Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
ghostfires wrote:There is one 8-bit soundtrack that I used to play the game three or four times in a day as a child just to listen to. I don't believe I've seen anyone ever talk about it, which is a shame. It's beautiful! It's one I would jump through hoops to own on cassette or vinyl...

Wizards & Warriors -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59oxJMj ... ture=share
That was a good game. I liked Ironsword (wizards and warrior 2) even better! I tried playing it recently...holy shit it's hard. I beat it as a kid, I have no clue how.

By inksb
Data Discs just posted on their Twitter that they had to cancel a release from their 2019 slate due to bootlegging. I find this curious as I don't quite understand how this would effect their sales. The only thing I can think of is that the company that owns the rights just pulled their rights from them because they found out about the bootleg and are pissed. I know my personal belief is if I buy a bootleg record then I will buy the official release if it does come out, I generally buy stuff that has no chance of seeing the light of the day (Nintendo first party soundtracks come to mind, I don't see them producing vinyl editions of SMW in the near future and even if they do they are not licensing it to other companies as Nintendo loves the money and would do it themselves). Most of the bootleg labels I see these days are doing limited 50-250, occasionally something might be available at the 500 mark but those are few and far between. Product sales don't seem to be what would effect Data Discs, especially since a majority of their releases sell out and they do represses.
By NathanLurker
I bought the Lost Highway bootleg thinking I'd buy a legit release of it if it ever came out, and at the time I thought it wouldn't happen. But it did and in the end I never bought the legit version, because so many things are coming out and upgrading bootlegs just prevent you from buying something else.

So then I decided not to buy bootlegs anymore. with some exceptions. I mean, the Texas chainsaw Massacre master tapes are lost, so that bootleg I bought anyway. I feel like bootlegs are not done with care anyway. usually the cover is of poor quality, and if there's custom art it's not good... and mostly, I don't see why I'd encourage a label to continue putting out bootlegs. especially for soundtracks.

I don't judge anyone for having bootlegs, but I think that it's good to be more strict about buying them. It's not like we're lacking things to buy.
By Bezulsqy
I think it is a hypocritical argument stating that the one bootleg is ok to buy and the other isn’t.
I don’t care if people release bootlegs or not nor do I care if people buy bootlegs or not.
I do find it strange that a rights holder doesn’t want to release an official record because of an existing bootleg.
Anyways. My two cents.
By NathanLurker
Mm yeah it is a little bit hypocritical. The master tapes for The Boogeyman are lost but there is still a release that happenned from motionsound and from OWS so there's that.

I think trying to reduce to the maximum and be more strict about our own bootleg purchase is a good move anyway. And more to the point, specifically for videogames, I buy zero bootleg. the music is not lost, it's just a question of release rights and patience, I feel.
I wish they could say what it was. I only own one bootleg myself, but would gladly buy it if it was released officially. I personally don't like to own bootlegs because I like having a well produced official product.

I still think whatever it was would sell well, mainly because Data Discs puts out a fantastic product.
By inksb
Revolver_OcelScott wrote:I wish they could say what it was. I only own one bootleg myself, but would gladly buy it if it was released officially. I personally don't like to own bootlegs because I like having a well produced official product.

I still think whatever it was would sell well, mainly because Data Discs puts out a fantastic product.
Based on the fact that Data Discs has contracts with Sega and Capcom, I don't know of any major Capcom boots in the works but I've seen discussion of Jet Set Radio and then the person behind it on reddit kind of went quiet while also making a few vague comments, I would put money on that being the one that they cancelled. It seems right up their alley.

On a more positive note, I received my copy of Policenauts today. Holy shit this is incredible. If you haven't picked it up already make sure you grab the repress coming in December. And I happened to get a copy of Shinobi 3 for $20 on ebay as well, which makes me happy. Both were delivered today.
By texasvinyl
I have all of the data discs records and also many of the vgm boots, I don't get why this is a thing.

Like I bought the ghost in the shell boot, and when the nice reissue came I bought that. Same with Akira and plenty of others. I have (both!) Mega Man bootlegs, but I also bought Spacelab9's excellent Mega Man release and also pre-ordered the Rockman record from Japan that's coming next month.
By inksb
@texas what is this Rockman record you speak of? I feel like I need it in my collection.

I'm also super jealous that you own all of data discs. I wish I had known about them when they started but didn't discover them until last year. The one I really want in my collection but haven't been able to grab one at a reasonable price yet is Golden Axe. Love those games and their music.
By inksb
Just announced for 2019, THUNDER FORCE IV

Judging by some gameplay on youtube this is going to be a fantastic record. And I'm going to go find a rom to play as this is one I have never heard of before. I always sucked at shmups but really did love the side scrolling one's I played like Gradius 1&2 and some of the R-Types.
By inksb
I've had a pretty good run of luck recently on discogs. With in the last week I've been able to obtain the following

Gunstar Heroes (sealed) - $20
The Revenge of Shinobi (sealed) - $20
Galaxy Force II/Thunder Blade (sealed) - $20
all in one go

Followed by
Super Hang-On (sans Obi-strip, not sure if my OCD can handle this) - $30

and then on reddit I scored
Panzer Dragoon (sealed) - $30 but I got hit was a $10 shipping charge here. Love the score and really wanted to have it so I caved.