Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By layneharvey
anyone else receive this email yet? a bummer for sure for Deep Focus!:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi William,

We got the shipment for the Hole Digger / Trawler release on Friday. Unfortunately, the pressing plant made an error with most of the colored vinyl, by inserting two copies of Trawler in one sleeve. In fact, one of them was pressed on the red vinyl that was supposed to be The Hole Digger.

This means that I'll need to send the black vinyl version of the release. For the inconvenience, I'd like to offer a 10% discount that I'll refund you as soon as possible.

Please accept my apologies. Needless to say, I'm very unhappy with the service I've received from this company and will be seeking a new pressing plant to work with on future releases.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to shoot me an email. In the meantime, I'll get your copy in the mail in the next few days.

Thanks!

Jason Knapfel

------------------------------------------------------------------

that must be very disappointing for them for their very first release, but a nice way to handle things. it is disappointing for me as well, seeing as how i was selected as one of the people that gets the black vinyl edition, when i raced to order the colored edition, but that's the way the cookie crook crumbles.
By toosoonjunior
@layneharvey, a bummer indeed. I also ordered the color version, but I have not received this email yet. I'll update here if I do.
By ambertiger
No I havent had an email yet, I too raced to order the coloured edition on the day of release. I may have to cancel my order & purchase direct from one way static as i am in the club & get 10% discount & free delivery.
By Purplemule74
What a colossal screw-up. I know the record plants are busy, but how can you screw such a simple task up so bad?
By jgibbs4053
I received same email as well
By deepfocusrecords
Hi everyone,

First, I'd just like to thank everyone for your understanding and patience. Also, the emails are being addressed individually as opposed to a mass email, which is why many of you have not seen one yet.

The mess up actually goes beyond the misprinted colored vinyl. As many of you know, the final number of units pressed often runs short or above the number of copies ordered. In this case, there were only 453 copies pressed. Unfortunately, and inexplicably, a chunk of those (about #70-#99) were part of that missing batch. I'm approximating because I'm still going through each copy.

I'm in the early stages of discussions with the company to find out how this happened. But the fact still remains that a very small number that we received (20 or so) were the proper color versions.

If you don't want a black vinyl version in place of the colored vinyl, I'm happy to issue a refund. If you haven't heard from us on an initial email that has been posted in this thread, you're either one of the fortunate early buyers, or will be hearing from me soon. Also, if you want to be proactive and email us that you do or do not want a black vinyl version, that could help expedite the situation.

Bear with me, and again thanks for your support in our first release!

Jason
By toosoonjunior
Sorry to hear you're having a rough go on the first release. I hope it all gets sorted out.
By Purplemule74
Yes, just to note I'm not annoyed with Deep Focus, just that the record presser screwed the first release up so bad.
By abedunk
I received an email from Deep Focus (actually, the message came from Paypal) yesterday telling me that my order has shipped. No email directly from Deep Focus. I'm guessing I got in early enough for the colored vinyl? Fingers crossed!
By liftman2013
Its all a bit confusing really. When I ordered I ordered through paypal but shipping was under-priced. So they sent me a message later asking for extra money on shipping, which ok fair enough.

But ultimately I got order 0002. But I don't believe I was the 2nd record order. I think 6 people had already noted they had ordered on here by then...

But either way it is what it is. I'm just wondering at this point if we are going to get black anyway to cancel it and order through ows instead. With members discount will probably get 10% either way plus free shipping with candyman or something
By deepfocusrecords
liftman2013: If you didn't get an email from us last night, you should be getting colored vinyl. Feel free to email me through the site with your name if you want absolute confirmation.

http://deepfocusrecords.com/contact-us/

As for the numbering with your order, that happened because the orders were processed two ways: Through our credit card processing company or directly through Paypal. I'll look into fixing that for future releases. Thanks.
By liftman2013
Hi guys

No I got the dreaded email this morning as well saying was going to be getting the black, so no point following it up.

Im not having a moan, i know its not your guys fault and beyond your control. I guess the colour one will become pretty rare as thinm i ordered within 1st 5 hours of things

But end of day it will prob now save me money ordering thru OWS
By sonnydexter
Ordered mine through OWS - what are the chances of getting the coloured vinyl?
By sonnydexter
hmmm, the release is now missing from the OWS store ... bigger problems?

update from Seb - all is good and on target for release, oh and reason for dissapearance from store - they sold out :)
By ambertiger
No email for me so hopefully I will be getting a colour one
By toosoonjunior
Update! I received my copy of Hole Digger/Trawler. The package looks great. Lots of liner notes in the gatefold, which I won't spoil. And it looks like I ended up with lucky #13. I'll have to set aside some time this weekend to give it a proper spin while I'm not working.

Thanks, Jason/Deep Focus!

By layneharvey
@toosoonjunior - god that looks fantastic. i ended up with the black vinyl because of the pressing mishap - no. 40-something. it looks great too, but those colors...
By toosoonjunior
Yeah, it's pretty nice. The blue is actually a transparent swirly blue, which ties in to the Trawler theme nicely. I'll try to snap a better shot of that in the sunlight tomorrow. And then a brown-black mixture for the Hole Digger, which is similar to the recent Dagored reissue of Once Upon a Time in the West, if you're familiar with that.

Just a note, my order number was actually #6, so the number on the LP doesn't necessarily relate to your order number.

Briefly dropped the needle on the Trawler this evening, and it sounds promising. Looking forward to giving it a full listen tomorrow.
By Purplemule74
Hello Jason/Deep Focus -

I received my copies from Jason/Deep Focus today. There was a polite short note from Jason inside concerning the problem.

I appreciate Jason communicating to the folks on this Board and the buyers in general. Great customer service and classy.
By toosoonjunior
Yes, the note was a nice touch.
By Ronwell
Hey, I know this is short notice but if you don't respond to my email within the next two days, you're getting a black copy which you didn't order. Oh, and sorry for the two month wait. Here's a few bucks back. WTF??!! This is how you start your label?!
By thedeepness
Great first release Deep Focus. I stayed up really late the other night and listened to the Hole Digger on my headphones in the dark. Headphones is the way to go with this release. A lot of real subtle sound effects. Really clean, quiet pressing.

Bummer about your issues with the pressing plant but thanks for keeping us updated. Looking forward to I Sell the Dead (I have been listening to House of the Devil a bunch recently)
By Voodoo_Jim
I completely missed the drama here - I did end up with the color edition. The note was a nice touch and appreciated. I'm sure they didn't want to come out the gate with this pressing mishap.

I intend to be on board for the next release.
By deepfocusrecords
Sorry that our response wasn't to your liking. The mistake was not under our control, and the reason for giving a short window for response was that pre-orders had to be packed (in numerical order, since they were numbered), so we needed to know where people stood. Either way, if you weren't happy, your purchase would have been refunded in the end.