Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
I skipped this year as I wasn’t interested in some of it, and I didn’t care for two of the 2018 titles, but I’m back in for this year. This looks like the type of line up we used to get excited about!
By NathanLurker
I'll re-sub this year, I think I want to get all those titles anyway. Might as well get the sub. I think it's pretty good. For some reason I'm least excited about Killer Klowns, which seems to be the one that most people are really excited about. I don't remember much of the score, I mostly just have that memory of the Dickies main song, which is okay, but not truly my kinda jam. Interested in a proper sitting of the full score anyway.

Buying the Sub ends up being only about 10USD more per titles than if I bough the titles separatly anyway. For the difference, I expect I'll enjoy having the sub hoodie, and the Nosferatu Spinature. I've liked most of their sub tees too.
By ScoJo
Am definitely excited about ASA since it's a 'first time' on any format score release and it's bloody wonderful. Somebody here can school me roundly on the righteousness of the Bloodsport score...I know the OG of that one is very scarce these days, I've only seen film once so no recollection.

Carrie will likely be from the expanded 2xCD Kritzerland set so that's pretty hype.

*EDIT* Llstening to Bloodsport full OST on YT now - about 8 seconds into the first score cue I AM IN.
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:39 pm Am definitely excited about ASA since it's a 'first time' on any format score release and it's bloody wonderful. Somebody here can school me roundly on the righteousness of the Bloodsport score...I know the OG of that one is very scarce these days, I've only seen film once so no recollection.

Carrie will likely be from the expanded 2xCD Kritzerland set so that's pretty hype.

*EDIT* Llstening to Bloodsport full OST on YT now - about 8 seconds into the first score cue I AM IN.
Yeah, Bloodsport is a heavy hitter.
By ScoJo
Well after all the excitement of Bride of Frank shipping out earlier than expected, looks like I'll probably be getting this *sometime* in 2021 after all ;-)

Screen shot 2020-12-23 at 15.51.35.png
Screen shot 2020-12-23 at 15.51.35.png (14.79 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
By horrorfromthetv
ScoJo wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:52 pm Well after all the excitement of Bride of Frank shipping out earlier than expected, looks like I'll probably be getting this *sometime* in 2021 after all ;-)

Thats sux. I ordered it this morning and it shipped already but we will see how long it takes to get to me.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:52 pm Well after all the excitement of Bride of Frank shipping out earlier than expected, looks like I'll probably be getting this *sometime* in 2021 after all ;-)

Mine just got here, will spin soon and report.
By inksb
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:12 pm 18LP set for Godzilla coming from Waxwork.

18... Jesus
Using Waxwork math that's $35 per album x 18 plus a $50 box tax so around $680? lol
Realistically I am kind of expecting this to be in the $400-$500 range. I can't imagine it being much cheaper.
By Bezulsqy
I am thinking 440. And I want it. Even without having seen the movies or heard the score.
But after a quick second thought I am passing. Or not. I don’t know. It is a crazy set. And why do I want it? At the moment probably only because it is a crazy set.
By inksb
There's definitely a ton of fantastic music in there but it's kind of excessive. I don't think I'd listen to 18 LPs worth. I want it but have way more pressing things to blow my money on haha
By reddye6
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:20 pm I am thinking 440. And I want it. Even without having seen the movies or heard the score.
But after a quick second thought I am passing. Or not. I don’t know. It is a crazy set. And why do I want it? At the moment probably only because it is a crazy set.
Before you settle on a choice, don't forget, it does come with a slipmat.
By Mateo Sanboval
reddye6 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:36 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:20 pm I am thinking 440. And I want it. Even without having seen the movies or heard the score.
Before you settle on a choice, don't forget, it does come with a slipmat.
By Hatter313
Oh sure, Godzilla gets a box set in one swoop.

Meanwhile f13 has taken 7 years to get to part 8

I know some of you remember the original f13 drop! Oh what halcyon days those were on this board haha

And for those of you with the good fortune to have not been around then....it was a ROUGH couple of days, y’all dodged a pain
By ScoJo
Anyone more versed in the Toho-Verse want to enlighten me what this would entail musically? I'm familiar with the crusty Ifikube-era older stuff which doesn't do anything for me really (I have no nostalgi-deels for GZ I'm afraid, and it just sounds like very crusty, over-emphatic old-school monster music as standalone listen) What I'm asking basically is - as the decades go by, does the GZ-sound-i-verse get funky? Like the Mach Baron stuff from the 70s type funky??
By NathanLurker
Daaamn! That's not very budget friendly, to offer that huuuuge boxset right after the Subscription renewal period. Crazy. I want the boxset even though it will be very hard to spin all of those LPs on the regular. Big orchestral monster scores and horror scores are my jam.
By deafmetal
ScoJo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:27 pm Anyone more versed in the Toho-Verse want to enlighten me what this would entail musically? I'm familiar with the crusty Ifikube-era older stuff which doesn't do anything for me really (I have no nostalgi-deels for GZ I'm afraid, and it just sounds like very crusty, over-emphatic old-school monster music as standalone listen) What I'm asking basically is - as the decades go by, does the GZ-sound-i-verse get funky? Like the Mach Baron stuff from the 70s type funky??
At the end of the day they are giant monster film soundtracks that all attempt to reference the original "crusty Ifukube-era" since Ifukube wrote many of these film scores and his main theme is reused throughout most of the films in varying styles. There are no light-year jumps to full-on jazzfunk OST like anime or other tokusatsu 70's television shows of the time. I would not blind buy this box set unless you are a Godzilla fan or generally enjoy 60's/70's era Japanese kaiju movie soundtracks. There are two standout OST by Riichiro Manabe to check out that have already been made available as bootlegs that dig a bit more into the 70's fuzz/psych bag on some tracks, but do not influence the entire score: Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster and Godzilla vs. Megalon. There are also some much less expensive compilation albums available secondhand from Japan that could be found scattered around the world that have tracks pulled from various Toho Godzilla and other scifi/kaiju films that will be likely far less expensive to acquire than this new Waxwork box set.

ps @hatter - I remember when we were complaining that the blood-filled F13 variant was being sold for $60... and now new LP prices are almost there.