Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
Just stunning. I need to remember to add Carlitos way to my list.
By tim28212
ScoJo wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:45 pm I appreciate the alphabetisation @Tim, makes it easier to spot the glaring holes in your collection.

The.... glaring.... umm....

;)

(Genuinely though, are there that many titles left out there that you are actively looking for? It can't be many....)
TED 2 and Reanimator just to name 2
By CrossedPete
Wow @tim your VS collection is quite impressive, couldn’t help but notice a couple doubles in the collection. Pop quiz hotshot you have to get rid of your collection but you can keep ten titles. What are your ten? If any other centenarians want to answer please do I’m truly curious.
By tim28212
CrossedPete wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:57 am Wow @tim your VS collection is quite impressive, couldn’t help but notice a couple doubles in the collection. Pop quiz hotshot you have to get rid of your collection but you can keep ten titles. What are your ten? If any other centenarians want to answer please do I’m truly curious.
wow CP, good question. My top 10? I will have to think about this some.
By ScoJo
A recent conversation with @Bez had me completely spinning out - that feeling when you realise there is a major VS want that you didn't even realise.

I have three different LP releases of Dawn of the Dead, yet somehow didn't have the Varese - and I'd have to put that particular LP up in my top five soundtracks which hold so many feels for me, from my early years of starting out with horror films and soundtracks.

Once I realised it was missing from my collection, I immediately set about rabidly attempting to track down a copy, and wouldn't you know it turns out to be fairly thin on the ground! Eek. I was starting to think I'd have to swallow the cost of snagging one from the US, but then I lucked upon a copy with a reasonable starting bid on Ebay. And managed to get it as only bidder, for the starting price!

Turned up this morning and despite the best efforts of the fool who packaged it in bubble wrap and stiff brown paper (oh good grief) the sleeve was still in shrink and almost mint! The lp has some scuffs but nothing that looks to be too serious, going to spend the afternoon cleaning/spinning it and maybe tackling a wee Comparison Corner :D

Super happy right now!

FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1578 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1578 times

These are the other releases of the score that I have - Cinevox, Dagored and WW:

FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 1578 times
By tim28212
ScoJo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:42 am A recent conversation with @Bez had me completely spinning out - that feeling when you realise there is a major VS want that you didn't even realise.

I have three different LP releases of Dawn of the Dead, yet somehow didn't have the Varese - and I'd have to put that particular LP up in my top five soundtracks which hold so many feels for me, from my early years of starting out with horror films and soundtracks.

Once I realised it was missing from my collection, I immediately set about rabidly attempting to track down a copy, and wouldn't you know it turns out to be fairly thin on the ground! Eek. I was starting to think I'd have to swallow the cost of snagging one from the US, but then I lucked upon a copy with a reasonable starting bid on Ebay. And managed to get it as only bidder, for the starting price!

Turned up this morning and despite the best efforts of the fool who packaged it in bubble wrap and stiff brown paper (oh good grief) the sleeve was still in shrink and almost mint! The lp has some scuffs but nothing that looks to be too serious, going to spend the afternoon cleaning/spinning it and maybe tackling a wee Comparison Corner :D

Super happy right now!

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

These are the other releases of the score that I have - Cinevox, Dagored and WW:

FullSizeRender (2).jpg
AND, just in case you didn't know, you have the "Red" lettering on back cover. Which is rarer than the standard black lettering on back cover.
The red is also 140g as opposed to the stranded black 160g.

I have the more common black 160g edition.
By Hatter313
That’s been the curse of this thread, realizing VS put something out that you didn’t even think about and adding to the list. That’s a nice copy of dawn
By CrossedPete
tim28212 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:15 pm
ScoJo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:42 am A recent conversation with @Bez had me completely spinning out - that feeling when you realise there is a major VS want that you didn't even realise.

Super happy right now!

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg
AND, just in case you didn't know, you have the "Red" lettering on back cover. Which is rarer than the standard black lettering on back cover.

I never knew there were two versions. I’ll have to check mine when after work.

Congrats @scojo the VS version sounds great. I too have copies of the WW and Dagored Versions. I always really liked the cover of the Dagored version but nothing beats the iconic cover.
By tim28212
CrossedPete wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:10 pm
I never knew there were two versions. I’ll have to check mine when after work.

Congrats @scojo the VS version sounds great. I too have copies of the WW and Dagored Versions. I always really liked the cover of the Dagored version but nothing beats the iconic cover.
[/quote]

It was just brought to my attention about a year ago when I posted a spinning pic on another page and someone asked me about the lettering on mine. Up till then I was oblivious. :)
By CrossedPete
The things you learn. That’s why this feed is the best. Does anybody know any other variants on other titles? I only know one about NOTLD and the center labels. One version is green and one is the standard red colour. I’m sure there are more
By ScoJo
tim28212 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:15 pm

Super happy right now!

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

I did note that @Tim, though not sure how much 'rarer' the red lettering sleeve is/was - mine is the 1979 pressing, but there is also another Varese pressing (with red lettering on rear sleeve, year unknown) which has black labels! Wild.

https://www.discogs.com/Goblin-Dawn-Of- ... e/15091982
By tim28212
that black label is pretty cool. Quite a few variations out there for the completist. :)

Edit: I've also decided that my original black lettering is more rare since it seems like all the other editions have the red lettering. :D
By Hatter313
CrossedPete wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:38 pm The things you learn. That’s why this feed is the best. Does anybody know any other variants on other titles? I only know one about NOTLD and the center labels. One version is green and one is the standard red colour. I’m sure there are more
Phantasm has two different labels. one has the spheres faded into the red label, the other has regular silver on red VS labels
By CrossedPete
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:04 pm
CrossedPete wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:38 pm The things you learn. That’s why this feed is the best. Does anybody know any other variants on other titles? I only know one about NOTLD and the center labels. One version is green and one is the standard red colour. I’m sure there are more
Phantasm has two different labels. one has the spheres faded into the red label, the other has regular silver on red VS labels
Didn’t know that, something else I’ll have to check after work. I know you just got your copy which one do you have?
By Hatter313
CrossedPete wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:35 pm
Didn’t know that, something else I’ll have to check after work. I know you just got your copy which one do you have?
Sphere label!
By CrossedPete
Hatter313 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:50 pm
CrossedPete wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:35 pm

Sphere label!
Nice. I’m pretty sure I have the standard label but I’ll have to double check.

The score Phantasm is such a fun listen. It has to be in my top ten for sure
By Hatter313
agreed, phantsam, score and film, is one of those special properties.