Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ChrisMcQueen007
ScoJo wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:44 pm Some newbies today - heavy textured sleeves one and all

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG
Nice ones @ScoJo! I personally prefer Dracula (I really like the quite minimalist approach with the piano in the first half of the score) but both are wonderful.

I need to check out the Gabriel Yared, I absolutely love his score to Betty Blue.
By CrossedPete
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:52 pm
Also i just took a gander at my CC bill and these last few weeks got away from me so there will be NO more purchasing of ANYTHING for at least a month or two. (statement subject to change)
I’m too scared to look at mine.
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:19 pm
ScoJo wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:44 pm Some newbies today - heavy textured sleeves one and all

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG
Nice ones @ScoJo! I personally prefer Dracula (I really like the quite minimalist approach with the piano in the first half of the score) but both are wonderful.

I need to check out the Gabriel Yared, I absolutely love his score to Betty Blue.
Those Warhol’s are on my list for sure but to be honest I have no clue what Invitation au Voyage is? What type of music is it?
By ScoJo
CrossedPete wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:44 am
Also i just took a gander at my CC bill and these last few weeks got away from me so there will be NO more purchasing of ANYTHING for at least a month or two. (statement subject to change)

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

Those Warhol’s are on my list for sure but to be honest I have no clue what Invitation au Voyage is? What type of music is it?
Yared is quite a varied composer, from his 'very French' synth/rock hybrid stuff starting out in the 80s (practically defining the sound of French 80s cinema with his Betty Blue score) through to big scores for big movies in the 90s-00s like English Patient or the super jazzy Talented Mr Ripley. Invitation is a very early score to quite an odd little movie, it's got that early digital synth feel (Synclavier etc) which comes through in the composing and the sounds. It reeks of that ambience of French cinema from the era (like Eric Serra's music for films of Besson and Beniex) and for that reason I find it a fun, somewhat nostalgic listen. It reminds me a bit of some later Vangelis scores like Bitter Moon. I might not play it in mixed company though - too much context-explaining required (see above! ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJxNVaDacCs
By CrossedPete
ScoJo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:07 am
CrossedPete wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:44 am

Yared is quite a varied composer, from his 'very French' synth/rock hybrid stuff starting out in the 80s (practically defining the sound of French 80s cinema with his Betty Blue score) through to big scores for big movies in the 90s-00s like English Patient or the super jazzy Talented Mr Ripley. Invitation is a very early score to quite an odd little movie, it's got that early digital synth feel (Synclavier etc) which comes through in the composing and the sounds. It reeks of that ambience of French cinema from the era (like Eric Serra's music for films of Besson and Beniex) and for that reason I find it a fun, somewhat nostalgic listen. It reminds me a bit of some later Vangelis scores like Bitter Moon. I might not play it in mixed company though - too much context-explaining required (see above! ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJxNVaDacCs
Thanks for the breakdown I checked out the clip sounds right up my alley also curious to check out some of his other stuff
By Hatter313
Is starshipnostromo on discogs any of you guys? Seller in Canada that has a simply jaw dropping collection of VS originals for sale. Unavailable in the US right now (are there covid mail restrictions between US and Canada right now, i didn't realize?) but for any of our friends up north go check out his page, if you want it...he has it!
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:53 pm Is starshipnostromo on discogs any of you guys? Seller in Canada that has a simply jaw dropping collection of VS originals for sale. Unavailable in the US right now (are there covid mail restrictions between US and Canada right now, i didn't realize?) but for any of our friends up north go check out his page, if you want it...he has it!
Wow tons of sealed stuff too. Some of the prices seem high but it all seems to be in really good condition.
By vinyljunkie
inksb wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:22 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:53 pm Is starshipnostromo on discogs any of you guys? Seller in Canada that has a simply jaw dropping collection of VS originals for sale. Unavailable in the US right now (are there covid mail restrictions between US and Canada right now, i didn't realize?) but for any of our friends up north go check out his page, if you want it...he has it!
Wow tons of sealed stuff too. Some of the prices seem high but it all seems to be in really good condition.
yeah his prices seem very high
By Bezulsqy
The reason they appear to be unavailable is because he hasn't set the new discogs shipping policy rules. You can still order from him.
But his prices are stupid.

I suggest messaging him with an offer and see how far you can get.
By Hatter313
Ah gotcha.

Nah, too rich for my blood right now. although someone has put up phantasm on eBay for 600 so i don't know what the hell is going on...did we gamestop this thing haha?
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:22 pm Ah gotcha.

Nah, too rich for my blood right now. although someone has put up phantasm on eBay for 600 so i don't know what the hell is going on...did we gamestop this thing haha?
I've been seeing random copies of Phantasm get listed for $150-$300 for the last year or so, I just imagine it's some crazy person. Records all over the place are getting jacked up for no real reasons.

I did notice that once the few Prince of Darkness copies that were selling on ebay for $50-$75 sold, others jacked prices up to over $100
By Hatter313
Mail today, check off another 2
75EF4838-6976-4D21-B495-6F19A3A1F1DC.jpeg
75EF4838-6976-4D21-B495-6F19A3A1F1DC.jpeg (807.1 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
By Hatter313
Also i just realized that Mad Max is on a thicker cardboard stock and a shade larger than most of the other VS sleeves. anyone know if there's others on this sort of old school reverse board?
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:07 pm Also i just realized that Mad Max is on a thicker cardboard stock and a shade larger than most of the other VS sleeves. anyone know if there's others on this sort of old school reverse board?
There definitely are, though I can't think which ones off top of my head
By tim28212
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:07 pm Also i just realized that Mad Max is on a thicker cardboard stock and a shade larger than most of the other VS sleeves. anyone know if there's others on this sort of old school reverse board?
MY NOTLD is a bit oversized.
By Hatter313
tim28212 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:36 pm
MY NOTLD is a bit oversized.
Indeed! i just confirmed with mine, it is also the slightly larger and heavier card stock.
By CrossedPete
So I just check the VS records I have and it seems to me there are three different sizes of sleeves. What’s the cat # on NOTLD? I would assume it starts with VC? It’s weird my copy of Phantasm and The Dunwich Horror are both start with VC they are bigger and have a nice textured sleeve. My Dawn of the Dead also starts with VC but is slightly smaller and I mean slightly and that textured cover is replaced with more of a glossy cover. Next my EFNY starts with STV and is by far the smallest sleeve, it’s probably a centimetre shorter with a glossy cover. Here’s where it gets kinda weird the next two records I have based on the category number is the Maniac and Halloween II, both of those titles have the textured sleeve and are the same size as Phantasm and the Dunwich Horror. Not sure if it really matters though the music sounds great.
By Hatter313
CrossedPete wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:29 am
So I just check the VS records I have and it seems to me there are three different sizes of sleeves. What’s the cat # on NOTLD? I would assume it starts with VC? It’s weird my copy of Phantasm and The Dunwich Horror are both start with VC they are bigger and have a nice textured sleeve. My Dawn of the Dead also starts with VC but is slightly smaller and I mean slightly and that textured cover is replaced with more of a glossy cover. Next my EFNY starts with STV and is by far the smallest sleeve, it’s probably a centimetre shorter with a glossy cover. Here’s where it gets kinda weird the next two records I have based on the category number is the Maniac and Halloween II, both of those titles have the textured sleeve and are the same size as Phantasm and the Dunwich Horror. Not sure if it really matters though the music sounds great.
Yeah, looking through now, i don't think its catalogue number or series or even a year where they switched. probably just a project by project choice based on budget and materials available at the time.