Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By SPACELAB9
Cheers to Seb at One Way Static, Josh at LITA and others who have been most gracious in welcoming us into the fold.

Without further ado... SL9 launched last Tuesday, November 26th with the release of the Double LP Picture Disc version of the score to Breaking Bad. We return again tomorrow, December 3rd, with the release of the Picture Disc LP version of the soundtrack to AMC's The Walking Dead vol.1, both exclusively available at Hot Topic.

For those of you not interested in Picture Discs, "standard" versions of both Breaking Bad and Walking Dead are awaiting formal street dates but tentatively scheduled for late February, 2014. Both will be packaged in full-color gatefold jackets with full-color inner bags, and an 18" x 24" poster. Colored vinyl variations TBA. More to come...

Please follow us on Twitter @SPACELAB9 for the latest updates, news and web-store exclusive offers.
By lazyben
No idea on the quality of your releases but there's no way in hell I'm buying anything from that hot topic website. I'm embarrassed even to have looked at it.

You might want to consider your retail partners a little more carefully...
By ghostfires
From all the trendy hipsters I see walking around with tshirts, phone covers, random accessories, costumes, etc. for both Walking Dead and Breaking Bad...I think Spacelab chose fairly well.

I don't shop there, but I don't watch either one of those shows either - so I truly don't care any which way....but I don't see how it was a bad business decision at all to launch their picture disc vinyl in a retail chain that sells to hipsters and their parents alike!

Is it more hipster to dislike hot topic though? hah...who knows. I don't see the issue here...
By legnadibrom
hot topics have been a staple of malls across america for what? 15 years+?
i wouldn't attack the guy for getting his first releases into a mall in every major city in the US&A
By seb
Welcome on board Spacelab9.
Looking forward to your future offerings.

European cats who don't have a Hot Topic might want to start a vinyl buddies thread for this.

I have never seen/been in Hot Topic store, I only know it from South Park, lol.
Let's make it about the releases, not the store. After all Death Waltz and Waxwork have been spotted at Urban Outfitters ;-)

Seb
By SPACELAB9
Thanks for the feedback. Now please elaborate... beside whatever personal issue you have with Hot Topic, what exactly makes them a poor choice of retail partners?
By lazyben
Only a small subset of potential buyers will be visiting your chosen partner. That's why they're a poor choice.

I don't have a personal issue with hot topic. I live in the US and I'd never heard of them (they're certainly not in any mall near me) until a prior thread mentioned your stuff a couple of days ago.

However their website is hideous and the vinyl is hidden away in the t-shirt section on the website so it's obviously an afterthought. The other thread mentioned obscene shipping costs.

I personally prefer to support record stores rather than clothes shops (or coffee shops or grocery stores) which are selling records because they're currently fashionable and will drop them as soon as something else becomes more hip. How you can be a record label and ignore record shops is beyond me (and before you decide this is personal again I don't own or work in a record shop either).
By Re-animated Cat
@spacelab: welcome! Looking forward to the non-picture disc versions of these and interested to see what colour variants you'll go for.

We discussed the Breaking Bad pic disc on another thread. The main reason people hate Hot Topic is because of their INSANE international shipping costs. Really, it's quite obvious they're trying to make a profit on shipping. Either that or they simply don't have a clue what they're doing. This makes it very unappealing for non-US customers to get these records, so I suggest you bear that in mind when choosing your retail partners in the future.

Also, a quick question: will the February versions be distributed internationally? And will that include all variants? Thanks :)

By SPACELAB9
Thanks to all for the feedback and the welcomes!

@lazyben: To address your points in order; The Breaking Bad exclusive double picture disc edition was limited to 2,000 copies and HT summarily distributed nearly all 2000 of them into the hands of fans within days. Very few, if any other retailers could achieve that feat as efficiently. Did everyone who wanted one get one? Of course not. Breaking Bad has fans numbering in the millions. Would everyone who wanted one have gotten one if they had been distributed directly to the public by us or by any other retailer(s) for that matter? Of course not.

We've heard the first complaint before, however this is the first that anyone has complained about the aesthetics of their website as far as I know. Again, sounds like a personal gripe. As far as the records being difficult to find on their site, simply typing "walking dead lp" in the search box at the top of their store brings the item up within seconds.

Now, in terms of supporting independent record stores, we are in agreement. I personally have been supporting independent record stores since I began collecting vinyl in the mid-1980's, having spent untold thousands of my hard earned dollars in mom & pops across this country and overseas over the years, as have some of the other people involved with this label. I work for a company that has supported independent record shops for close to 19 years. We are working on some releases in support of Record Store Day and are going to be releasing non-picture disc versions of these records that will be available to any independent stores that would care to stock them. This was clearly stated in our opening post. And guess what? Despite that fact, there will likely be some people who want a copy and aren't able to find one. Same as with any other in-demand vinyl release. So yes, whatever your true gripe is, I do believe that it is personal. You should be more careful to check your facts before casting aspersions. Check and mate.

@Re-animated cat: Thank you very much! We truly appreciate your warm welcome. That is a completely understandable regarding international shipping rates and we appreciate you making us aware of the issue. With that in mind, we are doing our best to make sure that these titles will be as widely available and easy to find internationally as possible. As we get closer to street date for both, we will post here with updates on international availability. Cheers!
By lazyben
Why are you determined to claim I have a personal grudge? I had never heard of hot topic until this week. I'm not interested in soundtracks of breaking bad or the living dead. I'm an entirely disinterested party in this case.

Thought you might like some feedback. Apparently you aren't interested. C'est la vie.

Oh, and you never mentioned record shops once until I did.
By SPACELAB9
Feedback, yes. Sarcastic condemnation, no thanks. Agree to disagree. Have a nice life.
By thedeepness
@ SPACELAB9 - I just started working at a small independent record store and they going to let me pick some of the vinyl inventory starting after the new year. One of things they don't really carry is any new soundtracks, which I plan to change. Can you shoot me an email to discuss the store stocking these first 2 releases when they come out. Thanks, Jeremiah
thedeepness@yahoo.com
By antimax
I'm personally going to pass on the picture discs, but I look forward to buying your non-picture disc release of Breaking Bad in the future! I look forward to seeing what else you guys release. I'll agree that Hot Topic is a strange place to exclusively release an LP, but really, I don't care, at all, ha...
By bansel
I received my Breaking Bad PD's today and think it looks and sounds amazing. As a fan of the show and vinyl collector I love this. First of all gatefold picture discs is pretty unique and in terms of sound quality for picture discs these sound remarkably great! I could give a shit where I had to buy it from, the price was right on. No complaints here. Looking forward to Walking Dead! Great job to spacelab9 and to All Welcome for alerting me on Facebook about these releases.

By carloscadaver
I'm curious, who owns / runs this label? Where are you based, etc.?
By seb
@monthofmacabre. From your town if I'm not mistaking? LA
By deathwaltz
Welcome guys .

You don't have to answer this of course but I am assuming you are funded by a major yes ?

Not that it matters I am just curious.

I personally thing Hot Topic is a pretty horrible store but then I am old ;) but hell if they are shifting units like that for you then I do not blame you really.

We sell to urban outfitters sometimes but most of there shops in the UK have a vinyl section and they have been selling music for years but i would never give them an exclusive as they dont support us as much a record stores.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with in the coming months.
By bansel
The record itself is marked Madison Gate Records as well as Spacelab9.

Madison Gate Records is an American record label owned by Sony Pictures Entertainment, specializing in soundtracks and other recordings derived from films, television programs and other entertainment media. Source: Wikipedia

By bansel
From their press release I gather Spacelab9 is the imprint that will handle pop culture items for Sony Pictures Entertainment. If I am incorrect, forgive me.
By Jode_Steele
Hi Spacelab9,

I'm looking forward to grabbing both your upcoming "The Walking Dead" & "Breaking Bad" releases. The latter just has to be blue sky coloured vinyl, right? :D

Can't wait to hear about your future releases too.

By SPACELAB9

AMC’s THE WALKING DEAD DELUXE VINYL EDITION COMES TO LIFE APRIL 15th

Descending from the cosmos to make their planet earth debut during December 2013, record label and pop-culture provocateurs SPACELAB9 prepare for their official launch on April 15th with the release of the deluxe edition vinyl LP for the official soundtrack to multi-award winning fan-favorite drama series THE WALKING DEAD. The deluxe edition LP is packaged in a full color gatefold jacket and heavy card stock inner bag featuring images from the hit TV series. First pressing also includes a bonus 18” x 24” full color poster.

Limited editions of both “Black Smoke” and “Blood Red” colored vinyl will be available in stores while supplies last. For die-hard fans, a limited run of only 200 numbered “Zombie Flesh Green” vinyl copies will be available exclusively from the label’s web store and for early birds, a very limited edition of zombie turntable slipmats featuring original gore-tesque artwork by artist Travis Pitts will also be available during the pre-sale which begins Tuesday, April 1st at SPACELAB9.COM.

Released by Universal Republic Records on CD and digital album followed by a now sold-out run of Picture Disc LPs by SPACELAB9, AMC’s THE WALKING DEAD: Official Soundtrack Vol.1 makes its full-blown vinyl debut on April 15th featuring tracks from composer Bear McCreary and artists Jamie N. Commons, Voxhaul Broadcast, Baby Bee, Fink, Lauren Cohan (Maggie Greene) & Emily Kinney (Beth Greene) as well as multiplatinum Icelandic artists Of Monsters and Men.

Visit SPACELAB9.COM to join the email list and stay connected for the latest news and updates by following us on Facebook and Twitter. Be the first on your block to have the inside scoop on SPACELAB9 pre-release photos, giveaways, exclusive offers and a whole lot more.
By Jode_Steele
As this is a 'licensed music from the show' release, I was wondering if there are any plans for an 'original score' type release? Vol. 2 perhaps? :)
By 4000days
I would have loved to have ordered this, but the site has been screwing me over for the past 40 minutes and I have my real life to attend to. Bummer.