Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By blindguy
Using my amazing powers of deduction I was able to surmise I made the top 30 (ok, I read a tweet about how many were left). Hoping I made the cut, but looking forward to the release no matter what.
By lazyben
Well this turned out pretty amazing...

Jacket in custom outer bag:
Mask 1.jpg
Mask 1.jpg (698.12 KiB) Viewed 6604 times
Diecut inside of jacket with "lenses":
Mask 2.jpg
Mask 2.jpg (648.71 KiB) Viewed 6604 times
The whole kit and caboodle:
Mask 3.jpg
Mask 3.jpg (629.45 KiB) Viewed 6604 times
Not only is the packaging completely over the top and therefore awesome but it even sounds good!

Congrats to Scott (and Nick). Hopefully this is a much deserved success.
This just arrived with me in the UK with the same bells & whistles as above (I got no.32/300) - and what an incredible labour of love. On first listen I'm liking the more approachable Larva score better as a standalone listen.... but the original on the first disk has its own 'far out' charm.

The magenta & cyan LPs without centre labels was a real stroke of inspiration, given the 3D presentation of the movie. If anyone is considering buying this but hasn't, I'd advise jumping on it.
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote:Just waiting for that package to creep slowly across the US. Very much looking forward to cracking it open.
Can't wait to hear what you think bud!
By ScoJo
MODAREC wrote:Hi guys

Long shot but any copies left of the initial 75 (with the extras)?
Hi @MODAREC, the last of those literally went off the shelf today - but please don't let that put you off is! Honestly - the additional lobby cards we added are a nice extra, but without them this package is still 100% nuts ;)
By deafmetal
Put the mask on now!
Floored by the quality of the presentation right out of the box. Some great design choices with the printed mylar sleeve giving some visual depth effect to the text/graphics. I had a big smile upon opening the gatefold LP and seeing the love for the anaglyhpic 3D era readily shown. I was not familiar with this film or score at all until hearing about from @ScoJo, and I find it all to be very interesting. The quality liner notes are further helping with this. I am a big fan of experimental ambient/noise music such as George Anthiel, and artists like Merzbow. Early electronic music experimentation is so free-form and unbound by any modern rules of construction. I find this hitting like a cannonball into that pool of experimental sound, and it has my full attention. I will be checking out the film as soon as possible.

Regarding the Larvae live re-score, I am already wishing I would have been able to see it live (of course), but I find the recording to be much more thick, dark, and "complete" than the original score with some excellent sound development. While the original is a bit more discombobulating overall, which is a compliment, I find it puts me in almost a hypnotized state. Larvae on the other hand has me nodding my head, almost like we are moving at various speeds on a psychedelic train ride...

Cheers, Scott, incredible first release for your new label.
By Aremagod
Received mine yesterday and it was a marvelous package. Not going to post any pictures as @lazyben's pictures sum up the package. #74 so I guess I just squeaked in for the bonus goodies. Will be listening to it tonight or tomorrow when I get some free time to listen to the 50 or so albums in my TO LISTEN pile.
By ScoJo
@deaf - great to hear your response to the music as well as the design, it's reactions like yours that make the project seem truly worthwhile. Huge thanks for the support chap! Keep on takin' that psychedelic ride......

(I shall be posting some links at some point, btw, to videos of our own score re-sync'd to the original film sequences.)
By ScoJo
A quick heads up - we've reduced international shipping on The Mask for the holiday period. Also, we're carrying the DVD/Blu-ray in stock now, in case you haven't yet seen this psychotronic cult classic. The DVD comes with a replica Mystic Mask Viewer!

There's an excellent review of the film/blu-ray here:

http://www.fthismovie.net/2015/12/the-o ... -1961.html
Attachments
MagicMysticMask.jpeg
MagicMysticMask.jpeg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
By texasvinyl
Nice! It's a lovely package, and I already put a track from the rescore in a little "odd mix"

I am curious, why is the center hole so big? I did see the note about that during checkout but don't really understand what the disc color has to do with the center hole size
By ScoJo
Hi @texas - it's not to do with colour wax, it's that we had the pressing without labels. I didn't know myself until it came to handing our design over, but the labels themselves contribute to a tighter centre hole, by a very small (yet noticeable!) amount.
Last edited by ScoJo on Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ScoJo
@deaf @texas @sonny - thanks for the props guys. We definitely took a chance with the wax pressing, and believe me I've had some sleepless nights! But on the whole it doesn't seem to be overly affecting people's fun with the release. We were pretty up front with this limited version being as much about being an "art" object, as the "sounds" ;)
Last edited by ScoJo on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.