Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By NMA
Anybody picked up a copy of John Carpenter - "The Fog" Silva Screen reissue and gave a spin?

Do you think is it worth double-dipping?

I already own DWR reissue and I am über-happy with it.
By tim28212
NMA wrote:Anybody picked up a copy of John Carpenter - "The Fog" Silva Screen reissue and gave a spin?

Do you think is it worth double-dipping?

I already own DWR reissue and I am über-happy with it.
I have the DW haze edition and I'm considering getting the new Silva release. TG said it was much quieter. I'm just wondering if it's limited or if there will be a black vinyl edition after the color sells out.
By NMA
tim28212 wrote: I have the DW haze edition and I'm considering getting the new Silva release. TG said it was much quieter. I'm just wondering if it's limited or if there will be a black vinyl edition after the color sells out.
I have the black DWR release and I am very happy with the sound quality.

So, tracklist-wise and mastering-wise, this Silva Screen is the same. I guess I'll just pass, then ;)
By Mateo Sanboval
NMA wrote:
tim28212 wrote: I have the DW haze edition and I'm considering getting the new Silva release. TG said it was much quieter. I'm just wondering if it's limited or if there will be a black vinyl edition after the color sells out.
I have the black DWR release and I am very happy with the sound quality.

So, tracklist-wise and mastering-wise, this Silva Screen is the same. I guess I'll just pass, then ;)
While the music is the same, the track order is different. If memory serves, the DWRC version contained unreleased cues on the second LP. I'm thinking the Silva Screen edition presents all the (original) music chronologically. This is an assumption though and I would love folks' input here.

I am also curious on opinions of the Silva Screen release of Escape From New York expanded OST specifically about how much of the expanded bits is new music as opposed to dialogue? Anyone have this yet?
By chiefbrody
@Mateo, re: EFNY, I think @Spencer confirmed at the time that the only additional material was dialogue, as on the Silva expanded CD. The only potential selling points may be sound quality of black vinyl and being cut at 45rpm.

I can't confirm re: The Fog LP, but the Silva CD isn't sequenced in chronological order, from what I recall.
By Mateo Sanboval
chiefbrody wrote:@Mateo, re: EFNY, I think @Spencer confirmed at the time that the only additional material was dialogue, as on the Silva expanded CD. The only potential selling points may be sound quality of black vinyl and being cut at 45rpm.

I can't confirm re: The Fog LP, but the Silva CD isn't sequenced in chronological order, from what I recall.
Thanks for chiming in, Chief. I didn't know that Spencer had commented on this release; perhaps I should've dug a little deeper. That info jibes with what I found when I realized that dialogue track titles were in quotations (Christ, I'm thick) on Discogs.

The Fog is the release that I still haven't cracked. The DWRC version http://www.discogs.com/John-Carpenter-T ... se/4646019 has the exact same track order as the Silva Screen 2 CD edition http://www.discogs.com/John-Carpenter-T ... se/5860754. However, the SS 2xLP http://www.discogs.com/John-Carpenter-T ... se/7827174 release appears to have the same tracks in a different order even though some sites, like LITA for example, describe it has having the "newly discovered" cuts on the second LP as did the aforementioned DWRC and SS CD releases. Of course, aside from clearing this up, I'm also interested in hearing anyone's opinion on fidelity as well.
By chiefbrody
@mateo, I can't help with fidelity comments, but I've been happy with my Blake's Gold DWRC version, and the Silva CD. I'm not triple-dipping, even though it's probably my favourite Carpenter score.

I think the only difference in the Silva CD and LP, apart from an interview with JLC on the CD, is that the CD puts the 2000 remaster as disc 1, and the 1980 score as disc 2. It's the opposite for the LP.

It's also the opposite (80 then 00) on the DWRC release, but it's missing the following tracks (I think):
Attachments
2016-02-07 07.32.44.png
2016-02-07 07.32.44.png (50.28 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
By Mateo Sanboval
chiefbrody wrote:@mateo, I can't help with fidelity comments, but I've been happy with my Blake's Gold DWRC version, and the Silva CD. I'm not triple-dipping, even though it's probably my favourite Carpenter score.

I think the only difference in the Silva CD and LP, apart from an interview with JLC on the CD, is that the CD puts the 2000 remaster as disc 1, and the 1980 score as disc 2. It's the opposite for the LP.

It's also the opposite (80 then 00) on the DWRC release, but it's missing the following tracks (I think):
By gum, you nailed it, Chief. They have the same tracks, but as you've stated they are reversed from one another. My librarian Mother's eternal shame of my shoddy research skills aside, I can now rest easy knowing my DWRC editions are as complete as there are out there (excepting dialogue and interviews).
By reddye6
LITA has the High Rise score available for pre-order. LINK