded, five minutes later it goes back up form the same seller at the usual price.

Happened twice, same author too, and their feedback was FILLED with review of them pulling the same thing.
By Hatter313
CrossedPete wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:47 am @hatter some eBay sellers are the worst. This has happened to me on a couple occasions. I can remember buying Masta Ace’s first album for considerably cheaper than usually listed. I got a shipping notice but nothing. Finally when I contacted them they gave me some bullshit excuse and a refund only to relist the record the same day. Also another time I was on the hunt for a 1st edition of First Blood, I found one claiming to be a 1st edition and it was considerably cheaper. I won the auction and the guy actually did send me the book. Surprise surprise it wasn’t a 1st edition but the book club version. At least that time the guy gave me a full refund and let me keep the book so I guess that wasn’t too bad. He also shipped the book sandwiched between 2 seasons of hell on wheels for some reason.
People who sell book club editions thinking they are first editions drive me up the wall like you wouldn’t believe
By CrossedPete
And here’s my newer VS soundtrack releases
image.jpg
image.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 2680 times
I like to peel the hype stickers off and place them on my outer sleeves doesn’t always work out though. Anyone else do this?
By CrossedPete
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:05 am
CrossedPete wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:47 am @hatter some eBay sellers are the worst. This has happened to me on a couple occasions. I can remember buying Masta Ace’s first album for considerably cheaper than usually listed. I got a shipping notice but nothing. Finally when I contacted them they gave me some bullshit excuse and a refund only to relist the record the same day. Also another time I was on the hunt for a 1st edition of First Blood, I found one claiming to be a 1st edition and it was considerably cheaper. I won the auction and the guy actually did send me the book. Surprise surprise it wasn’t a 1st edition but the book club version. At least that time the guy gave me a full refund and let me keep the book so I guess that wasn’t too bad. He also shipped the book sandwiched between 2 seasons of hell on wheels for some reason.
People who sell book club editions thinking they are first editions drive me up the wall like you wouldn’t believe
I totally agree why not just be honest I’m sure some people out there would want it. It’s actually happened to me twice. The first time I tried to track down a 1st edition of Slaughterhouse Five for my wife for a wedding present. She was happy with it but man was I pissed when it was a book club edition.
By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:50 am
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:18 am Ugh dude i hate that. i reported one of the big book resellers on eBay for that a few years ago. They did it twice to me and after i reported they blocked me haha, which is god because i never want to accidentally do business with them again. They clearly didn't know what they had, and had a fairly rareish book for about 2/3 of what it usually went for. after a week of them not shipping it, i sent them an email and they said it must have gotten lost in the mail, refunded, five minutes later it goes back up form the same seller at the usual price.

Happened twice, same author too, and their feedback was FILLED with review of them pulling the same thing.
Nail on the head, man, this made my day. when I attempted to be a rare/used book dealer in my 20s (and was somewhat successful at it but couldn’t ever break into it enough to live) it was at least 10% because of this movie.

Maybe 20%

Ok Perhaps 30%, I’d always been a book person but it may not have been until this movie that I realized that there was really a profession in it. I was in middle school when it came out and by the time I was like 16/17 I pretty much dressed like Corso, his character and the movie itself were a big moment for me realizing (much like this hobby we all have here) that my interests were shared by other people.

Seriously, Y’all know record me, but Book Me is even more obsessive. One day I hope to own a book/record store, even if it’s my “retirement” we’ll see why the state of retail is in the new normal
By Hatter313
CrossedPete wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:05 am And here’s my newer VS soundtrack releases image.jpg I like to peel the hype stickers off and place them on my outer sleeves doesn’t always work out though. Anyone else do this?
Waiting on a few of those actually, ordered running man and shadows three weeks ago but they got slammed by the storm so still haven’t shipped
By Hatter313
deafmetal wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:40 am I heard there was a party going on here?

I’ve been waiting for you. Awesome pile!

Man I’m elevating Red Sonja higher on my priority list.

Also no one post about collecting Frizzi unless you want our man @deaf here to make you GREEN.
By ScoJo
Whadaya know - five minutes in and Hatter (Diane Keaton) /et al have turned this thread into...

81Fk+XJeJ0L._RI_.jpg
81Fk+XJeJ0L._RI_.jpg (260.49 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:13 am
Man I’m elevating Red Sonja higher on my priority list.
I've had this one on my wantlist for two years and yet to find a copy under $60 in the US.

I'm super broke this week, I had planned to grab a bunch more stuff but I have to hold off. There is a copy of Phantasm for $65 free shipping in the US. The jacket seems to be kind of beat up and has a sticker on it but that's a really cheap price. Most copies lately have been over $100.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:18 am Whadaya know - five minutes in and Hatter (Diane Keaton) /et al have turned this thread into...

81Fk+XJeJ0L._RI_.jpg
This is a horrifying poster
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:41 pm
ScoJo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:18 am Whadaya know - five minutes in and Hatter (Diane Keaton) /et al have turned this thread into...

81Fk+XJeJ0L._RI_.jpg
This is a horrifying poster
Yup!

Fun trivia - for a few years now, the delightful Mary Steenburgen has been suffering from a bizarre condition, where she hears everything as music. To cope with it she has been writing hundreds of songs - and submitting them for use in movies. I forget which film it is, but one of them was Oscar nominated!
By ScoJo
Many feels for me, finally completing the set thanks to a recent deal made for Vols 2-4 from a German seller. The music contained in these is magical to me, transporting back to my childhood staying up late discovering this show (and Outer Limits) at a highly impressionable age. They gave me a lot of sleepless nights, and a lifelong love of short format/anthology surreal fantasy/science fiction/horror allegory.
I would put these shows as the other point in my holy Bermuda triangle of Stephen King novels and EC comics/Tales from the Crypt especially.

IMG_0892.JPG
IMG_0892.JPG (2.16 MiB) Viewed 2621 times
By tim28212
ScoJo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:35 pm Many feels for me, finally completing the set thanks to a recent deal made for Vols 2-4 from a German seller. The music contained in these is magical to me, transporting back to my childhood staying up late discovering this show (and Outer Limits) at a highly impressionable age. They gave me a lot of sleepless nights, and a lifelong love of short format/anthology surreal fantasy/science fiction/horror allegory.
I would put these shows as the other point in my holy Bermuda triangle of Stephen King novels and EC comics/Tales from the Crypt especially.

IMG_0892.JPG
Congrats ScoJo, it's an awesome set!
By tim28212
Just this morning I sealed a deal with a semi-grail of mine. Overseas shipping was more than the item itself but it still came in under the limit of what I'm willing to pay for an album.
By ScoJo
tim28212 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:42 pm Just this morning I sealed a deal with a semi-grail of mine. Overseas shipping was more than the item itself but it still came in under the limit of what I'm willing to pay for an album.
Any hints Tim?

😬
By tim28212
ScoJo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:45 pm
tim28212 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:42 pm Just this morning I sealed a deal with a semi-grail of mine. Overseas shipping was more than the item itself but it still came in under the limit of what I'm willing to pay for an album.
Any hints Tim?

😬
You have it and I don't :)
By tim28212
tim28212 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:55 pm
ScoJo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:45 pm
Any hints Tim?

😬
You have it and I don't :)

Also, the re-issue just wouldn't do.
By ScoJo
I have it down to two, but your reissue comment seals it (you shitter ;)

The other one has yet to be reissued... but it's coming this year. (Long live the new vinyl!)