Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By reddye6
Weird, I didn't get any emails from this topic about the Midnight Demon release, and I subscribe to this one. Anyway, for US folks, Two Headed Dog has this release for pre-order.
Thanks @reddye6... it sure does. Looks like 'Purple Prey' already sold out... just the 'Neon Blue' tape left...

Link below:

http://www.twoheadeddog.com/brands/SPUN ... red&page=3

Also up for pre-order at our pals Transmission and Norman Records for the early birds (and UK/Europe crowd):
http://transmissionrecords.co.uk/shop/m ... -cassette/
https://www.normanrecords.com/records/1 ... ight-demon
By inksb
reddye6 wrote:Weird, I didn't get any emails from this topic about the Midnight Demon release, and I subscribe to this one. Anyway, for US folks, Two Headed Dog has this release for pre-order.
I was in the field working today so wasn't able to check for when it went up for sale so I missed out on the one color tape but they still had the other available for purchase. I assume you use 2HD to purchase things, how is he for you on shipping? The last 3 things I've order from him he marks as shipped and then it sits for 7-14 days waiting to be picked up by USPS or more likely for him to take it to the post office. He doesn't respond to any emails, I've had issues in the past and you can't get in contact with him whether it's email, instagram or twitter. My John Carpenter Anthology LP was delivered 6 weeks after release date last year which I pre-ordered almost 2 months prior to release. I love supporting the little guy but honestly he make's it difficult sometimes.
By reddye6
inksb wrote:
reddye6 wrote:Weird, I didn't get any emails from this topic about the Midnight Demon release, and I subscribe to this one. Anyway, for US folks, Two Headed Dog has this release for pre-order.
I was in the field working today so wasn't able to check for when it went up for sale so I missed out on the one color tape but they still had the other available for purchase. I assume you use 2HD to purchase things, how is he for you on shipping? The last 3 things I've order from him he marks as shipped and then it sits for 7-14 days waiting to be picked up by USPS or more likely for him to take it to the post office. He doesn't respond to any emails, I've had issues in the past and you can't get in contact with him whether it's email, instagram or twitter. My John Carpenter Anthology LP was delivered 6 weeks after release date last year which I pre-ordered almost 2 months prior to release. I love supporting the little guy but honestly he make's it difficult sometimes.
Yeah, there are times when I sometimes have to wait for the package to get to the post office after the shipping label is printed. I think the most frustrating things that I've had to deal with are when there are issues of the albums getting to him, and he doesn't email to let you know something is late. I've ended up having to email to get an update. In the end, though, I'd say that most of what I order has come through without any real issue, and the couple of times that there were true issues, he dealt with them and my order either ended up ok or I got a full refund. And I've never had an issue with the Spun cassettes.
Thanks guys for the support.. I know THD had a premises move a couple of months back which up-ended things for a while... but hopefully that will have settled itself now.

Both tapes are now sold out at THD.... but of course we ship direct from our Bandcamp (with instant digital download to enjoy while you wait for delivery of the physical, which I love about the 'camp)... for which tapes will be up this Thurs coming (May 31st). I think postage is only a couple bucks more from the UK on a cassette. This one is worth it ;)
Attachments
Turquoise Moon Midnight Demon Spun Out Of Control.jpg
Turquoise Moon Midnight Demon Spun Out Of Control.jpg (137.46 KiB) Viewed 5146 times
By DigitalHiss
inksb wrote:
I would buy from THD a lot more if they were more reliable. Right now I've got two orders in the mail, one from March and one from April. Only after a few messages will something get through and I get an update/a tracking number.. then I wait a few weeks, message again after tracking number doesn't show any movement then it miraculously gets accepted at a post office. I've said it before - THD has an incredible selection and great prices but it is often too frustrating to order.

That said, I'll be refreshing the SOS bandcamp page the minute this Midnight Demon album comes out. The sample sounded great.
By inksb
@digitalhiss I'm glad others seem to have the same experience as me. Makes me feel better about it. I'm still waiting on my copy of Communion LP. I should have just waited an ordered from Mondo even though they are not perfect they seem to ship pretty quick.
By the light of a Turquoise Moon... tomorrow night's the night fellas, when you can order this direct from the Spun.. Bandcamp page (http://www.spunoutofcontrol.com) and receive an instant digital download with each cassette purchased.... are you going to go for the purple or the blue..?

Press release and background info as follows:

Release date: June 1st, 2018

Cinematic synth soundtrack to 1983 erotic thriller ‘Midnight Demon’ finally gets a physical release!

‘She came to feed… she’s staying to breed’. Recalling 1980s film scores by Brad Fidel and Tangerine Dream, the long lost electronic soundtrack to 1983 grindhouse ‘classic’ Midnight Demon, by short-lived LA synthesizer duo Turquoise Moon, is finally unearthed by boutique music label Spun Out Of Control.

Presented as a limited run cassette + digital release with re-worked artwork by Eric Adrian Lee and re-mastered from the original tapes by Andy Fosberry, this is the most complete version of the score, which mixes pulsating synth pads with expansive ambient soundscapes, in existence.

Choose from two coloured tape shell options: ‘Purple Prey’ or ‘Neon Blue’, each limited to 75 units each.

Re-discovering Turquoise Moon’s other-worldly score to ‘Midnight Demon’:

Turquoise Moon were an American synth duo of Terry Ferrello and Frank Heisenberg, recording and releasing music from 1981 to ‘86. The pair met in ’81 while living in Mountain View, California, and working as game developers for Atari Inc. Here they discovered a shared fascination for synthesisers and drum machines that they cracked, modified and rebuilt. Choosing the name Turquoise Moon, the duo wrote instrumental music out of Frank’s basement, which they self released on cassette via independent stores and fanzines throughout the Bay Area during 1982.

One of these rare tapes made its way to the hands of LA-based writer and director Kyle Caruso, who had cut his teeth directing commercials for the automotive and high end perfume industries and was about to embark on shooting his first feature film. That film was Midnight Demon.

Terry and Frank were invited by Kyle to move to LA in June of 1983 to compose music for the movie – an opportunity they jumped at, as the video game crash was beginning to take hold of the industry. Midnight Demon was scored in nine days using a Roland JX-3P, a Juno-60, a Jupiter 8, several cracked and unrecognisable Moogs, a Linn Drum and a Simmons SD-7 drum brain.

On the strength of the soundtrack Turquoise Moon signed to Capitol Records, for whom they recorded an album that, for reasons unknown, remains unreleased to this day. Undeterred, they resided in LA through early ’85 to write the score for Midnight Demon 2, before finally calling it quits in 1986.
Attachments
Midnight Demon Turquoise Moon soundtrack tape Spun Out Of Control copy.jpg
Midnight Demon Turquoise Moon soundtrack tape Spun Out Of Control copy.jpg (849.61 KiB) Viewed 5052 times
Sold out on cassette worldwide in 3 days the other week...but just been alerted to the fact that Glasgow's Strangevice.co.uk has put its Midnight Demon allocation of copies online... very last tapes in ltd purple or blue if anyone on Spin...still needing (download code included):

https://www.strangevice.co.uk/store/pro ... blue-shell
https://www.strangevice.co.uk/store/pro ... rple-shell

Cheers all!
Attachments
Strange Vice website Midnight Demon .jpg
Strange Vice website Midnight Demon .jpg (612.27 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
New release (tape SOS020) coming up... pre-orders from this Friday (22nd) in all the usual places (including Spun Bandcamp) - releases July 6th.

Link to Soundcloud preview here:
https://soundcloud.com/spunoutofcontrol ... t-polaroid

Dark synth album ‘Suzy Went Missing’ by Collins debuts on cassette

Don’t go in the house… unless it’s to get to a tape deck!

Limited to 150 cassettes split between pink or black shells, Spun Out Of Control presents the debut physical release of ‘Suzy Went Missing’ by synth artist ‘Collins’ (aka Gary Collins). An album of cinematic dark synth compositions that seamlessly drifts from sinister atmospherics to pulsating dance floor destroyers, that could perfectly soundtrack a film by Nicolas Winding Refn, this is sure to delight those seeking new music that constantly thrills and surprises.

Specially commissioned cover and inlay artwork by label regular Eric Adrian Lee inspired the choice of tape colours. Download card supplied with all retail copies.

Gary Collins on ‘Suzy Went Missing’:

“The vocal sample ‘I could hear them calling, the voices of the dead’, found on the opening track, set in motion the inspiration for this album. Could I process this monologue and make it sound like a voice from the ‘other side’? A missing daughter, sister, girlfriend calling out, or sending a message to loved ones still in the realm of the living?

Over a period of two years I wrote a collection of tracks. I tried to bring an aggressive and claustrophobic feel to the music, whilst using the ‘voice of the dead’ to bind the whole piece together.

With this album I wanted to continue my exploration of the dark side of human nature found on my previous releases: the fear of being along and the depths to which certain types of personality, certain types of people, can reach in order to avoid the feelings of alienation and loneliness.

Violent beings, lacking in empathy, flawed product of their nature and nature. Seemingly normal people who walk amongst us everyday, hidden beneath a veil of apparent humanity.”
Attachments
Collins Spun Out Of Control cassette front Suzy Went Missing.jpg
Collins Spun Out Of Control cassette front Suzy Went Missing.jpg (277.37 KiB) Viewed 4824 times
Sold out from us at source... big thanks to everyone who grabbed this one so, so fast!!

For anyone who slept & missed out on Suzy Went Missing by Collins direct, grab the cassette + download card at retail:
https://www.normanrecords.com/records/1 ... nt-missing

Transmission should also have some up on their site tomorrow :)
Attachments
SUzy Went Missing Collins Spun Out Of Control.jpg
SUzy Went Missing Collins Spun Out Of Control.jpg (187.8 KiB) Viewed 4648 times
Thanks @Mateo & @Deaf for the continued support - means a lot fellas! All 'Suzy Went Missing' albums have now been shipped.

In the advance of new releases, have just tidied the tape box and have the following 'warehouse finds' (copies kept back for each release in case any go missing or get damaged in transit).... if you have any gaps, fill your boots! (And your tape deck)

*Very* limited (1 or 2) of each...

https://spunoutofcontrol.bandcamp.com/merch
Attachments
Spun Out Of Control cassettes sold out.jpg
Spun Out Of Control cassettes sold out.jpg (606.14 KiB) Viewed 4572 times
Wanted you guys to be the first to know that the next two Spun... releases will be our first vinyl releases.

This is something we've been building up to over the past two years of 20+ cassette releases... and am very excited to share these with you.

(We're not stopping cassettes by the way - the vinyl releases will be a separate, complementary strand with different catalogue numbers)

A lot of great talent involved on both albums - a real team effort!

Some preview tracks are up on the Spun... Soundcloud page now:

https://soundcloud.com/spunoutofcontrol ... -aftermath
https://soundcloud.com/spunoutofcontrol ... aster-the-walk-at-night

Will have a pre-order up shortly in advance of the Sept release of both - and you should be able to find at your favourite retailers too.

Here are the basics for now:

Soundtrack to dark psychological drama ‘Sodium Party’ by Irish composer Steve Nolan is debut vinyl album release on Spun Of Out Of Control

Having released 20+ cassettes since the label’s inception in 2016, Spun Out Of Control momentarily moves from tape deck to turntable to celebrate its 2nd anniversary, releasing one of its earliest sold out tapes – the soundtrack to the film ‘Sodium Party’ – on vinyl for the first time ever.

Limited to 300 hand-numbered units on classic black wax complete with Japanese-style obi strip/band, the debut vinyl release on London label Spun Out Of Control is a film score that mixes almost industrial electronica with pretty, if haunting, piano motifs.

Though very much showcasing the epic talents of composer Steve Nolan, previously keyboardist with 90s Irish industrial electronic act InDust, fans of Angelo Badalamenti and Nine Inch Nails' musical offerings for the movies and TV work of David Lynch will also find much to savour here.

The soundtrack has been primped and polished to perfection by Steve since its initial release on cassette, with this 2018 re-master for vinyl overseen by Antony Ryan. Features specially commissioned cover and label artwork by designer Eric Adrian Lee. Download card with all retail copies. Catalogue number SOOC LP1.

Reviews for Sodium Party by Steve Nolan:

"10 out of 10...The perfect example of why certain releases are necessary on physical media" Nick Spacek, Starburst magazine

"Absolutely beautiful... we love this!!" The Damn Fine Cast

"Exceptionally rewarding..." Films On Wax (Charlie Brigden)

"Exquisite instrumental score" Forestpunk

*************************************************************************************************************************

Correlations’ cinematic dark synth sequel ‘Aftermath’ is 2nd vinyl album release on Spun Of Out Of Control

Limited to 300 hand numbered units on coloured ‘Sky Blue’ vinyl complete with Japanese-style obi strip/band, the second ever vinyl release on London label Spun Out Of Control is an album of beautifully cinematic electronica in which layers of buzzing synths weave epic earworm melodies for the listener.

‘Aftermath’ by Correlations forms the follow up to last year’s cassette release ‘Night Acquisitions’, also for Spun Out Of Control, which sold out from the label within days.

The players on ‘Aftermath’ read like a veritable who’s who of contemporary electronica and soundtrack work.

Led by Correlations’ main man Neil Hale, the album also features the playing of Pablo Clements from Toydrum, Simon James of The Simonsound and has been exclusively mastered for this vinyl release by Jon Brooks (The Advisory Circle).

Specially commissioned cover and label artwork by designer Eric Adrian Lee. Download card supplied with all retail copies. Catalogue number SOOC LP2.

If My Bloody Valentine played synths instead of guitars…
Attachments
SOOC_LP1_Digital_Cover_600.jpg
SOOC_LP1_Digital_Cover_600.jpg (289.04 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
SOOC_LP2_Digital_Cover_600.jpg
SOOC_LP2_Digital_Cover_600.jpg (445.03 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
Last edited by Spun out of control on Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.