Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Dollarhyde
I've got The Hidden and Runaway in the post following the last Tony Scott podcast.😁
Can't wait for them to arrive.

Now to watch The Hidden, and Runaway for that matter.
By CrossedPete
Bezulsqy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:41 am @CrossedPete
Your VS game is very strong :-)
Thanks @bez I just looked back and I started this Varese odyssey with 18 titles. I’m now over 40 and counting. Maybe time to do an updated pic. :)
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:48 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:33 pm
CrossedPete wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:29 am On a rare mail day/Sunday, package 2 of 4 of my recent Varese pickups showed up. I already listened to vol.1. So good
Awesome pick up! I regret not buying 2-5 when I had the chance for $10 a piece

I ended up grabbing Deadly Friend and The Alchemist (no clue if this is any good but it's Richard Band and has amazing jacket lol) from that guy we were discussing
oh excellent, i was going to bid on those but decided against it, glad they went to you!. i lost out on his They live, The Hidden, Leviathan, and The Terminator lol. hope one of those at least went to someone here.
I was the one who got Leviathan I also picked up Beastmaster, which is a movie I probably watched way too young but has always stuck with me so I’m really happy to finally pick up the soundtrack.
tim28212 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:53 pm
CrossedPete wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:29 am On a rare mail day/Sunday, package 2 of 4 of my recent Varese pickups showed up. I already listened to vol.1. So good image.jpg
The Invaders is a Goldsmith favorite of mine.
It’s so good it definitely stood out as one of my favourites so far as well :)
Bub wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:10 pm Nice ones, Pete! I've always admired how that set looks when displayed together.
Thanks @bub, I’m still missing vol.3 but now the hunt is on. I’m thinking about trying my hand at making some sort of box to keep them all together in but we’ll see how motivated I get.
ScoJo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:31 pm VSTZs?

EFFIN A!
* I believe it’s EFFIN EH! ;)
By CrossedPete
inksb wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:33 pm I ended up grabbing Deadly Friend and The Alchemist (no clue if this is any good but it's Richard Band and has amazing jacket lol) from that guy we were discussing
Congrats on getting Deadly Friend I really like that one a lot. Let me know how The Alchemist is. I haven’t seen either of the movies but I like Richard Band
By CrossedPete
The last two packages showed up today from my recent VS purchases. I’m especially excited to finally get a copy of April Fools Day. I don’t have all of Charles Bernstein’s available scores yet but I’m getting close.
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 2333 times
By ScoJo
CrossedPete wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:53 am The last two packages showed up today from my recent VS purchases. I’m especially excited to finally get a copy of April Fools Day. I don’t have all of Charles Bernstein’s available scores yet but I’m getting close. image.jpg
That is a really choice sextet, enjoy!
By inksb
Oh sorry about that April Fools Day price hike. That was me who jacked the price up on you at the last moment. Luckily I forgot the Jacob's Ladder auction because I was going to bid on that too. Glad some one got that Raw Deal, I figured @tim might have been the one to grab that.
By tim28212
inksb wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:34 pm Oh sorry about that April Fools Day price hike. That was me who jacked the price up on you at the last moment. Luckily I forgot the Jacob's Ladder auction because I was going to bid on that too. Glad some one got that Raw Deal, I figured @tim might have been the one to grab that.
something else was on my plate at the time and I couldn't do both. :)
By Bub
inksb wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:34 pm Luckily I forgot the Jacob's Ladder auction because I was going to bid on that too.
I didn't forget haha. But I'm glad it ended up on this board. Congrats on your massive haul, Pete!
By inksb
These just arrived, honestly they look unplayed. Hopefully everyone else who ordered from this guy ends up with the same condition. The only issue is they are a bit fragrant. I spun Deadly Friend last night which was quite good (track 2 is a bit tedious) and tonight I'll be spinning Alchemist, I never realized there was a different soundtrack on side B of that release for Zone Troopers. I've never seen Deadly Friend but I have the Scream Factory bluray preordered so I'll be checking it out in a few weeks time.
2021-09-22.jpg
2021-09-22.jpg (635.18 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:55 pm These just arrived, honestly they look unplayed. Hopefully everyone else who ordered from this guy ends up with the same condition. The only issue is they are a bit fragrant. I spun Deadly Friend last night which was quite good (track 2 is a bit tedious) and tonight I'll be spinning Alchemist, I never realized there was a different soundtrack on side B of that release for Zone Troopers. I've never seen Deadly Friend but I have the Scream Factory bluray preordered so I'll be checking it out in a few weeks time.

2021-09-22.jpg
nice ones! a bit fragrant, you say... can you elaborate :-)
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:18 am
inksb wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:55 pm These just arrived, honestly they look unplayed. Hopefully everyone else who ordered from this guy ends up with the same condition. The only issue is they are a bit fragrant. I spun Deadly Friend last night which was quite good (track 2 is a bit tedious) and tonight I'll be spinning Alchemist, I never realized there was a different soundtrack on side B of that release for Zone Troopers. I've never seen Deadly Friend but I have the Scream Factory bluray preordered so I'll be checking it out in a few weeks time.

2021-09-22.jpg
Musty old collection smell, except you can smell it even when their in their plastic sleeves. When I was opening the box they came in, as soon as I cut the tape and opened the first flap I could smell them. I've been told I have an overly sensitive sense of smell by my wife though lol
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:17 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:18 am

2021-09-22.jpg
Musty old collection smell, except you can smell it even when their in their plastic sleeves. When I was opening the box they came in, as soon as I cut the tape and opened the first flap I could smell them. I've been told I have an overly sensitive sense of smell by my wife though lol
haha
well I also received some records in the past with some serious nicotine or smoke smell... and I have a handmade cover from ScoJo that smells like it was drowned in chemicals :-D
By inksb
Yeah, I think it was the copy of Tangerine Dream Wavelength that I got a few months ago that I actually had to put the jacket outside for a few days to try and reduce the awful smell it had, it was a combo of old record must, mildew and smoke. It was awful
By inksb
So this copy of H2 was available for buy it now on ebay at $99.99. The photo's showed the jacket was completely split across the top, the bottom and spine had splits in the middle about 2" long. VG condition they said. The record had "spots they couldn't clean" but was marked VG+. I sent an offer of $30 with a note saying that NM copies sell for $100-$150 and that this at best was VG for the record and Poor to G condition at best for that jacket (that also has a bunch of tape and stickers on it). Obviously I expected an immediate decline, to my surprise he countered with $35. So I took the chance that the record itself wasn't in that bad of condition. It arrive yesterday and to my dismay the front of the jacket was covered in mold which you couldn't see in the photo's due to the black cover. The record also was covered in mold. I cleaned up the jacket (thankful for the gloss coat on it) and the mold was easily removed, even ran a Clorox wipe on the inside of the jacket in case there were some in there (I didn't' see any). I then gave the record a good cleaning with alcohol & water mixture & microfiber cloth to try and remove all the mold I could see. Seemed to work pretty well, after that I did my normal cleaning regime on record cleaner. After letting it dry for a bit I threw it on the table, to my surprise it sounds great. There is something embedded in the grooves during the first 5-10 seconds of the record (no idea what it is, it's a tan spot that you can see but nothing moves it) that causes some clicking but after that it's smooth sailing.

I did a quick A to B with the first pressing from Mondo, while Mondo is definitely louder, it feels more compressed and harsher. The VS seems to allow stuff to breathe a little more. This does come at a slight "cost" compared to the Mondo pressing in that there are certain things you can hear better on the Mondo, right around a minute when everything gets crazy and jumbled before the Hallween theme really starts you can hear more of whats happening in the chaos on the Mondo. I plan doing some more comparisons when I have time but figured I'd post some quick thoughts there.

By CrossedPete
That’s awesome @inks looks like you did a great job. I remember that one on eBay it sure did look rough. Great to hear it cleaned up well and that the record has minor issues. I wonder what that “tan spot” could be? Glad to hear it doesn’t affect it too much. It’s a great album to have. :)

RE: musty smell, with the recent purchases I noticed a bit of an odour but honestly nothing overwhelming and for the most part I feel it’s the plastic sleeves trapping the smells. After a quick clean I aired them out a few days and put fresh new sleeves on them and I feel it helped. I got a delivery notification so I think the last few showed up. I’ll give them a good smell test and let you know.
By static14
Initially got lost in the mail but it finally made it’s way here today! So glad to finally have this one on the shelf. :)
Attachments
472DE917-6806-44B7-AE4C-F0C52C137035.jpeg
472DE917-6806-44B7-AE4C-F0C52C137035.jpeg (467.82 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
By inksb
static14 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:18 pm Initially got lost in the mail but it finally made it’s way here today! So glad to finally have this one on the shelf. :)
Jacket looks really nice, hows the condition of the record? I never realized that there was no Varese logo on the upper left corner of this release.
By CrossedPete
Congrats on Maniac @static I love everything about that release. The art in particular is just incredible. I don’t have to many Chattaway scores yet but this one is probably my favourite.
By CrossedPete
The last of my recent pickups have arrived and they all look practically unplayed. @inks these are from the same person I believe you were referring to in a past post and I do have to admit there is definitely a perfumey smell to them but ultimately they all look really clean.
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 2093 times