Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By datadiscs
Wanted this forum to be one of the first places to drop this info...

DATA DISCS is a new label based in London, solely dedicated to releasing video game soundtracks on vinyl.

We are proud to announce our first titles, STREETS OF RAGE and SHENMUE, produced under an exclusive license with SEGA to develop their back catalogue on vinyl.

Presales for both titles will open on 30th May through www.data-discs.com, with exclusive editions available to early orders. Records will ship in September. Copies will also be available from Mondo.

DATA 001: STREETS OF RAGE

The original soundtrack to the classic SEGA game, newly remastered in collaboration with legendary composer, Yuzo Koshiro. This is the first part of Koshiro’s monumental trilogy, all of which will be released by Data Discs.

Packaged in original artwork sourced from the SEGA archives and available in the following editions:

• 180g translucent red vinyl with black splatter (exclusive to the Data Discs website)
• 180g translucent red vinyl
• 180g black virgin vinyl

All copies include a traditional OBI strip and 2 x lithographic prints featuring artwork from the Japanese and US/EU editions of the game. Initial orders will also include 5 x playing cards featuring original character art, packaged in a hand-stamped envelope (while stocks last).

DATA002: SHENMUE

The original soundtrack to the groundbreaking SEGA game, newly remastered and available for the first time ever on vinyl. A selection of beautiful orchestral tracks from one of the most important games of all time. This release will be available in the following editions:

• 180g translucent blue vinyl with 'colour in colour' effect (exclusive to the Data Discs website)
• 180g translucent blue vinyl
• 180g black virgin vinyl

All copies include a traditional OBI strip, spot varnished cover and a lithographic print. Featuring music by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Ryuji Iuchi, Osamu Murata and Yuzo Koshiro.
By Dollarhyde
Subscribed, hyped for streets of rage. All sounds very promising guys.

Any chance of Sonic on vinyl?
By NMA
Sounds promising ;)
By scottydoo
very excited for these and the possibilities that may come from the relationship with SEGA sooo much stuff id love to see get released.
By Little Walter
@datadiscs - I'd throw a bunch of money at you up-front if you had a subscription package . . . just sayin.

I guess complaining about not enough officially licensed video game soundtracks works. Here's hoping for Sonic.
By eleazar
Would be in , too!!
By shiptoshore
Welcome aboard, guys! The label looks awesome. Will definitely be a customer of yours going forward!

Also, love the Obi strip idea. We are using the same thing on our MOTHER OST and it's looking GREAT!
By colicub
I might have actually shed a tear when I heard about this. Especially as there's going to be the Streets Of Rage trilogy on vinyl. Go Straight on vinyl will no doubt make me scream like a little girl.

It is just going to be first party SEGA games or are you going to go further afield? Because as much as I'm hoping that Rez, Revenge Of Shinobi and the Jet Set Radio games will happen (they're going to happen, right?) I'd love to hear something like Thunderforce IV or Dragon's Fury on vinyl.

Anyway, you will have all of my money. All of it.
By deathwaltz
Good work on the annouce boys.
By stuntcock
This is really cool! Please do House of the Dead and Phantasy Star!
By NathanLurker
Wow I never heard or played any of those 2 games but it sounds super good I will at least get Shenmue, and I'll try to have some money available for street of rage ! Good luck with the label datadiscs, and welcome to the STBC family !
By toosoonjunior
...SAAAAYYYYGGGUUUUHHHHHH...

Super excited for what's to come!
By TheHolocene
I played Streets of Rage 3 a lot! Excited for that one too. Outrun would be superb! And maybe some Afterburner. I spent plenty on that in the arcade
By sonnydexter
Signed up - definitely my kinda thing ... this is awesome news!
By StrangeVices
@datadiscs Many congrats! If i was I ever going to want for one video game OST, it would be SOR! You can't deny those pumping 90's dance vibes.

@Dollarhyde I'm pretty sure Sonic is one of those properties that Sega doesn't allow third parties to license, but I could be wrong so here's hoping @datadiscs can grab Sonic 3!

@colicub Thunderforce IV is the heaviest Sega OST. So sick.

Elemental Master also has a crucial OST for people who are not familiar -
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opR25qik0Lc[/video]

Sorry for all the nonsense. I was a Sega kid growing up. The hardware used to compose and write the Sega scores will sonically shred anything from Nintendo in that era. The chips had so much bass, and the drum machines were much more prominent. That's why the music had so much more of an effect in the games.

By nick_rising
I'm just gonna come right out and say what we're all thinking...

Space Channel 5.
By videodrome1138
The Jet Set Radio soundtrack would be a killer release but I think there would be too much of a hassle with the licensing from all the musicians.

I'm beyond excited for these releases though. I'll for sure be buying everything that gets released.
By datadiscs
Hey guys, apologies for the late reply. Thanks so much for the support!

@colicub & @tigerlab: How could our first release be anything but Streets? So good.

@dollarhyde: Cyborg Justice! It's the only form of justice I recognise.

Thanks everyone, it's gonna be a fun ride :)
By datadiscs
Samples from our remastered Streets of Rage release are now up.

SOUNDCLOUD

Audio sourced from the original NEC PC-88 files, recorded and supplied in 32bit/96kHz by Yuzo Koshiro, in combination with a 32bit/96kHz direct capture from a PAL Mega Drive (HD, VA4, non-TMSS) Yamaha YM2612 sound chip, running at 60Hz through a stereo output mod.