Talk about ( & to) record labels here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By DISCOSUCKS...
Q.

Do you belieeeve in life after love?
By Pitch
Just been listening to Room 237 - LOUD! It is truly awesome powerful music.

Admiring the new cover too - I just wondered if it is based on an old style of construction, as I don't recall any other albums I own having that solid edge structure? Or is it your invention? Great idea either which way.
By deathwaltz
This was made especially for us , so a totally bespoke sleeve for DW.
By static14
you could build a bomb shelter with these new sleeves. :)
By hncreature
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
By DISCOSUCKS...
Q.

What's in the boooooox??
By siforster
How'd it get buuuurned?
By karloffsidekick
Why is this forum called "Spin The Blackest Circles" when 98% of its participants are obsessed w/ colored vinyl?
By siforster
To be honest, I'm now frantically searching the keymastering handbook to see if me quoting the wrong Wicker Man is a bannable offence...
By hncreature
@Karloffsidekick...did you say participants or labels? Haven't seen a black lp release in awhile - Funny that I asked this question to a friend just yesterday...

"What if one of these releases was put out there as first 1000 on 180g black vinyl and with the next 200 would be some super ginchy colorway...how fast would that sell?"
By karloffsidekick
@Karloffsidekick…did you say participants or labels? Haven’t seen a black lp release in awhile – Funny that I asked this question to a friend just yesterday…

I received a dozen new albums in the mail this week...10 black...1 gold...1 green. Actually, one of the black ones might be a 'variant' which I can then quintuple my money on and buy more virgin black vinyl releases...yay!

“What if one of these releases was put out there as first 1000 on 180g black vinyl and with the next 200 would be some super ginchy colorway…how fast would that sell?”

I'm sure the sheep would buy the first pressing and then compulsively spring for the "ginchy" (while crying about how much money they have to shell out for records).
By hncreature
@karloffsidekick

The over the last two weeks =
22 black
1 brown swirl
1 red / green split
1 swamp green
1 orange
1 orange / black splatter
1 lime green
1 red / white split
1 green / blue merge
1 red / blue splatter
1 blue / grey merge
1 pink

...of the colors only one was available in black...and I got it
By deathwaltz
We did that with the FOG.

We pressed 200 on black vinyl for our launch event. then 700 on haze.
By deathwaltz
Well, we have been using tip on jackets for a little while now but I wanted something totally bespoke and bulletproof. Our manufacturers came up with design and I have to say I love it !
By deathwaltz
He'd chucking chcuk a lot.
By deathwaltz
Don't open till christmas.
By Purplemule74
Hi Spencer -

I'm curious about how much difficulty there is for you to obtain the rights to publish some of this material. For some of this old stuff, how do you even find who owns a copyright to the material? Once you find them, how do you approach this as business so you can get their permission without spending every penny on royalties?
By deathwaltz
Everyone is different
Some are easy some aren't.
I like playing detective !
Interestingly say with SPM Talph thought he owned it so we struck a deal then it turns out Corman did and I only found this out whilst I was speaking to them about FW because Susan knew they owned the rights.
It's tough between paying royalties, production costs & MCPS sometimes it barely seems worth it ;) but what ya gonna do ?
How the hell can't I go after and release these things?
By DISCOSUCKS...
Do you know the way to San Jose?
By DISCOSUCKS...
and...

Shall we play Global Thermonuclear War?
By Purplemule74
Hi Spencer -

I'd love to hear more about how you make it happen. ...and thanks for the info, I find the details about how you make this records come to light very interesting.

Wonderful work BTW, when I'm at record shops here in the states I'm often having the, "Have you heard of Death Waltz?" conversation.

Enjoy a happy holiday!

...and yes, lets play a game of Global Thermonuclear War, followed by a match in the Thunderdome!
By brentonwalter
Since the Mondo maniac is long sold out can I please buy the far superior flesh blood splatter from death waltz already!?
By dumaisaudio
Two questions Spencer -

When you sign a deal, are there restrictions on how many copies you can press? I know there was with The Fog because you mentioned having to go back and get permission to do a second pressing. I was just branching off the discussion about limited pressings that's going on in other threads and wondering about how feasible it is to just keep them in print. It seems if something is dubbed limited it sells out super quick and prices go up, whereas if it's just released and no mention about numbers available is made, then the people who want it can get it at a reasonable price without having to hit F5 the second it's released. That doesn't seem to be an issue with Death Waltz releases (1st press Fog aside), but I was just wondering.

Also, I've seen pictures on Instagram of the full bleed sleeves for Escape From New York and Prince of Darkness, but haven't seen them for sale online. Are DW1-6 all getting this treatment, along with those clear represses at some point? I know you once made mention of selling just the sleeves to those of us who already own several copies, but that was a while ago. If they were full bleed and on clear vinyl, I would definitely buy Zombi and Escape from New York for a third time, probably the others too!
By deathwaltz
I can ask.