Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Cadabra Records
Hello everyone. I would first off like to thank Spencer, Seb, and everyone involved with this board for pulling together such a great community of like minded vinyl fanatics.

I have something new to offer. Cadabra Records is a label which specializes exclusively in dark words.

Sales begin for our first LP, Lee Brown Coye | Where Is Abby? & Other Tales, read by Robert Coye July 30th. This will be in our hands mid August and will ship out by months end.

I will assume most are not familiar with Lee Brown Coye. Over the coming days I will post some very cool info on why this release is unique and a must have.

We will also offer a very limited subscription (only 80 spots), which will include three titles by Lee Brown Coye. The 3rd is a 4 x 7" box set with a 16 page booklet which promises to be the ultimate Halloween record. Other goodies will be included in the package, more info in the coming days.

Near Autumn we will unleash the first in a series of the definitive H.P. Lovecraft library. The voice chosen exists to read Lovecraft. These will be packed with notes, beautiful art, in a deluxe format.

Around the same time we will announce some other new releases dealing with uncharted territory in the spoken arts.

Although Cadabra isn't a soundtrack label, we feel our offerings would be welcomed. Unlike podcasts and spotify, spoken word on vinyl should be listened to as an experience, it's story telling in it's purist form.

More soon,

J.

[video]https://youtu.be/OZaplAvI9uI[/video]
By Hatter313
Oh....yes please! Sounds great!
By deafmetal
I really like the idea of HP Lovecraft readings on vinyl. I will keep an eye on this.

I was a fan of Cy Thoth from KFJC in Oakland, who had an otherworldly voice, especially when reading. Unfortunately, he passed away in 2013.
By Voodoo_Jim
There is a gorgeous book of Lee Brown Coye from Centipede Press (might be sold out). I'm on board with this, methinks.

What is the subscription price, out of curiosity?
By Cadabra Records
Hey everyone, thanks for your kind words and interest. Here's some more info on Where Is Abby?

Lee Brown Coye (1907-1981) is best known as one of the most original and influential artists to capture the feel of nightmare and unease in the field of illustrative literature. A godfather of the macabre. From the original “Weird Tales” pulp magazine to the finest of “Arkham House Publishing” Lee’s art as proven to live on.

For the first time collected anywhere, are the finest of Lee Brown Coye’s “Chips and Shavings” stories, rarely known until now. Written between 1964 and 1970, these stories originally appeared in the “Mid-York Weekly” newspaper, most of which have not been reprinted since. Brought to life through the readings of son, Robert Coye, you will hear haunting stories the fantastic and the absurd, of folklore and of legend, nightmares and death. The uniqueness and strength of Lee’s art is shown here by the spoken word. Find out why names like Mike Mignola, Guillermo Del Toro, and Stephen King found Lee Brown Coye inspiring.

* First pressing of 500
* 180 gram vinyl
* 350 gsm gatefold jacket printed on reverse board
* 4 panel insert with liner notes.
* First 125 direct orders will receive a print signed by Robert Coye
* In the tradition of H.P. Lovecraft and other classic horror / weird fiction

Here's some info on the other two subscritption releases:

Cadabr-003 - Lee Brown Coye | Scrying Stones & Dolemen & Other Tales | Read by Robert Coye - LP/ CD includes 8 page booklet with liner notes, 180 gram vinyl, gatefold jacket.

Written in 1967 "Scrying Stones and Dolemen" marks Coye’s most powerful story based in New England and Central New York. Written through a series of correspondence letters and phone calls, dark mysteries of the occult and witchcraft unfold.

Coye's “sticks” motifs from “Scrying Stones & Doleman” became a fixture through his art and found their way in the popular film "the Blair witch project" as well as the hit HBO series "True Detective".

Scrying Stones and Dolemen also includes four other stories.

Cadabr-005 Lee Brown Coye’s Complete “Weirdisms” | Read by Robert Coye - 4 x 7” boxset, includes 16 pg booklet.

During Lee Brown Coye’s time at Weird Tales pulp magazine (1945-1952), he was commissioned to illustrate and write a series of single page spotlights of a horrific folklore legend. Lee’s “Weirdisms” became so popular, that he was later commissioned again in the 70”s by horror fiction magazine “Whispers” to create more “Weirdisms”. Lee covered Vampires, Ghosts, Witches and everything in between. Seperated into four 7” ep’s, housed in a box with a 16 page booklet, collects the complete Lee Brown Coye “Weirdisms”. This edition is will be limited to only 500 copies in this format. This release will be companied by sound.

Subscription perks will also include:

* Exclusive color ways (only color available for Where Is Abby and Weirdisms).
* Exclusive T-shirt
* Exclusive 9" x 24" hand screen printed art print signed by Robert Coye.
* First in line for other limited Coye projects including: an ultra limited vinyl toy, Shirts, and a very limited first edition hardcover of a book collecting the best of Coye's "Chips & Shavings" stories.

The price will likely be $139

Photos of the shirt and print are attached.

Voodoo Jim, The Centipede Press book is indeed beautiful, well worth owning for sure. There's also a new Coye book that recently came out from Feral House which is nice too.

By Bezulsqy
Where and when can I subscribe? Love this idea. I see myself sitting in my lounge chair with a nice single malt listening to these records.
By Hatter313
100% in on this, where do we sign up!
By Cadabra Records
Very cool guys, thanks for your support!

Subscriptions along with the general sale of Where Is Abby? Will go on sale July 30th. @cadabrarecords.com

The site is still under construction but will be ready to roll on the sale date. We're also on Instagram too.
By Hatter313
fantastic!
By abedunk
Over the moon for these! Keeping my eyes on your instagram feed....
By Vapormeyer
This sounds really great. Colour me excited.
By Cadabra Records
We have a track up at: Bloody Distusting for all to check out.
By Little Walter
Great story - not particularly keen on Robert Coye's reading, although he has a great voice for it. I guess I'm spoiled by the great spoken word records I do have, but I'd expect more dramatic effect - an entrenching style the work demands. No real fluctuation within each sentence; each one sounds cut from the same cloth.
By Cadabra Records
I hear what you're saying and understand. Have in mind, it was a call between having a voice actor deliver the reading, versus Coye's bloodline. On the long run, fans of Coye's work will appreciate his son doing the reading. Plus, being the last story of the record, the delivery of the reading was intentionally set in this tone.
By Little Walter
Having his "bloodline" read is definitely a wicked touch; I'm still fueled to hear the entire record, which I'll wait to have the whole package to drench myself in before hearing. I'll definitely be subscribing come the 30th.
By Cadabra Records
Awesome : ) If you're familiar with many of the old Caedmon releases, there's a good share of author read stories. These weren't always executed as finely as the voice actor read stories, but were much more personal and direct from the source, which was a plus in my book.
By Cadabra Records
Hi everyone. For those interested, we pushed our sale date to this coming Monday, 8/3 at noon eastern time. One Way Static has been kind enough to carry our record to help save on shipping costs for those who live oversees.

By reddye6
Will the Lovecraft series also be sold as a subscription, or will the records only be sold individually?
By Cadabra Records
Reddye6, we'll have both options.

Since this is the first time Lovecraft has been given the vinyl treatment since the Caedmon records of the 70's, we're going all out.

We'll have official news in a month or so.
By Voodoo_Jim
The orders are live! With shipping (in the US), the subscription totals out to $165.00

By Hatter313
depends on the Tax unfortunately, NY got me for another $8 on top of that. thanks county and state :(

still, totally psyched for this label!
By seb
And for you Euro cats, OWS will have these online in an hour!

LITA too by the way
By Cadabra Records
Thanks Hatter313! Yeah, I will feel the pain come tax season!