Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By phantomnoir

Four Flies is back with 2 new releases:

SANDRO BRUGNOLINI - FANTABULOUS

Ltd. Ed. 500 copies LP 180gr + 7” bonus
remastered from the original master tapes
originally released on BEAT LP 002 (1968)

LALLO GORI - COME SVALIGIAMMO LA BANCA D’ITALIA

Ltd. Ed. 500 copies LP 180gr
remastered from the original master tapes
First Press
By texasvinyl
Cool, the last two were good titles. I do feel like there is a price/quality issue so far; these were very basic releases for $38 each- standard direct board jacket, no insert, no liner notes, black vinyl. In contrast releases from AMS have been gatefolds with inserts, color vinyl, deluxe inner sleeve, detailed liner notes etc and for significantly less $$.
By Volzom Zofbie
Hugging the two new Four Flies to pieces. 'Come Svaligiammo' has tons of delicious scat all over it, and the Sandro Brugnolini is a cool mix of spy-jazz and different versions of that wonderful hit 'Fantabulous' including the extra 7". Highly recommended.
Attachments
IMG_0050.JPG
(Hmmm... normal upload through imgur suddenly doesn't seem to work for me any longer!)
IMG_0050.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 13947 times
By deafmetal
Great music so far, and incredible to be able to own a reissue of these impossible-to-find titles like Laure. I have to second @texasvinyl's question though, what's up with the pricing? If there is information that the licensing is really expensive that would be good to know, otherwise they seem to be a bit overpriced for the overall package quality being offered. At the end of the day, I probably will pay $40 USD for a rare Brugnolini reissue, but I'm just curious why they are almost double the price of other reissue labels.
By Volzom Zofbie
deafmetal wrote:Great music so far, and incredible to be able to own a reissue of these impossible-to-find titles like Laure. I have to second @texasvinyl's question though, what's up with the pricing? If there is information that the licensing is really expensive that would be good to know, otherwise they seem to be a bit overpriced for the overall package quality being offered. At the end of the day, I probably will pay $40 USD for a rare Brugnolini reissue, but I'm just curious why they are almost double the price of other reissue labels.
I dunno about the pricing. Is it really that horrible? Here in Europe Contempo's are just as steep, but from what I've heard on here Contempo has very poor sound quality. These are killers! That Sandro Brugnolini!
By NathanLurker
They're not SO expensive but still, I had to pay 50$ CAD for each of Laure and La Poliziotta, that's the cheapest I could find, to import here in Canada, it's a single sleeve, no insert, it's not exactly cheap if you compare to a lot of other single LP releases on the market. But if you compare with other library music or Italian psych funk soudntrack or other similar releases, the new Sonor music releases end up being the same price, (their sleeves are a bit nicer though, at least Centrale Investigation is) and Cinedelic is also similar in price (Metralleta Stein costed 45$CAD).

I'm gonna pick up the two new releases for sure, I'm interested in seeing the growth of this label, it's all new stuff to me, these rare italian limited releases.
By texasvinyl
I can get Contempos here for like $18-20. Most of the AMS, Dagored, & Sonor Music Editions are $25. Cindelic have been generally the same with some exceptions for variants and special releases.

Look at the quality a label like Beat Ball/ LITA can put out for something like Colpo Rovente. For $18 they had a top notch title, great pressing on color wax, high quality heavy jacket, poly-lined inner sleeve, and an OBI.
By NathanLurker
those prices are before shipping, @texas ? 25 USD is about 33.34$CAD

Maybe it's the shipping cost that's killing me

Dagoreds I can get for 25 to 33 CAD usually so, similar to your prices. same for Lita's shogun assassin, 25. good prices.
By Mateo Sanboval
texasvinyl wrote:I can get Contempos here for like $18-20. Most of the AMS, Dagored, & Sonor Music Editions are $25. Cindelic have been generally the same with some exceptions for variants and special releases.

Look at the quality a label like Beat Ball/ LITA can put out for something like Colpo Rovente. For $18 they had a top notch title, great pressing on color wax, high quality heavy jacket, poly-lined inner sleeve, and an OBI.
Odd that some Eastern Bloc Bot would draw my eye to this thread. I already touched on this in general in response to your newer post in the New Release thread, but specific to Four Flies, I believe it is their shipping that pushes up the price in large. I checked out their Bandcamp page and it cost 27euros to ship 52euros worth of records. That's way off. Even if the stores here Stateside are getting a better deal on shipping, they still have to mark up for their own profit. Hence the $35 price tag. Both Sonor and Cinedelic have similar pricepoints, but significantly lower shipping rates. Just a guess on my part and if you want to argue the validity of their starting price, you could probably make a good case, but I don't know enough about their label or licenses to take a stab at that.
By texasvinyl
Ok I got the two Four Flies comps in the mail today. The prices were $6 less than before - $32.99, gatefold, includes CD. Both are in stock at dustygroove.

There are lots and lots of Italian comps lately (and previously!), but these are really top notch. Most tracks are previously unreleased, and I think Pierpaolo did a great job on these two (Esterno Giorno and Esterno Notte). Two thumbs up from me.

I didn't realize he was the one behind the four flies label; I've bought some killer OG Italian stuff from him!
By phantomnoir
Holy fucking shit!!!!!!

Four Flies is doing Zoo Folle.

Finally, after a long and arduous work of research, we're very thrilled and honored to announce our new release FLIES 07, a real holy grail for the whole italian soundtracks scene: ZOO FOLLE by M° Giuliano SORGINI will be released on April 16th in a special limited edition LP 180gr, remastered from the ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES, including exclusive liner notes written & signed by M° Sorgini himself.
One of the most sought-after LP of the 70s will soon come to life, again.
Four Flies strikes back.

By deafmetal
@Phantom - so stoked for the reissue. I often look longingly at the copies asking $1k+ euro on discogs.
By Mateo Sanboval
Yup. Same. Great news all 'round.
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By texasvinyl
All three are killer. The Green Birds record is quite rare, the last copy I saw was €700. One of the tracks was in the Speedball Experience comp. Ordering via Two Headed Dog will save you $10 versus ordering from the labels bandcamp.
By deafmetal
@texas - I have been listening to The Green Birds sample tracks and it sounds killer. As the write-up mentions, very similar in vibe to The Braen Machine's Underground album, which I love.
By Mateo Sanboval
Also in on The Green Birds. Great sounds. Zoo Folle is a no brainer as well. On the fence about Urbanistica. It's nice, but I don't think I'd spin it much.
By NathanLurker
Did anyone else have a problem with their Sortilegio ? My copy came up with marks on it, as if there had been a pressure on it, and it made the needle jump, creating skips, or it would distort the audio. I had a replacement copy sent to me, and same trouble. Got it from Juno, I think they might have received a batch that got damaged in transit. waiting for my second replacement now
By texasvinyl
Not with that one if I remember. Weird that it was on more than one copy. That's a great release though, none of the low output/poor sound issues like zoo Folle and sangue di sbirro have...
By NathanLurker
Well talking about Sangue... I just received it in the mail, bought from importcds. Same scrubbing marks on the disc :( Not as bas as the ones I had on Sortilegio, but bad enough to create strong surface noise.
I'm pretty sure importCDs won't just send a replacement, they'll probably do a return and refund, and ask me to submit another order. Which is a slight annoyance 'cause I'll have to package it and go to the post office. it's fine, not that big of a deal, but juno just sent me a replacement without asking for a return.

So weird that I got the same trouble from two four flies releases, from two different sellers.